Thread: UK Tivo in another pal country

17 UK Tivo in another pal country

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with a uk tivo (v 2.5.5) in another pal country (in my case Australia).

I am trying to update the channel frequencies so that I can use the built in tuner with Australian free to air channels

palmod-2.5.1.o loads but because it was built for running on US tivo's it tries to kick the tuner from ntsc to pal which causes the display to go weird and then the tivo to reboot

I have looked at palmod_c and palmod-2.5.1.c but am struggling....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    David

aussie

When I first started to hack my USA tivo to Pal I had support reading forum msgs om tivocommunity.com. Especialy a dude called "aussie" did a lot of research. haven't see any posts under that name here but you might be able to chase him down. I'm sure he could help you on this one

anyway, what is the difference between gb pal and aussie pal, i can't imagen you have to do the pal-hack on that machine.

Thanks

I've spoken with most of the australian guys - they are all running ntsc machines with the tuner replaced with a pal tuner

my problem is a bit different - need to set the frequencies for australian tv and also the sound - only difference between australian and uk pal is the sound carrier

using the standard uk setup i can get one australian channel - picture no sound. The other australian channels obviously don't fall on standard uk frequencies...........

cheers

david

Originally posted by davidblack
    Thanks

I've spoken with most of the australian guys - they are all running ntsc machines with the tuner replaced with a pal tuner

my problem is a bit different - need to set the frequencies for australian tv and also the sound - only difference between australian and uk pal is the sound carrier

using the standard uk setup i can get one australian channel - picture no sound. The other australian channels obviously don't fall on standard uk frequencies...........

cheers

david
    In the UK our PAL I system only broadcasts in the UHF spectrum (Bands IV and V) I believe that Australia uses VHF spectrum as well.

I also seem to recall that Australia has a 7MHz channel spacing rather than the 8MHz spacing I think we use in the UK? (NTSC M in the US is based on 6MHz?)

It may be that the one channel you can pick up is in the UHF band?

When modifying analogue TV tuners to a different audio spacing (also needed for Australia) it is normally a hardware filter change I think - not sure how Tivo does it's tuning and analogue audio demod - so it may be different.

A lot of the newer tv tuners support multiple versions of pal.

I have brought pc tv cards from the uk to Australia with me and not had any problems getting them to work without modification.

Hoping that the Tivo is the same......

If anyone has any information on the tuner in the UK tivo it would be appreciated

Cheers

David

Hi David,

This is just an idea. Could you put US Tivo software in your machine and do palmod from there? I heard that at least hudges software can be put on phillips machine.

Don't forget to backup just in case it doesn't work

Originally posted by davidblack
    A lot of the newer tv tuners support multiple versions of pal.

I have brought pc tv cards from the uk to Australia with me and not had any problems getting them to work without modification.

Hoping that the Tivo is the same......

If anyone has any information on the tuner in the UK tivo it would be appreciated

Cheers

David
    I guess to go any further we need to work out what the tuner in a UK Thomson Tivo is, and how it works?! (Is it all in a sealed can, or is the analogue and NICAM audio done on the main PCB? Is the tuner module a common design also used in Thomson VCRs?)

It may be, that as you mention above, it is a multi-standard version. However given that the Thomson was specific to the UK market, rather than designed for pan-European sales, that it has a PAL-I only tuner. PC cards are presumably designed for as large a market as possible - so flexibility rather than dedication makes manufacturing sense?

On the other hand ISTR that the NICAM decoding in the Thomson was not done with a dedicated NICAM demod/decode chip (I have assumed this was to allow Tivo to record the NICAM audio stream as a 32k digital stream without dropping it down to analogue and back)- so we may be lucky!

My Tivo still hasn't arrived - so I can't help yet!