Thread: dvd burning ? audio_ts ?

dvd burning ? audio_ts ?

normally I would figure this out in time but currently I am under a sort of time crunch and would appreciate it if someone out there could throw me a bone.

I am trying to burn my first dvd from ty. when i author the dvd in spruce and export it to a title set ( spruce doesn't see my burner ) there are no files in the audio_ts directory. Is this to be expected? When i simulate in spruce I hear audio. I would probably know the answer to the above question if it were not for a problem I am having with nero buring the title set. I add the video_ts data to my video dvd in nero and tell it to burn. Everything starts out ok but it freezes at 2% and I can't even kill the process. i have to reboot. This is with nero 5.59 and winxp pro. so far I have made 2 coasters this way and am hesitent to try again till I get an RW disc. BTW - I am using a pioneer dvr104.

i have spruce/maestro/dvd it and a couple of other packages and would like some opinions on usefulness. Is there anything better than nero for burning?

thanks in advance

2ride

don't bother with Spruce-Up's direct to DVD-R burn option... Burn to a Title Set...

then use Nero 5.x

having an empty audio folder is normal it's not really even needed.
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

I, too, like to author to a Title Set and test it w/a couple of software players before burning w/Nero 5.5.90...

I read somewhere that AUDIO_TS is part of the spec but was supposed to handle DVD Audio or something, so it's empty unless it is a DVD Audio disc. Most comments suggest leaving it in place in case you were to encounter a player that expects it (again cuz it's part of the DVD spec). Probably a "don't care" unless you are distributing discs i.e. in your company or business.

Dunno why you freeze at 2%. I'd look for a memory problem or disk space/fragmentation as the culprit.
    Last edited by laserfan; 09-02-2002 at 06:13 PM.
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

don't bother with Spruce-Up's direct to DVD-R burn option... Burn to a Title Set...
    Why would you suggest this? Even though it's not an option with a Pioneer A-04 (aka 104) it works perfectly fine on a Pioneer A03 and probably some other models as well. I use the option almost exclusively and my DVDs come out just fine. Its more work to burn to a title set and sometimes burning in Nero can be problematic, as reported by other members of this forum. Please provide some background material when making suggestions of this nature. DVD burning is a major topic here and misinformation such as this helps no one.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Originally posted by captain_video

Why would you suggest this? Even though it's not an option with a Pioneer A-04 (aka 104) it works perfectly fine on a Pioneer A03 and probably some other models as well. I use the option almost exclusively and my DVDs come out just fine. Its more work to burn to a title set and sometimes burning in Nero can be problematic, as reported by other members of this forum. Please provide some background material when making suggestions of this nature. DVD burning is a major topic here and misinformation such as this helps no one.
    My advice to anyone wanting to use any burner, be it DVD, CD or whatever, would be to use burning software that is newer than your burner, and preferably newer than your burner's firmware.

Using 2 year old unsupported software may work.

Using the latest software means that it's hopefully been tested with your hardware.

Feel free to use whatever software you like and decide what's best for you. Me, I'll stick with NERO for now.
    SVR 2000 running 3.0 with 1x160Gb and Lifetime Sub
    SAT-T60 running 3.1 with 1x250Gb and Turbonet over 802.11

Originally posted by captain_video

the reason I suggested it, was that I own a A04 (aka 104) and it doesn't recognize my drive, I wasted more than an hour - just trying to get it to burn a disc. It would appear (A04) as a selection, but would always create an error when attempting to burn.

it is NOT misinformation. It was my opinion. Sorry I didn't include IMHO. And if you notice the post... it stated DVR104! which you aggree doesn't work with spruce-up. So what's wrong with my advice? oops.. sorry, opinion.
    Last edited by Hi8; 09-03-2002 at 07:11 AM.
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

Sorry folks. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I guess the point I was trying to make is that there has been a high rate of success using SpruceUp to burn directly to DVDs on older DVD burners, such as the Pioneer A03. Since there are a limited number of authoring apps that can be used with a split tystream (i.e. SpruceUp and DVD Maestro), why go through the extra step for burning if you don't have to? As you stated, the A04 (104) is unsupported by SpruceUp so you are forced to use Nero or some other software that will recognize the drive. I upgraded my A03 to the latest firmware and SpruceUp still works fine with it. I have found that there are instances when I need to write to a title set and then use Nero to burn a DVD. Sometimes SpruceUp tells me that the project I'm trying to compile exceeds the capacity of the DVD-R I'm using. If the total size is around 4.5GB I find that I can write a title set and then use Nero for burning without a complaint about the project size. It seems that there's a narrow window that I can do this in. If the project size is too large I still can't use Nero but I'm usually able to trim any excess using TyTool during the extraction process to make it fit.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!