Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files.

daveinfla, yea, that's what i mean. tivoweb MAY be the reason of your problem. I'm just guessing though.

I get the app error running tytool 5 if I try to 'get' Coldplay / vines Special. I even recorded it twice. Both versions (1 erase #1 and re-recorded it the next day) cause the app to fail & close.

OS here is XP SP1.

Getting NowShowing data...
    Total Size = 5258kbytes in 7.581000 seconds...
    Unknown tag <166>
    tag data <p 14 22:58:31 tcl[362]: Tcl created pool of 1458176 bytes>

Name = 'c:\tivo\Coldplay / Vines Special - FREEVIEW-'
    fsIDs = '1179967/1179969/1179970/1179971/1179972'
    Tivo Address = '192.168.1.222'
    Connected...
    cmd => 'TYSTREAM 1179967/1179969/1179970/1179971/1179972'
    Detected Tivo Type: DTivo
    Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
    Final standardAudioSize = 588
    Final standardFrameLength = 576
    Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
    First Video PTS: 00:02:35.057

It could be because the show's name has a "/" in it. I had to rename the "9/11" shows to "9-11" to download mine.

No the / character shouldn't be a problem. Lemme grab the full list from the source:

Code:
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, "/")))		ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any /s...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, "\\")))	ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any \s...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, ":")))		ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any colons...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, "*")))		ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any *s...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, "?")))		ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any Quesion marks...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, "\"")))	ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any "s...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, "<")))		ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any <s...
    	while ((ptr = strstr(fname2, ">")))		ptr[0] = '-';		// Get rid of any >s...
    That is the list of what I cut out to protect the names of files...

Perhaps it should be a "\/" string to "protect" that character but I don't think that it is special in C/C++.

--jdiner

Alright. It looks like VSplit Alpha #14. Is pretty much ready to roll...

It took a lot longer than I thought it would but the chunk alignment matching engine is now extremely solid. And since that is what will fix the temporal aligment issues as well as the missing data do to -1x4 chunks it was a needed thing.

There are a number of sundry other fixes in it that will make it much more stable for some. I still don't see (ever) many of the problems being sent to me from others but hey... them's the breaks.

Right now I have it running over my test bed one last time. There are over 40 1 hour shows in the test bed now so it takes awhile. One of these days...

Anyway, just wanted to let me people know what is going on. I actually want to test and fix one more thing but it is pretty minor so it should not need re-running the test bed. Recently people have been sending me bad clips that contain reseting audio PTS values. Which is wierd. Once again mine never does it, so... Anyway the new alignment code will make it possible to catch these and correctly determine what is going on.

--jdiner

Oh man. Corner case after corner case. I am getting really tired of trying to fix this one. When the PTS timestamps reset... I don't have enough test clips so I have to make due with kind of guessing and what types of things can happen. No idea if they ever really do.

Anyone out there have a TyStreams where the PTS values reset in the middle? I do believe it will be a stand-alone issue only.

--jdiner

How can we tell? I assume vsplit (v13) will give some error message?

I know when 3.0 came along, the green bar went away. Could your changes have happened at the same time?

Ah that is a very good point.

You can tell because all of a sudden the audio and video PTS data will be off. You will start to see OOB messages from VSplit that indicate that every single chunk past a certain point is off.

I have found 2 more bad ones from someone that put it on my staging FTP site. So I have a bit better notion of what can happen now. But do keep in mind that it appears it can happen in either a SATivo or a DTivo stream.

--jdiner

"/" problem

Originally posted by jdiner
    No the / character shouldn't be a problem. ...--jdiner
    Jdiner--I'm having exactly the same problem as tdavis80, but with a different show that has the "/" character. The show I'm trying to extract is yesterday's Smallville, which is titled "Pilot/Metamorphosis". I have downloaded lots of other shows, including one after this problem with no trouble.
    You can get around the crash by setting Tytool in Tystream mode instead of VSplit, but then the client just gives an error that it can't open the output file. (Sorry at work, so don't have the exact language in front of me.)
    I'm using 5r2 with WinXP SP1 also. I see your code above, but from my admitedly uneducated view it looks like it either isn't working or the "/" is tripping it up somewhere else in the process.

I will protect it in the next release. It is easy enough to do for a cost of 1 more byte in size...

--jdiner

Ah ha. I begin to see why people have not thought that mux'ing and proper MPEG-2 Program Stream output was the holy grail of all of this.

We have been talking 2 totally different things. And now I am not sure which is better. Or if there is even a better.

I have been planning on making something like the DVD-VCD... In essence a VCD formatted disk that is just 4.7 gig in size and not 640-700meg in size. www.vcdhelp.com has a good explaination of this.

This is why I have always planned and worked towards good output. Then take mux'ing 1 step further to a program stream that includes RIFF headers, a .dat file, and you can just burn the pig.

However in looking over some of the FAQs on TyDVD's and what not it appears that people are not doing this. But are making DVDs that are tricked out to look like real DVDs...

So 1 question... Why? Why go through the headaches of changing a few header values if the other style works? Sync would be maintained etc...

What are the Pro's and Con's that people see that made them choose 1 over the other?

--jdiner

Originally posted by jdiner
    ...Why go through the headaches of changing a few header values if the other style works? Sync would be maintained etc...
    Well, here's one answer, I DIDN'T KNOW THERE WAS ANY OTHER WAY! i.e. if there is a way to create a "VCD" on a DVD platter that will play in a set-top player then I don't know about it. But I will look at vcdhelp when it's working again.

I think there are some players that will play a DVD that's just had an mpeg2 file copied onto it, but I don't think my player will read such a thing. In fact my player thinks a VCD is an 1150kbps bitrate and 44.1kHz audio etc. So I take the MPEG2 file and prettify it for DVD by running it thru an authoring program.

I must confess to some concern about why such a disconnect exists between what you are doing and what people are expecting. Maybe somewhere in your 500-odd posts there is one that explains exactly what You have been doing to archive your Tivo recordings for both posterity and easy playback?
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

My hope was that jdiners work was going towards VOB files that are DVD compliant.

vcds

VCDs can not have multichannel audio, such as Dolby Digital. That's a good reason, in my opinion, to use the DVD format instead.

One reason to want DVD

I want menu screens on the DVDs I make for my TV shows. Nothing fancy, just the names of the episodes so I can quickly choose the one I want. As far as I know, VCDs don't have any notion of menus; the best you could do would be chapter stops, which I'd instead want to use (on some shows) for scene access within a show.

That said, as long as the DVDs work on my equipment, I'm not too concerned if they break on half the DVD players out there. These discs will be more for my use than for loaning out to other people.

The experience I want to end up with is to pop a DVD into the player, get a menu of the three or four episodes of show X, choose the one I want, and hit the chapter advance button a couple times to get to the particular scene I'm interested in. Not seeing any hint of a commercial would be swell too!

Oh, and Chimera's point about multichannel audio is a great one too. Several of the shows I want to archive have Dolby Digital audio.