Page 24 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files.

Muxing to PS or SVCD?

Quick question for you jdiner :

When your muxer is finished, will we have the choice of
    MPEG-2 Program Stream & MPEG-2 SVCD?

Reason i ask is because some DVD Players (like mine)
    choke on PS but work with SVCD.

Thanks

Re: Muxing to PS or SVCD?

Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
    Quick question for you jdiner :

When your muxer is finished, will we have the choice of
    MPEG-2 Program Stream & MPEG-2 SVCD?

Reason i ask is because some DVD Players (like mine)
    choke on PS but work with SVCD.
    Ummm. Define finished. At first no. I would have to figure out what the real differences are. At the moment I think it deals with the 2032 vs 2048 sizes. If it is that simple changing about 5 lines of code will do it. If there is more... then who knows how long it will take.

--jdiner

Re: Setting it all up

Originally posted by Daytranno
    ...Right now, I record everything in 480x480 resolution using an average bit rate of 2250000 and a maximum bit rate of 2500000. This breaks down to a VBR I believe.

My DVD player requirs 44.1 audio, otherwise everyone sounds like The Chipmunks. I convert this audio from the standard 224-bit 32 to 224-bit 44.1 using WinAmp. ...

Is it better to set the Maximum bit rate and the Average Bit rate to the same (say 2500000) so I have a video in CQ???? or does it matter...

I am forced to upsample (as a lot of people are) so is there a better program to use than WinAmp??...
    I don't have all the answers but here are a few comments:

1. To my knowledge the MAX setting establishes CBR if "Save Disk Space" is OFF. You are only doing VBR if this is ON. I think VBR on the SA Tivo is horrible, and have learned that a reboot (cold?) will set this to ON (and pi$$ me off).

2. SA Tivo records at 192kbps, so if you are truly converting to 224 this may add to the "tinniness"--I wouldn't do this. BTW my Sony does the same thing. If it thinks it is an SVCD it plays 32-bit (oops, I meant kHz sample rate) sound like stuttering Chipmunks!

3. I have used BeSweet and MPEG2VCR and the sound is fine w/either, and I have sync problems w/both. I do find that if I trim the program at all, that the audio conversion has GOT TO be the last step in the process or sync is totally hosed.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by laserfan; 10-09-2002 at 10:27 PM.
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Daytranno,

When converting from one digital data set to another it is best to have as many points as possible. Record at the absolute highest CBR bitrate possible.

The VBR capabilities of a Tivo are, uh, horrible. The circuits are just too cheap to do any good. It's not that TiVo is crappy about it, it's just a function of the cost of the electronics required to do good realtime compression.

If you want SVCDs and are using a PC, get http://www.DVD2SVCD.org and add either the CinemaCraft (best choice) or TMPGEnc encoders.

If you find the video needs to be cleaned up a bit, look into VirtualDub and AVISynth.

There are a lot of bitrate calculators to help you pick the best settings. The online one at http://www.vcdhelp.com in the tools section is very good.

If you want to make MPEG-4, go get Gordian Knot.

There are other ways to do it but these are the most convenient with consistently good results.

WRT changing your sound sample rate: Yeah, don't do it. 192 is legal for SVCDs and you'll just add some distortion and lessen the amount of space available for the video on your discs by doing changing it.

Some people talk about converting TiVo files to DVD resolution. Well, yeah, you can do that but it requires "faking" another 50% of screen data and either increases the space requirement or decreases the image quality, depending on your viewpoint.

I don't have a SA unit so don't have any knowledge about the sync issues you might run into. seems like that would be due to innaccurate conversion if you're trying to change 32 to 44.1 for true compatibility. If you can keep the 32, do so.
    Last edited by FredThompson; 10-09-2002 at 07:05 PM.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

It seems to me that most people are probably home from work by now.. hmmm...

OtakuCODE
    Salivary glands at full production capacity.

home from work

Funny... I AM home from work. I wonder what it is that I'll do...
    -Bronco

jdiner,

Don't know if this will help you but there is a modified version of VirtualDub which has locked A/V sync. It's possible there is something in the source code which might help you.

Granted, this you're not trying to sync during capture but there might be some padding techniques that could be helpful.

http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~dittrich/sync/
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Yes people are home from work now. But I had to spend some working today too. I am going as fast as I can to get this next one out. It seems to be almost ready.

One of my co-workers got bitten by a hobo spider and spent some time in the hospital. Man the bite looks nasty...

--jdiner

MPEG2 Stream VS SVCD

Seems like there might be a bit more than just the bytes.

Something like scan offsets an a SVCD header.

But i'm just talking out of my ass right now so what do i know!.

Re: MPEG2 Stream VS SVCD

Originally posted by Pr.Sinister
    Seems like there might be a bit more than just the bytes.

Something like scan offsets an a SVCD header.

But i'm just talking out of my ass right now so what do i know!.
    Oh. I expected it to be more. But to be honest. I know the MPEG-2 standard so well now that it should be no problem to figure out. I have seen the add scan offsets in a number of programs. Some of them have readily available source. Shouldn't be that hard to get it in once things are running smoothly as a standard PS.

--jdiner

Sweet. Ok. Status update. The last trick I tried has the sounding starting all nice and sync'ed...

But at the moment in a desire to make it as simple as possible to run the last test I do all video for 1 seconds worth of data, and then all audio for 1 seconds worth. This plays perfectly synced for about 5 seconds. (I have had better than this code running but this new scheme is working so well in general that I am rolling things back in 1 at a time...

What happens is the buffer just get to far apart. And then the fun happens. You actually start to get 1 second of video running. And then 1 second of audio running. And then back to video, then audio, as the system plays each buffer. What a wonderous thing...

Anyway, almost there for the next release. Just have to put some new interleaving code in and it should be ready to test...

--jdiner

Hobo spider? Hilarious!

I was on a conference call today and one of my co-workers put a pizza in the oven with the cardboard underneath. We were in the middle of talking VBScript when he started screaming that his kitchen was on fire!!!
    -Bronco

Originally posted by bronco13
    Hobo spider? Hilarious!

I was on a conference call today and one of my co-workers put a pizza in the oven with the cardboard underneath. We were in the middle of talking VBScript when he started screaming that his kitchen was on fire!!!

Uhhh... NOT exactly what I would term... Hilarious...

The kitchen on fire story, though... now that's hilarious...
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Originally posted by FredThompson

I don't have a SA unit so don't have any knowledge about the sync issues you might run into. seems like that would be due to innaccurate conversion if you're trying to change 32 to 44.1 for true compatibility. If you can keep the 32, do so.
    While it probably deserves its own topic, what DVD player(s) will play back a 32kHz audio track?

Hamsterman
    "There is no gift like the present"

Dunno. Hard question because anything outside VCD, SVCD, and DVD isn't usually reported. CVD-compatibility isn't required to meet SVCD licensing if the player is NTSC. The tables at VCDHelp show almost 1500 players reported but there isn't any limits testing that I can see. There's a column for XVCD and XSVCD but that can mean all kinds of things. You probably have a better chance with one that supports MP3 playback, though. Sometimes the header has to be modified to trick the player into accepting the disc.

Here's an example of some non-standard formats:

http://www.kvcd.net/dvd-models.html

Huh, wonder if a hacked Playstation or XBox would work. It's a player limitation, not a media issue.

I use a BookPC, a PIII running Win2K that's the size of a small VCR. Can't say about dedicated players, don't have one. Sorry.
    Last edited by FredThompson; 10-10-2002 at 01:55 AM.