Thread: Adding a 2nd hard drive

Adding a 2nd hard drive

I'm following Hindsdale's How-To on adding a second hard drive to a single drive DTivo. Ok I know I'm impatient but is it possible to just skip to section ten to run MFSADD?

Thanks
    - ruckus

There's a lot of redundancy in Hinsdale's How-To so just pick out the option that fits your situation and skip over the rest. Patience is a virtue when performing a Tivo upgrade so get yourself some. Impatience will only result in frustration so take your time and read, read, read!
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

mfsadd only takes a few seconds. Are you simply adding a second drive? Or are you increasing the size of the master drive? If you are simply adding a secondary drive, I dont believe mfsadd is needed.

I am trying to add an 80 gig drive to the factory 40 gig. On my PC I have TiVo A drive connected as Secondary Master and the 80 gig B drive is connected to the Primary Slave on the secondary IDE. My CD ROM is master on primary IDE. When I run this command:
    mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb

It tells me it cannot find the device.

I tried mounting the drives with
    mount /dev/hdc/ /hdc

I get:
    must specify filesystem.

Am I on the right track?

Reading over the how-to, I realize my last post is in error. The mfsadd function IS the way the capacity of your tivo is increased... Yes, you have to run it.

Well the mount problem is because you did not mention a partition... Your command should look like:

mount /dev/hdc4 /hdc

Did step 7 (backing up your exisitng drive) work ok?

You say that you have the new drive, "...and the 80 gig B drive is connected to the Primary Slave on the secondary IDE." This statement does not make sense. Is the new drive on the primary or secondary IDE cable? Is it jumpered as a slave? Is the primary tivo drive jumpered as the master?

If the 80 gig is on the same ide cable as the tivo A drive then it is the secondary slave (hdd). Change the command to:

mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

Let us know what is happening...

Since you didn't specify that you installed 2.5Xtreme on the original A drive I will assume it is a standard factory drive with no extras installed. If you want to simply add a second drive to a DTivo, use TivoMad with BlessTivo to add the 2nd drive. All it requires is that you "bless" the new B drive so that the original A drive will recognize the additional storage space. You will not lose and recorded programs or settings on the original drive. I strongly recommend backing up your A drive first.

When you're ready to bless the drive, check out section 10, configuration #1, in Hinsdale's original How-To document. Click on the 9th Tee ad at the top of this forum page and go to the Tivo Upgrades section. Scroll down to get to the Hinsdale's How-To link. You'll be taken to a page with links for both Hinsdale's How-To documents (original and MFSTools 2.0 versions). The entire process to bless the new drive takes less than 5 seconds. You do not have to mount anything as the drives are automatically recognized by the boot program, although you do have to specify which drive is the A or B drive. Make sure you set up your CMOS to recognize the drives before you attempt to use the program.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

If he is running 25xtreme on that 40 gig, he can't add the drive without a total re-install of 25xtreme correct ?

I recall seeing that somewhere because the 25xtreme image is actually of a 25 gig and 15 gig and the drive is automatically blessed in the process to come up with the 40 gig image. This can only be done once so if you are going to a larger secondary drive, it must be done at that time.

Correct me if this is wrong.
    Last edited by Animal_Mother; 08-15-2002 at 03:54 PM.

The drive is already Xtreme'd and has some recordings that I'd like to save. Worst case secenario I re-Xtreme and add the second drive. (This is easiest but I figured I try to save the recordings first.)

I did miss-state the drive connections. The drives are connected how the how-to said would be best.
    HDA - CDROM
    HDB - nothing
    HDC - Original Drive
    HDD - New drive

So do I just need to bless the new drive and add it to the Tivo?

Also, the drive being added is a brand new drive. Is it necessary to create a partition on the drive prior to running the BlessTivo or mfsadd?

No, you dont have to do anything to the new drive.

You do have to use mfsadd, though.

Just run the mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdd

That should do it for you.

Let us know how it goes.