Page 22 of 70 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files.

The 10 seconds of output look good. Ran through about 400 seconds worth twice. A couple were vaguely questionable that I've put aside for now, 10 seconds is kind of hard to tell with, but by and large they look pretty good.

Bad Binding in the Server

Hi,

I get this error when tserver_mfs5 crashed. To avoid this error you need to set the listening socket with SO_REUSE, so that when I restart it I dont have to wait for the IP stack to clean itself up.

Thanks.

jdiner,

Tested version Alpha #13c - mux1b with several different clips. All of them seem to play very well in both WMP and Cowon Media Player. I was able to play, pause and seek with ease...

Also, I renamed the video output to .mpg and created a DVD with MGI Video Wave v5. Burned the DVD with my HP dvd200i (using Nero 5.x.x) to a DVD+RW (didn't want to waste a good disc on 10 secs) and then was successful playing it on my JVC XV-S502. What's interesting here is that my JVC which is VERY strict about playing the RW formats and played it smoothly.

I have the following Video Codecs installed on a XP box:

Cinepak Codec by Radius Inc.
    DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Video Codec (Fast-Motion)
    DivX ;-) MPEG-4 Video Codec (Low-Motion)
    DVSoft (tm)
    Indeo codec by Intel
    Indeo video 5.10
    ir41_32.ax
    iyuv_32.dll
    Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec v3
    Microsoft RLE Codec
    Microsoft Video 1
    msh261.drv
    msh263.drv
    msyuv.dll
    tsbyuv.dll
    XviD MPEG-4 Video Codec

Thanks for all of your hard work. I anxiously await the next rev.
    -Bronco

New Thread

Is it just me or do I feel a new thread coming...?
    -Bronco

Originally posted by bronco13
    jdiner,

Tested version Alpha #13c - mux1b with several different clips. All of them seem to play very well in both WMP and Cowon Media Player. I was able to play, pause and seek with ease...

Also, I renamed the video output to .mpg and created a DVD with MGI Video Wave v5. Burned the DVD with my HP dvd200i (using Nero 5.x.x) to a DVD+RW (didn't want to waste a good disc on 10 secs) and then was successful playing it on my JVC XV-S502. What's interesting here is that my JVC which is VERY strict about playing the RW formats and played it smoothly.
    Wow. Thanks. That is good work. The new versions comes well... right now.

--jdiner

Re: New Thread

Is it just me or do I feel a new thread coming...?
    Nope. Just you.

I really would rather stay right here for now. So that if anyone comes in "now" to what is going on they can read the history we have here. Once it appears to really be working we can move onto a "testing" forum if people want to.

--jdiner

VSPLIT #13 Mux 1c...

Alright folks here it is...

This version of VsplitMux has the following new things:

1- This version now cleans up the linked list used within it. That was one of the reasons for only going 10 seconds. I was not cleaning up just kind of dumping things.

But that behaviour came because I knew I was only queueing 10 seconds worth of nodes. So it was kind of a catch-22. Now no memory is lost...

It made it very easy however to test things. Being only 10 seconds long. PowerDVD remembers the playlist, other tools do too, and I could leave PowerDVD open, run the program, and then hit play to load and run the latest output. Then go back to the source, lather, rinse and repeat.

2- Having said that, item #1 that is, this version will now run for the full length of the TyStream file. Please stick to the five minute clips. For now what I specifically want to know is if the 5 minutes clips I asked for continue to play smoothly. For me they all do. So now it is everyone elses turn to chime in. Does it play? Does it not?

3- Many thanks to the testers that helped me find the bug in the 1a code that led to 1b. Once I widened my testbed to include some new test clips from others it made a real difference.

4- The interface to this version remains the same. Except for the #2 lines. While they still print, along with the #1 case, and the #3, but it no longer wants a return. Infact there are once again not getchar() calls in the code. So it can now be run from a batch file as desired to automate the testing of things.

Alright, that is pretty much it. Give it a shot and see what happens. If you run into new problems give me a shout.

Once I get enough feedback on this version I will move onto the next version, which Ta-Da includes sound. The next version will once again contain some limiting code so that it will produce forcibly short output. Probably limit it to 3-5 minutes total.

Not trying to tease people. But I want to make sure of little things like "we start sync'ed, and stay there" rather than having people say "I did a 3 hour clip and it was off at the end" at this point that is less than helpfull...

--jdiner

Oh... and BTW. A couple of thoughts I forgot to mention. A 9 hour meeting today that ending at 10:30pm kind of zapped my brain. So here they are...

The crashes some people are seeing with WMP... If you see the crash before anything appears on the screen. It is a my bad, with a their bad at the same time.

my bad == I told the program stream via the correct headers that the audio was there, but then there never is any. The crash is in the mpeg2-splitter system. I have no idea why?!!? that makes them crash but there you are.

their bad == Why on earth is no audio enough to make it crash?

If I turn off the "audio is here and like this" portion of the header all works well. But since we need it I never bothered...

I do believe I have figured out why editing of Tmpgenc and other streams behaves to badly. It boils down quite literally do bad mux'ing. Not that mine is perfect but they did something that is plain and simply wrong by definition...

If people want a more detailed explanation of all of this I will provide one. So shout, or not you decide.

