Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crypto update.

Crypto update.

I'm not taking any credit from this hack, someone else on this site posted a link to this hack, I just post the information on this site. To update your serial number in the crypto chip do the following:

I'm not resposible for your actions.

I beleive this is illegal in USA.

to show:
    crypto -gsn

to update your additional TiVo's
    crypto -u -ssn "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX"
    where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is your sub'd serial number

Enjoy, and please don't post this on AVS.

This in effect allows you to clone the ID of another TIVO. This would allow more than one Tivo to download guide data under the same account.

Use your own judgement when doing this.

And yes this is illegal in the US. You would be stealing service.

That's right, use your own judgment. This is a useful hack for those with a dead lifetime tivo and who ever wants to transfer their account, they could use this.
    - Vadim
    Administrator

ahhh, this is an older hack i believe,
    the question is, will it work in version 2.01?

I beleive it should, if not it should run from 1.3, all you need is the executables. Anyone willing to try it? I have no use for this.
    - Vadim
    Administrator

Yes it works on 2.0.1. Great hack!

I only do it once since I am afraid Tivo will notice their guide data was being downloaded more than once with one s/n. Does Tivo keep of what every subscriber download? I think so, but I am not sure.

Thumbs up

interesting, im guessing this is done through a bash promt?
    will it loose this setting after a reboot?
    all that you would need to do is let the other machine dial out
    once a week. Might be a pain in the ass with software updates though.

Anyway, thanx for the info,
    Lates, Racer

Yes, via bash prompt, and no, the setting will stick after reboot.

Well, if you have 2 tivos and want to share serials, here's how to do it without setting off a flag with tivo. First, we should all note that they do watch for units that call in more than once a day solely for the purpose of catching serial clones. This has been specifically stated by tivo over 6 months ago.

Get 2 sets of wireless phone jacks. The type that send the signal through the house electrical wiring. Connect them to digital plug in wall timers. (you will have to use an extention cord to connect them).

Now, set up timers for the modules that are connected to each tivo. Have tivo #1's phone jack stay on for sun-wed and tivo #2's jack on thurs-sat or something similar. We all know you can go 5 days without dialing in before a nag pops up, so this will be an automated way to have 2 units share the same serial without setting off any flags at tivo.

Lightbulb

Originally posted by Big Dump
    Well, if you have 2 tivos and want to share serials, here's how to do it without setting off a flag with tivo.
    <snip>
    so this will be an automated way to have 2 units share the same serial without setting off any flags at tivo.
    Oh, btw, you do know that each call your TiVo makes to the service also gets assigned a "transaction ID#", and that the prior "transaction ID#" is sent during the 'verifying service status' portion of the call. I believe that when they compare the prior# to their records and notice that they don't match for a few calls is when they set your service_state flag to "stolen"... which is a bad thing...

Does anyone know if setting the serial of a Standalone Tivo to the same on a DirecTivo will casue problems? The reason I am asking - if I change my serial on my DirecTivo to the same on my fried standalone with a lifetime service will it try to put the wrong software on my DirecTivo....

Originally posted by CyberMop
    Does anyone know if setting the serial of a Standalone Tivo to the same on a DirecTivo will casue problems? The reason I am asking - if I change my serial on my DirecTivo to the same on my fried standalone with a lifetime service will it try to put the wrong software on my DirecTivo....
    Noooooooooo, don't do this! It will be very obvious to TiVo that your unit is not an SA. The software on a DirecTiVo is quite different from the software on an SA, even if they both claim to have '2.0.1' - look at the numbers after that.

If a DirecTiVo calls with an SA number it will just confuse the TiVo server and will cause the account to be suspended and then probably shut down once TiVo works out what happened.

That is what i though - but did not think it would hurt to ask - thanks!

transaction ID?

If what surgeon (above) says is true, how can you have more than one Tivo running with the same SN? Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the serial number get flaged as "stolen"?
    Last edited by econmark; 09-30-2002 at 12:41 AM.

Re: transaction ID?

Originally posted by econmark
    If what surgeon (above) says is true, how can you have more than one Tivo running with the same SN?
    You don't!