Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac OSX to DVD-R/DVD-RW Work Flow

Have you gotten MFSStream to work? I downloaded it and it appears to be source code only. Do you know where I can find the binaries? Maybe even a workflow? Something that does not require a PC.

Tim

Re: Extracting video from a TiVo Series 1 with Mac OS X

Originally posted by tduncklee
    There is an excellent how-to at: http://www.fajkowski.com/tivo/

I understand it and believe I've done everything correctly. However I've not been successful.
    "excellent" : "This word... I do not think it means, what you think it means."
    • First, the tyc doesn't work for beans... and only rarely for stand-alone... never for DTivo streams. Use tydemux instead.
    • Second, that is a convoluted way of getting the streams off... just use tytar server or mfsstream98 (read the extraction stickys or use the search button to find it) which will work with all series 1 os up to 3.1.
    • Replace the "mfsstream.itcl" in your tivoweb-tcl/modules directory with the one i posted near the begining of this tread (it is named mfsstream.zip, but only includes the mfsstream.itcl - in hindsight, i can understand the confusion... my bad) and follow the instructions there for using curl or wcat to grab the streams.

I copied the Mplex file out of the sizzle library, and it doesn't seem to work with files that demuxed properly from tydemux. Is there a better way to multiplex the audio and video? any shareware/commericial apps that work?

Thanks

Originally posted by jrogers I copied the Mplex file out of the sizzle library, and it doesn't seem to work with files that demuxed properly from tydemux.
    you have to use the DVD format switch... SVCD or blank won't work and generic bloats the file to an ungodly size.

okay, this is the quick "by hand" procedure:

Code:
    get/prep movie from tivo :
    wget --non-verbose --tries=1 --wait=10 --waitretry=10 --ignore-length URL
    [URL is copied from the mfsstream module in tivoweb with the
    modified mfsstream.itcl i posted earlier in this thread]
    tydemux -s 2 -i myMovie.ty -a myMovie.mpa -v myMovie.m2v
    mplex -f 8 -S 2000 -O [offset reported by tydemux] -o myMovie%d.vob myMovie.mpa myMovie.m2v
    restoggle myMovie1.vob
    [repeat for each full movie]

build dvd :
    mkdir myDvd
    mkdir myDvd/AUDIO_TS
    mkdir myDvd/VIDEO_TS
    ifogen -o myDvd/VIDEO_TS/VTS -v [movie order sequence on dvd starting with "1"] -A [mp2 | ac3] myMovie1.vob myMovie2.vob ... myMovie[%d].vob
    [repeat for each title, incrementing movie order sequence accordingly]
    tocgen myDvd/VIDEO_TS
    rm -f myDvd/.DS_Store
    rm -f myDvd/VIDEO_TS/.DS_Store
    mkisofs -dvd-video -V MY_MOVIE -o myMovie.dmg myDvd

[then burn with Disk Copy's "File:Burn Image..." command in OSX or whatever your fav burn software is - the file is an ISO standard image]
    sizzle : http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=17331&db=mac
    restoggle : http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...ggle#post61600
    tydemux : http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...threadid=20056
    my modified mfsstream.itcl : http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...=OSX#post82338

enjoy

EDIT 02-08-2003 at 11:55 AM: fixed typo
    EDIT 02-11-2003: updated for more than one VTS per DVD, removed concatenation of mplex output files (ifogen doesn't seem to mind that each vob for the same title doesn't have the 720x480 first frame header)
    EDIT 03-10-2003: replaced tool locations with direct links.

NOTE: Because i don't have the 30 minutes it would take to find out/download/verify usage of toolame, sox, or whatever people use to upsample the 32kHz UK audio streams to 48kHz sampling rate, if any kind UK person wants to send me the step, and where it goes in this workflow, i'll add it here - thx
    Last edited by tungsten2k; 03-10-2003 at 01:09 PM.

FYI, jdiner release his vsplit/muxer (vsplitmux2b) for macosX. Check the thread that has the scripts and programs.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...5&pagenumber=2

-lloyd-
    SA-2000 Sony 80 Hours w/ tivonet
    SA-2000 Sony 30 Hours w/ turbonet
    SD-H400 Toshiba 80 Hours

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo

I just posted a little GUI program that uses tyc to convert TY fies. It is drag and drop and can help save a little time.

TY Converter X

It's nice to see OSX support...

It's nice to see all these OSX tools. I used Vpslit/mplex with Virtual PC for a while, but it never really worked very well. I abandoned it after a while, but then Tydemux showed promise. I'm very happy with the results of the latest Tydemux. I've built an applescript application to take .TY files and process them with Tydemux and Mplex, and I can't see a reason to try anything else.

As Mac users, what are the pros/cons with using both Jdiner's Vsplit/Mux, and using tyc? I tried tyc not too long ago, and it didn't work as well as tydemux, and I've heard from others that it's fairly picky on which ones work and which don't. Anyone use Jdiner's app and like it better than Tydemux? any reason to use one and not the other? Does one handle dolby digital streams better/worse?

Thanks for any input, and I'll reiterate that it's nice to have working OSX only solutions. Also good to hear that Jdiner's port is so simple that he doesn't have to modify the code.

-Jrogers

Now what?

Ok. I've extracted my files, but now I'm at a loss as to what to do. Maybe these questions are stupid, but I'm not altogether sure where to look.