--jdiner

Tried this new version on a couple clips (the first 125MB of a couple .ty files -- should I be doing this using the -l option in vsplit, and if so, how many chunks in a second of video?) Anyway, the clips play back in both WinDVD and PowerDVD. In WinDVD, the play timer runs backwards sometimes! My clips are about 5 minutes, but the timer has only gotten up to about 1:05 by the time they end. I can watch it go 0:00, 0:01 (where it stays for several seconds), 0:02, 0:03, 0:04, 0:03, 0:04, 0:03, 0:04, 0:05...

PowerDVD, on the other hand, shows the elapsed time just fine but when I try seeking (which works in WinDVD), I get a frozen frame. I can seek around and get different frames, and they look like they're from about the right points in the show, but it's like PowerDVD doesn't know how to get the video moving again. (Oddly, the elapsed time counter still ticks away while I'm looking at these frozen frames.)

Let me know if you want sample clips, but I imagine this is known behavior.

Oh, and if it's not too much hassle, an explanation of what TMPGEnc is doing wrong would be swell. If nothing else, it'll be something we can point out to TMPGEnc's author and hopefully get a fix! Getting well-formed MPEG streams from that app is in everyone's best interest...

Alpha #13c - mux1c

I tested version 'c' against all clips that I'm certain are good and was again able to play them in both WMP and Cowon.

This time however I was only able to play and pause... No seek. However I did use three separate clips which were 5, 15, and 30 minutes long.

I took a 30 minute episode of Will and Grace, did a quick master with VideoWave 5, and then burned it with Nero. Again, it worked like a charm on my JVC which is very particular.

I should note that VideoWave 5 transcodes the stream which enables me to seek when played on the JVC.

Thanks again jdiner!
    -Bronco

Originally posted by koreth

should I be doing this using the -l option in vsplit, and if so, how many chunks in a second of video?
    Either that or use TyFileSplit. That is what I did to grab out of the middle, not that that matter, but where there was somthing obvious to check sync with.

In WinDVD, the play timer runs backwards sometimes! My clips are about 5 minutes, but the timer has only gotten up to about 1:05 by the time they end. I can watch it go 0:00, 0:01 (where it stays for several seconds), 0:02, 0:03, 0:04, 0:03, 0:04, 0:03, 0:04, 0:05...
    Yeah. What that means is that my SCR calculation code is not running quite right yet. I knew that, now you know that, but I am working on it. Basically the deal is this.

- The SCR value is used to tell where in terms of time the player is "really at". Mine is off as I try out idea to work on VBR sources... The full idea is not implemented yet...

- There are also timestamps, PTS and DTS, in the data stream which give a working reference of "we are here now".

- Some programs ignore the SCR and some use it. The problem right now is that the SCR is getting there to early or to late, right now it includes the audio values but there is no audio!, so it gets off. Then a hard fast timestamp is seen and WinDVD is reseting to that hence the rotating numbers.

PowerDVD, on the other hand, shows the elapsed time just fine but when I try seeking (which works in WinDVD), I get a frozen frame. I can seek around and get different frames, and they look like they're from about the right points in the show, but it's like PowerDVD doesn't know how to get the video moving again. (Oddly, the elapsed time counter still ticks away while I'm looking at these frozen frames.)

Let me know if you want sample clips, but I imagine this is known behavior.
    Yeah. Mine does the same thing. I just wanted to make sure others were seeing the same thing before moving on.

As for PowerDVD freezing. Mine the same thing if I sync in the first 30% of the clip, so based on length it changes, but if I seek within the rest of it it will pause for a second or 2, probably looking for audio, and then start playing very normally. Can you try that part out... seeking to the end or near the middle end of the mpg file.

--jdiner

Re: Alpha #13c - mux1c

I should note that VideoWave 5 transcodes the stream which enables me to seek when played on the JVC.
    If it is truely re-encoding them, transcoding, then having the play only proves they have a good transcoding engine and really says very little about what the mux'er is producing...

Drat... and I thought we were closer than we are.

--jdiner

Originally posted by koreth
    Oh, and if it's not too much hassle, an explanation of what TMPGEnc is doing wrong would be swell. If nothing else, it'll be something we can point out to TMPGEnc's author and hopefully get a fix! Getting well-formed MPEG streams from that app is in everyone's best interest...
    Ok. I will work something up for now I am trying to fix the SCR calulation and I am taking the "there will be audio" out to see if it helps with the seeking issue.

It will just take me awhile to write up what is going on and I will wait for a time when i need a bit of a break.

--jdiner

Re: VSPLIT #13 Mux 1c...

Originally posted by jdiner
    2- Having said that, item #1 that is, this version will now run for the full length of the TyStream file. Please stick to the five minute clips. For now what I specifically want to know is if the 5 minutes clips I asked for continue to play smoothly. For me they all do. So now it is everyone elses turn to chime in. Does it play? Does it not?
    I haven't looked at every second of every clip in my testbed, but spot checks show no problems in smoothness of playback. I am using zoom player and the elecard v2.0 beta codec.

All of my test clips are 8,500 chunks long which works out to around 4:40. All my test clips are from an SA at high quality with VBR turned on.

The log files are huge (22,500KB ! on average). Some stastics...
    number of "1#" messages in a single clip: 23,600
    number of "2#" messages in a single clip: 275
    number of "3#" messages in a single clip: 144,100

Everything looks great to me. I really appreciate all of your hard work Jdiner. Makes all the waiting seems like nothing