Thread: Bash Prompt?

Unhappy Bash Prompt?

I have a stupid question.. hence i am posting in the newbie section.

I have a t-60 which i have put 2.5extreme on. My next step is to get a bash prompt through the serial port. I made my own cable.. but i am not sure if i did it correctly. I dissembled the male side to find out what color wires go to which ports. I found out that pin2=Brown, pin3=red, and pin5=yellow.

This is how i connected to the stereo cable:
    stereo serial
    white------------------red
    yellow------------------yellow
    red----------------------brown

Now my question really is, do i need the satellite hooked up to the reciever to get a bash? I have my computer in a different room so i just brought the t-60 in the computer room and the sat cable doesn't reach. I am using Tera Term with all the correct settings w/ no flow control. Do I need to hit anything in tera term to recieve a signal? The way i am doing it now is open teraterm on com1, connect the serial to the back of the tivo, plug in the tivo.. wait. Nothing ever happens.

Any help? Thanks.

Question Long story short...

To make a long story short..

1) I just want to know if you have to have the sat cable hooked up to get bash. (i wouldn't think so)

2) I have read many posts with different ways of getting bash. Some say you have to hit enter once when you plug tivo in, some say hit enter many times, some say don't hit anything. What do i have to do if i am using 2.5extreme?

Thanks!

Color codes are meaningless. You need to confirm you have the right pins connected to the right parts of the plug.

No, you don't need a sat connection to get the bash prompt.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. I got a new cable and got connected. Everything looks good for now.. Looking forward to tivo! Now to learn tcl...