Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970
Results 1,036 to 1,041 of 1041

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files.

Originally posted by rc3105
    a commercial version of tytool would be in direct violation of the dcma. crappy law, but law nonetheless. if that's not a recipe for expensive legal problems I dunno what is.

--
    Riley
    Um, I'm not a lawyer or anything remotely resembling one...

but It's my understanding that the DMCA states it is illegal to distribute sw that is specifically designed to circumvent other electronic encryption and/or copy-protection mechanisms...

Case in point DeCSS was specifically written to circumvent the CSS encryption implemented on commercial DVD's -- thus considered illegal.

TyTool/vsplit does not do this. All it does is pull non-encrypted data from the TiVo hard drive and strip out the TY chunk formatting and output the raw mpeg data... In essence all this tool does is reformat existing data... it does not circumvent any encryption or copy-protection mechanisms...

feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, though...
    Last edited by digitalAir; 11-17-2002 at 03:16 PM.
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Originally posted by digitalAir
    ...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this, though...
    ...or don't. PLEASE don't. The subject is splitting & muxing, folks!!!
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Originally posted by digitalAir

TyTool/vsplit does not do this. All it does is pull non-encrypted data from the TiVo hard drive and strip out the TY chunk formatting and output the raw mpeg data... In essence all this tool does is reformat existing data... it does not circumvent any encryption or copy-protection mechanisms...
    I would agree but then you have to remember what happened when somebody wrote software to convert e-book format to pdf. And commercial or not, the law is the same. Both DeCSS and that e-book converter were freeware.

The main difference is, if you sell commercial software, your much more likely to be sued (you wont be criminaly tried however), whereas with freeware, its not nearly as likely. Not sure why this is, I think its that some companies get pissed when your making a legal profit off of their idea for something they didn't think of, so they want to take those profits from you. Think back to sony over the playstation emulators, they sued all of the commercial emulator developers, but they didn't touch freeware developers, they completely left them alone.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 11-17-2002 at 03:34 PM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

I have read most of the posts in the thread, but forgive me if I ask anything that has already been answered. There are several one-hour-with-commercials programs on my TiVo that I would like to put on SVCD without commercials. TyTool works great. I was able to grab the video off the TiVo fine, and then demux it. But if I mux it with TMPEnc, (or bbmpeg) using the SVCD setting, I get a ton of buffer underflow errors. What does these meen exactly? The video plays fine on my PC, and I am able to edit the commercials out very easily with MPG2VCR, but when I burn that to SVCD with Nero 5, it plays fine in my computer but on my DVD player it only plays about 5 minutes near the beginning. I have the Sony DVP-NS715P, which plays anything. I got a similar result with VCDEasy, but I noticed that when it was scanning the video it reported a hand full of "non-mpeg1 audio header found" errors. Iím not sure if this has something to do with MPG2VCRís editing or not. Also there are a ton of GOP errors in the video, which MPG2VCRís GOP fixer will fix, but it doesnít seem to make things any better. Is that GOP fixer worth running? Does it help or make thing worse? The new tysplit1l does a great mux, but editing doesnít seem to work, and I don need to edit the commercials in order to fit it on one 80 minute SVCD.

Well as always seems to happen, and that is probably a good thing.

I started with a complex algorithm for cetain things dealing with the mux'ing. Most notably the detection of holes in the data. After thinking about it for some time this morning I came up with a solution that I do believe is darn near perfect. It takes a bit more memory than the least pass but not bad. You will need about 7meg that can be devoted to splitting and mux'ing for the whole program. But this algortihm appears to correctly handles any of the holes in the data I have seen.

The 4 frame holes work. The 6 frame holes work. And perhaps best of all the 150 frame holes work. Only seen one of these but it is there... and now it works...

I am working on cleaning som things up right now. But once it is done expect another release. For those that had found problem clips get ready to try them again.

--jdiner

Fantastic.

This thread is theraputic. I get excited about this thing every time I read it.