First, I used mac_vsplit to split a stream into m2v and m2a files. Then I tried to go ahead with the workflow in the first post of this thread. The m2v file dropped fine into DVD Studio Pro, but when I tried to drop in the M2a file, I got an error that the audio wasn't at 48000 Khz and it refused to accept the file.

Ditto for Final Cut Pro - it would accept the m2v but not the m2a.

Finally, I used tyc to turn the file into an mpg, but that comes into FCP with no audio. It plays fine in vlc and Quicktime Player, but when I import it into FCP so I can re-export it to iDVD or DVD Studio Pro, vwoop, no audio.

What am I doing wrong here?
    Last edited by tivowanderer; 02-16-2003 at 11:40 PM.

Not sure exactly. I know that Quicktime has issues with MPG 1/2 files.

Here is some some info for converting audio for use in fcp. I change my m2a extension to a .mp2 and use iTunes to convert to a aiff.

Originally posted by gregjsmith
    Not sure exactly. I know that Quicktime has issues with MPG 1/2 files.

Here is some some info for converting audio for use in fcp. I change my m2a extension to a .mp2 and use iTunes to convert to a aiff.
    I am using iMove 3. I split the m2v into mulitple parts with ffmpegx (since imove3 can import mp2 video files, but they have to be under 9 minutes each). I then use iTunes to convert the audio to mp3 or aiff (since it cant import mp2 audio files). Unfortunaly the audio and video bacome out of sync sometime near the beginning.

I must be missing something basic in this process. I have a series 1 with Version 3.0 software. I'm using OSX 10.2 and the latest QuickTime.

- I'm able to extract the stream with MfsStream in TiVo Web.
    - tydemux appears to split the .ty file with no errors:
    ./tydemux -s 2 -i lakewood.ty -a lakewood.mpa -v lakewood.m2v
    - mplex runs with no errors:
    ./mplex -f 3 -S 2000 -O 007 -o lakewood.mpeg lakewood.mpa lakewood.m2v

When I try to open the file with QuickTime I get the error "Couldn't open the file "lakewood.mpeg" because a software component needed by the movie could not be found."

I've tested the file on other Mac's and I get the same error. I have also extracted other TiVo files and tested them. Same error.

I've seen references to turning off encryption in TiVo. Does this need to be done? If so does this mean I can not extract any of my existing files?

Any help would sure be appreciated!

I may have an answer for tduncklee. Viewing MP2 files with Quicktime requires an extra, $20 package, the Quicktime MPEG2 component. Out-of-the-box quicktime 6 does not support MPEG2. You must also have Quicktime 6 PRO, not the free edition. Fortunately, the MPEG2 component is available through most popular distributors of software.

Meanwhile, transcoding the audio to AIFF is peachy for FCP, but, DVD Studio Pro doesn't want an AIFF, it wants an m2a file at 48k. Is there any way just to upsample the existing 32k m2a file to 48k so I can dump the thing into DVD Studio Pro?

And I've discovered another flaw. When I transcoded the audio track to AIFF in iTunes, it came out as three seconds longer than the video track. How am I supposed to sync that?
    Last edited by tivowanderer; 02-17-2003 at 10:35 AM.

Originally posted by tivowanderer
    And I've discovered another flaw. When I transcoded the audio track to AIFF in iTunes, it came out as three seconds longer than the video track. How am I supposed to sync that?
    Everytime I convert the audio from one format to the other something gets screwy and it is out of sync.

If I just mux the raw mp2 audio and video togther there is no sync issue.

Hey all...I use a program called mAC3dec that "decodes several different audio formats (AC-3, QuickTime, MP3, AIFF, WAV, Audio CD) and converts to AIFF or MP3 (using LAME). Includes batch encoding, normalization, AC-3 channel splitting, and more! All code is free and open source." as stated at the download site...you can get mAC3dec here....

Just drag your AIFF, MP3, QT, etc onto the program and change the sample rate to whatever you want (44K, 48K, etc) for DSP. Works great!

Also, if the sync is off, this is what I do..I open up my HexEdit program and then open the AC3 audio file that is off sync. Do a "Find" from the options for "0B 77", this needs to be the very first decimal address in order for the AC3 to work. The "0B 77" is broken into sections of the sound file...usually appearing every 350 or 700 decimal places...depending on how "off" you sound file is, try "deleting" 0B 77 sections a few at a time...I think it takes about 8 0B 77 sections for 1 second of audio...something like that....anyway...works for me when I backup DVDs and split them into AC3 and MV2 files via OSEx .011.

Now maybe someone can help me...how exactly are you retrieving your files from your TiVo...I have a iMac G4, a tivo at 2.5.1, Kravens upgrade, turbonet, and a crossover cable...I have added the following to my rc.remote-login file , but I can't access my tivo...it gives me "connection refused". Any help would be greatly appreciated...

ifconfig net0 192.168.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route.tivonet delete default 2> /dev/null
    route.tivonet add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev net0

I got my turbonet way back last March and heard that some of them were not functioning properly...I might have a defective turbonet...don't know...also, doesn't Kravens upgrade install the turbonet drivers too??

Thanks

BBQ
    Should I throw something on the grill
    for ya?

all of the mp2 audio files ac3? I'm using a PC to extract the video/audio and trying to do the editing on my Mac.