Page 27 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files.

Hehe, correction, IBM *used to* buy their drive components from the lowest bidder... they have stopped manufacturing hard drives... because their last models were so unstable they got sued in a class action lawsuit (no idea if they won or lost or if its still ongoing)...

Rather than RAID 5 which can get expensive even with IDE, just get a DVD-R once you get the muxing working and write DVDs... then get a couple 224-CD cases to put em in

OtakuCODE

Originally posted by otakucode
    Rather than RAID 5 which can get expensive even with IDE, just get a DVD-R once you get the muxing working and write DVDs... then get a couple 224-CD cases to put em in
    Well it only takes on additional drive to create a Raid5 array. So let's see, 120GB 7200RPM drive from Fry's is $109. 120GB worth of DVD-R is $250 for a drive plus $30 worth of media.

Wonder which one is really more expensive...

I know, I know, the DVD-R is useful in other ways too, but I still think Raid 5 is sensible given the overall cost. Hmm, would this be a good time to mention that I am just using Raid 0 on my own systems? Practice what you preach? No doubt by divine intervention one of my arrays will fail by the time I get home tonight.
    Last edited by edpuffmonster; 10-10-2002 at 07:52 PM.

Back to the Muxing

Jdiner,
    All my shows play fine and in sync (PowerDVD xp) for 40 - 50 seconds. Then it gets chunky/jerky on the video, but audio goes fine.

Can't wait for the full version. I can smell the DVD's burning now.

As far as the RAID, you might as well buy a Quantom Snap or other NAS device. You can pick them up for $1000 or less and it is transportable between any computer system.

I run RAID 5. RAID is great. It is not however, a viable backup solution. It will save me from a drive failing, but it won't save me from accidental deletions, or situations where a program corrupts an open file.

It's great for what it does - but I highly suggest having a backup plan in addition to it.

With that said, there's still no cheap and easy answer. Tapes aren't cheap, and they can and will fail. Lab tests and marketing mumbo jumbo aside, I still don't believe that cdrs and dvdrs will last long enough to be viable for archival purposes.

I'm currently storing all my tystreams on dvd-r and the array, but I'm not convinced it's the best method, only that it's all I've been able to reasonably come up with at this time.

Originally posted by edpuffmonster
    120GB 7200RPM drive from Fry's is $109.
    When was this? And which branch? I've been on the lookout for cheap 120G drives. Last time I checked they had 100Gb for $99 but 120Gb was about $200 with a rebate.
    SVR 2000 running 3.0 with 1x160Gb and Lifetime Sub
    SAT-T60 running 3.1 with 1x250Gb and Turbonet over 802.11

Originally posted by Kythorn
    With that said, there's still no cheap and easy answer.
    Fast. Cheap. Reliable. Pick any two.

wrt: 120G drives - go to http://www.gotapex.com NOW and you'll see 160G drives for $115 mail order. Maxtors w/8M buffers. Not bad. BUT you have to use an ATA133 to see anything over 137G.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

25 Bollocks

Update: Ugh! I`m so tempted to get this.
    Must...stay....away...from...the...checkout...now...button.......
    Update2: Looks like they pulled it. You can get it from
    Zones for $116.99 plus shipping now. ZONES
    Update3: Pulled at both stores.
    Bollocks

Hang out at http://www.spoofee.com and you'll see good deal soon enough. In the past 2 months I've managed to score 6 40X+ CDRW drives at $0-$20 after rebate, a 40G Maxtor for $10, 80G Maxtors for $50 and a 120G Maxtor for $100. Only good in the U.S., though. Oh, they also have lots of full rebate spindles of CDRs. Keep the points that are on Imation products. Collect enough and you can actually get some good stuff. There's a 17" monitor at the top tier. Pretty close to that myself.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Alright. Well I do apologize for not getting a next version out tonight. I spent some time trying to get my drive working enough to get data off. But it looks like the logic board on it got slagged and I am simply out of luck.

So for those saving shows at some point it would be great to leech off of you. Not sure of the best way as they are huge. But I can at that time provide DVD's or whatever to try and get it all to work. Thanks to all that offered...

As for the rest of it. I know what comes next in the work I am doing. I just didn't have the steam for it tonight. I will try to get it early tommorow. I will provide a mechanism to pick the frame rate to mux with, at least that is what I plan now, and a version that fixes the SCR reseting issue. It was just something dumb that I did that caused the problem.

Again sorry. But I wanted to know if I was going to get any data back or if I was truly going to have lost all of that. And then I got bummed enough to just want to sit here and play a game for awhile.

--jdiner

Well, the good news is...

if it's just the logic board, then the data is still in tact... If you can find another logic board, you should be in good shape...

-- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

jdiner,

What kind of drive do you have (model#, manufacturer)? I will certainly look through my pile and see if I can get you a logic board. If not, maybe someone else has one that you can use.

Lemmeno

Jdiner,

What kind of IBM hard drive was it? SCSI, IDE, model number?

I have access to a few IBM drives, if one of them is the same as yours I would be willing to swap the electronics board and do a backup of your dead drive.

Not to worry...I already have promised you the MacGyver episodes...I also have Enterprise and Smallville (all WideScreen, of course) so I'll add those to the list. If you need something else please let me know.

As for the HD's...if you need help with them I have access to a clean room. As long as the platters are not physically damaged we might be able to help you out.

Originally posted by jdiner
    Welp folks. I am tempted to quit right now and just give up on this tivo stuff...

I went downstairs to test the latest version on the player I have hooked up to my tv to find that my machine down there, where I have been storing all of my transcoded shows for the last year, and my unprocessed TyStreams from my Tivos had a hard drive fail.

My raid array is now a worthless pile of junk. I can't tell you how frustrating that is... I could just scream. All of last season of Enterprise, Smallville, etc... Just gone. Maybe IBM can pull the data off of the drive if I warantee it. But come on... the drive is about... 10 months old.

--jdiner

vsplit13c stopping - Where do you want the sample files?

jdiner:

I have a couple of files ready to send to you. Vsplit13c just stops in the these files, like it thinks it is at the end. I've used tysplitfile.exe to cut the files 30-50 chuncks before and after vsplit13c stops.

How do I get the files to you?

Thanks.