Page 21 of 70 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files.

Re: Editing

Originally posted by koreth
    Here's a thread on the AVS Forum about software that'll cut MPEG-2 files on I-frame boundaries. It's geared toward editing HDTV recordings but maybe it'd be of use for editing TiVo shows as well.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=175352
    There's also a good discussion at the GOPchop home page:
    http://outflux.net/unix/software/GOPchop/
    GNU and the author has some good comments.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Nitpicky Bug in VSplit

Hi,

Thanks for vsplit, and now tytool. I cant get my friends to watch new shows unless I give it to them on SVCD, and now DVD.

One little thing though, if you encounter an read error when reading from the ty stream, I think you assume its the EOF and exit with out any notice to the user. I was doing vsplit from a share and it was exiting prematurely due to a network problem I had, but not telling me so. I couldn't figure out why it wasn't splitting correctly on one machine but not the other. I fixed my network error and can now split correctly on both machines.

Thanks.

VSplit-Mux #1a...

Ok. Ignoring attempts that never made it very far a few months ago. We have here version #1a of of the new mux'ing code.

It took longer than I would have liked, but I found out some rather interesting things about mux'ing and how and why it works. Using that, in future versions, we should be able to dump some of the padding and reduce the size of the output files even further.

Anyway the details of this release:

1- It is as expect constructed on top of the latest version, #13c, splitting engine. This means that if it was considered good while splitting before, it will be considered good now...

2- It also means that the interface sucks for this version. The command line just adds a -m and is still the same baring that:

vsplit -m source.ty output.m2v output.m2a > output.txt

What this does is -m to turn on the mux'ing. The multiplexed file will then be in output.m2v, the output.m2a is required to be on the command line thanks to existing splitting checks but nothing will get put into it. I know I know that kind of thing sucks but I have not taken the time to go back over it and redo that code. At some point in the future...

3- Run it from the command line on the small test clips you made. BUT MAKE SURE TO USE THE > REDIRECTION... the debug code is always on in this release and it always generates a ton of information that is by and large useless even to me at the this point. So send it to a file rather than slowing things down by having it scroll by.

4- This test release does not include any audio... Most of the time I spent today was in trying to get the frame rate working right for the video. It was a pain to say the least. But we need the video to be playing smoothly to be able to determine that sync...

5- This test will run for only 10 SECONDS worth of output. The code itself will run for longer than 10 seconds, have no fear of that. But I wanted to limit the kinds of results I get reported. So no audio issues yet, not long duration drift etc...

6- There is one currently unhandled case. DO NOT RUN THE PROGRAM FROM A .BAT FILE... If this case occurs this line will appear:

#2 We have only a really small chunk left. Pad the header!

It is waiting for a return to be enter to continue... Don't try to play the MPEG stream. Things are just plain off when this occurs. For now save these TyStreams as the next test release will address this but for now just ignore these.

So what I would like to know about this one:

Does it play smoothly. No pops, skips, jerks etc...

If it does, let me know what setup (codec/player tool) worked.
    If it does not, well then I want the same info. Codec and player tool where things are not smooth.

That way we can all see where we stand.

--jdiner

Alright, saw this post when I woke upthis morning and I have run a few preliminary tests. First let me ask, is this code supposed to work for SA tivo streams? The testing I did was on last nights episode of The Sopranos, pulled off of an SA Tivo (with Save Disk Space turned off). I used TyFileSplit to break out some test clips as follows:
    Clip #1 - Starting at chunk 1, 250 chunks
    Clip #2 - Starting at chunk 0, 250 chunks
    Clip #3 - Starting at chunk 1000, 250 chunks

When I run vsplit -m on clips #1 and #2, vsplit crashes. (both times it crashed at offset 00001120 if that helps at all) vsplit -m on clip #3 completes successfully.

I can't view the clips generated from #1 or #2, they crash my player. (BSplayer, PowerDVD codec) I can view clip #3, the video is jerky and has some pretty major macroblock problems when it does ****.

If this version is indeed supposed to work on SA tivos, I'll do more testing when I get home from work... let me know if you want the txt otuput from any of those or the ty streams themselves.

OtakuCODE

Re: VSplit-Mux #1a...

Originally posted by jdiner
    6- There is one currently unhandled case. DO NOT RUN THE PROGRAM FROM A .BAT FILE... If this case occurs this line will appear:

#2 We have only a really small chunk left. Pad the header!

It is waiting for a return to be enter to continue... Don't try to play the MPEG stream. Things are just plain off when this occurs. For now save these TyStreams as the next test release will address this but for now just ignore these.

--jdiner
    Not sure if it's the same code or something else, but on WinXP, running from the command line, I get about 600k of output, and it hangs with the #2 message above. No batch file involved.

