Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proven Concept: Tivo Stream Importing

Still no go with the ./rcinsert,
    here is my ls -al

-rwxrwxrwx 1 0 0 11849 Nov 19 02:01 rcinsert.tcl

I was really liberal with the permissions.
    Have a Phillips SA with 3.0 if that helps any.

Originally posted by drewhallward
    Still no go with the ./rcinsert,
    I've had this sort of problem with other scripts before (haven't tried this one), don't really know why, but I can usually get them to work by running it like:

bash-2.02# tivosh rcinsert

Originally posted by rc3105
    you have to include the .tcl extension

./rcinsert.tcl options...

--
    Riley
    I've had the problem with files that have the .tcl there.
    Actually, now that I think about it I think it was a DOS ^M thing (for me at least). Maybe run dos2unix on it if adding the .tcl doesn't work.

Edit:
    Ok, wanted to try it so I transferred over the rcinsert.tcl to my tivo, and the size went from 11,515 bytes to 11,849 bytes (which is the same as yours). This version didn't work. (not found when I tried to run it).
    Then I renamed the rcinsert.tcl to rcinsert on the Windows computer and transferred it again, it stayed at 11,515 bytes and it ran fine.
    It seems that for some reason Windows is adding ^M's during the transfer. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have .tcl files automatically open in a test editor when double-clicked?
    Last edited by el jefe; 11-19-2002 at 01:58 AM.

It does seem to be the whole ^M thing. I am wondering if me unzipping it in solaris has anything to do with it, if anything I thought it would help, dos2unix'ed it and it runs. Now i just have to do it with the rest of the files I guess. Thanks for the help.

dos2unix

Sorry guys I should have posted this earlier. What you ran into was the VERY common file ending error. Essentaily DOS (windows) uses CR while Unix uses CRLF. Most of us have gotten this error from time to time when you transfer files between Unix and Windows boxes. As a note, it is not just scripts that get screwed up. It plays havoc with C files as well.

Well how do you fix this.

One way is a program called dos2unix (unix2dos exists too). The program uses the input as a file and will convert it. Type "dos2unix --help" for help with the program.

(as always this is a tarball not a text file. MODS PLEASE FIX THE DAMN FILE TYPES!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Scenario: Already have DVDs full of tystreams because I ran out of storage.

If I recall, an FSID maxes out at 512 megs, I think.

Since I currently have the full tystreams (didn't use get parts, doh!), what's my recourse?

Can I use tyfilesplit to break the files up into chunks that I can feed back into the tivo? If so, anyone know offhand how many chunks I can get into 512 megs?

That'd be kind of painful I suppose, because then I'd have to copy the whole thing off the DVD first, but if it's the only way to do it, so be it.

Thanks, I'll give the batch file a whirl in a little bit.

Originally posted by rc3105
    the first line of this script

#!/tvbin/tivosh

causes this script to run via tivosh automatically.

...but "#!/tvbin/tivosh^M" doesn't.
    So after a file is screwed up by Windows, this is the line it fails on. But it seems that tivosh can deal with the ^M's at the end of the lines so when you run it explicitly it works.

Not Tivo

This is not a Tivo problem, it is a file type problem. ALL Unix varients have this problem, so do the Macs. Gee if everything by windws has a problem with it shoudlnt it be a Windows problem.

Yes Windows mangles text files. Read Microsft can not follow any conventions. Wether its a text file or crypto.

If you look above I have already attached a fprogam to convert these.

Re: Not Tivo

Originally posted by Torg
    This is not a Tivo problem, it is a file type problem.
    I understand what the problem is and how to fix it, I was just explaining why the #!/tvlib/tivosh wasn't working in this case.

But an actual question is when I ran this to check, I inserted 3 entries in Now Showing that are blank (I didn't have any extracted video or anything, so I just wanted to see if it would run). Now I can't delete them, is there a way?

Just to throw another tool into the mix here if it's not been mentioned before...Anybody using named pipes (aka "fifo"s) to route files between mfs_export, mfs_insert, nc, etc?

If you type:

% mkfifo testpipe

You'll get a "file" named testpipe that sort of queues up whatever you write to it for another file to read. For example, you can run:

% ls > testpipe &

to start an ls process in the background, then

% cat testpipe

will print the output of the ls command, passed through the pipe.

I'm inclined to use take this approach to my tcl scripts that pull/push tystreams to/from the tivo so I don't have to set aside space for .ty files.

I got insertion working on a Dtivo 2.5.2! For a newbie like me, thats quite an accomplishment, but I have a few questions for the gods:

1. My first insertion was a 2 FSID segment (not a complete show - At recording time, I pressed record midshow, then stopped recording mid-show) of these filesizes:

11/22/2002 08:52p 159,383,552 Name-1.ty
    11/22/2002 08:28p 268,435,456 Name-.ty

but the Tivo seems to get confused about the lenght of the show.
    I compared it to the original clip:

Original: 14 minutes of a 3 hour block program on MTV.
    Says 14 minutes in the Show Description screen. According to the Tivo green status graph at bottom during playback, the clip started at 2:24 and ended at 2:38.

Inserted Clip: Says 30 minutes in the description screen, but the green status graph reads correctly.

If I let the inserted clip go all the way to the end, the Tivo will reboot.

Not sure if you can do anything about this now, but thought you may find the bug report useful for future revs.

As this was only my first one I'll try a more 'Normal' clip now - 1/2 hour or 1 hour.

2. Are all the FSID's somehow married together? In other words, If I only extract one part of a multi-part clip, can I reinsert the one part back in as a complete program? Or as another example, If I extract all parts, can I just reinsert one or two part without messing up the Tivo OS?

Thanks again for your hard work!

Now how do I dice off my header chunk? I'm assuming the chunks are fixed-length? Is there a Windows utility? And how do you guage what chunk a commercial is at?

....So many questions, so little time.....

Thanks for the info - I 'll experiment with the chunks.

On another note, Some of the errors I'm getting with rcinsert.tcl are consistent with not enough free disk space, or some sort of timing issue, when allocating space for a part insertion. I'm trying to really put the script through the ringer (working in QA for a large enterprise software company) , and trying to insert at the same time while recording through the Tivo UI. I've seen error occurs when allocatiing for part 0, and then on another try with the same clip, when allocating for part 1, then the script aborts. I've saved the errors and call-stack if interested, but at the risk of making the post too long, I won't post now.

I'm leaning toward more of a free-space issue, and assuming that the script does not call the cleanup routines to clear programs sitting on the bubble if space is needed, like the recording function on the Tivo, is this correct?

After clearing some programs manually, The insertion proceeds without error.

Just when I thought I had the behavoir pegged, It's doing things I dont understand when inserting. Is there an Error code lookup for FsStream object? as in FsStream::Create failed (0x0001102f). I usually see the 1102f code (when allocating part 0 or part 1 on different tries), but now I'm seeing 11006 as well (after a cold-reboot). I have cleared ample free-space, and now I cannot insert anything - Here's the call-stack if you have a minute:

bash-2.02# ./rcinsert.tcl /nfs 'name' 'NameDesc'
    check to see if part 0 exists
    # allocate space & create part 0
    check to see if part 1 exists
    # allocate space & create part 1
    FsStream::Create failed (0x0001102f)
    while executing
    "mfs streamfill 131072 [expr $streamsize / 131072]"
    ("uplevel" body line 38)
    invoked from within
    "uplevel $body"
    invoked from within