I can press enter and it goes, but I'm not sure of the validity of the test under these circumstances. If I kill the process instead of hitting enter, the output is playable. If I hit enter, it is not.
    Last edited by Kythorn; 10-07-2002 at 08:11 AM.

Re: Re: VSplit-Mux #1a...

Originally posted by Kythorn
    Not sure if it's the same code or something else, but on WinXP, running from the command line, I get about 600k of output, and it hangs with the #2 message above. No batch file involved.

I can press enter and it goes, but I'm not sure of the validity of the test under these circumstances. If I kill the process instead of hitting enter, the output is playable. If I hit enter, it is not.
    If you kill it it would be playable because things never actually get off. Nothing is written in off positions to the file.

I will be finishing the #2 message code so that it works right. But in my test bed, I guess I just got lucky, there was 1 in 40 that had it. I was hoping it would be rare enough to let people try something things without constantly running into it. Looks like it is way more common than I expected...

So the part that plays... Is it long enough to determine if things are playing right? For me here on this end things do play as expected using PowerDVD as the player.

--jdiner

Originally posted by otakucode
    If this version is indeed supposed to work on SA tivos, I'll do more testing when I get home from work... let me know if you want the txt otuput from any of those or the ty streams themselves.
    Ah. Sorry. I was going to make anote of that... But when doing the post I got a phone call that lasted 2 hours and 27 minutes and I just simply forgot.

But no. There are some things in this version that I do not calculate but rather use my observed DTivo values for. While I have not tested it I DO NOT EXPECT IT TO WORK on SA Tivo clips. But it will before things are done.

I am focusing on the DTivo stuff because it it is the hard/challenging part. I can mux SA Tivo streams with out programs but for me nothing does a decent job with DTivo. So I am starting there...

--jdiner

Re: Re: Re: VSplit-Mux #1a...

Originally posted by jdiner

So the part that plays... Is it long enough to determine if things are playing right? For me here on this end things do play as expected using PowerDVD as the player.

--jdiner
    Well the (short) piece that plays if I kill it doesn't stutter or anything in all the software players that I tried. It was so short that I didn't bother burning it to try in a hardware player though...

The code produces good clips on 10 of my .ty files. On one of them (captured from Showtime) the resulting MPEG file causes both WinDVD and PowerDVD to crash after a couple seconds. I'll PM you the URL to a .ty clip that produces the bad file.

Koreth and Kythorn:

Thanks for testing it. For you and for one and all here is a new version. It is #1b. It has the #2 support code in it and a corner-case fix that I was unaware of.

Kythorn on burning it out. I would hold off on that for 2 more versions, assuming all is well. The next will run for the length of the clip and the one after will have the audio put back in...

Koreth please try it again with that one clip was the bad. I found one that crashed for me as well which led to the current #1b version. Hopefully it will not crash anymore and that was the same corner case. If it does crash the player, then please let me know and I can try to specifically figure out what is wrong with that 1 clip.

New in this version:

1- The #2 will still print but it will no longer stop. Output is padded appropriate and things stay in line. My test bed now runs and plays in all sets.

2- There was a fix for a bad corner-case put in place. For some unknown reason if it was off by 2 bytes it slipped through and from there on out things were off. This caused PowerDVD and Media Player for crash on me. Instant and dead in the same visual place every time.

3- One other small fix in the internals of the program... A bad if that was running an uneeded block of code. If it was exactly full with nothing left over, almost never happens i.e. once in 40 test clips, it was trying to pad it. It did not pad it since there was no need to, but why call needless code and slow things down.

4- Also a "there is nothing left" short cut was added. Once again for speed reasons and as a just-in-case option.

5- Also the version information was changed to try and make it easier to tell which is with in this... Now lists as Vsplit #13 - mux1b...

--jdiner

Originally posted by koreth
    The code produces good clips on 10 of my .ty files. On one of them (captured from Showtime) the resulting MPEG file causes both WinDVD and PowerDVD to crash after a couple seconds. I'll PM you the URL to a .ty clip that produces the bad file.
    Ah sweet. I got that bad clip from you, and tried it. It now plays correctly in PowerDVD here on my machine. So it was the same corner-case. I thought it would be as I couldn't find any more...

--jdiner

The new version fixes that problem .ty for me too.

I can't view the output over terminal server, but I can verify it now runs to the end of the file, as far as I can tell.

I will let you know how it looks when they unchain me from my desk and I get to go home.

FYI... the previous version seemed to produce jerky output with large numbers of artifacts (UK SA Tivo streams playing back with PowerDVD), but the new version (mux-1b) seems to work OK so far!

All the files I have play perfectly (other than it is only 10 sec's and no audio <grin>) in Power DVD XP, but bomb WMP (but I hate that anyways and really don't care if it works there as long as it works in my Apex).

Can't wait for the next version....

THANKS tons JDINER