Thread: Ripped DVD versus Orig Tivo Picture Quality

Ripped to DVD versus Orig Tivo Picture Quality

This is probably worth its own thread (couldn't find another) on this issue.

I'm a newbie. I have a Dtivo, so I cannot change my TIVO record resolution through Tivoweb. Its stuck at 480x480.

I imported my m2v and m2a files (from tytool5) directly into SpruceUp (with DVDPatcher fake out) and burned straight to DVD (actually, to title set, then DVD through NERO, but same thing). No transcoding.

I then compared the quality of the DVD pic with that of the original Tivo program. Same TV. Just flipping between inputs on the same program.

The DVD program is very close in quality, but you can notice the horizontal pixels if you look fairly closely and cannot on the original TIVO program. I'm comparing a football game, and its definitely noticeable when the white field lines are diagonal on the screen.

Is this because the DVD thinks its playing a 720x480 pic, when its really 480x480? I understand that there is probalby no data loss, and its just a matter of the play format. Or is it because of something SpruceUp is doing by forcing it to accept 480x480 video?

Is there anything I can do to get it to show the picture precisely as my TIVO does (can't notice horizontal lines at all)?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    Last edited by rpongett; 09-06-2002 at 02:57 AM.

As you mentioned, the data itself is the same. Might be dependent on the decoder and general quality of your DVD player. My setup with a Pioneer 444 looks *exactly* the same as the original content when played back on the DTivo.

are the tivo and dvd both connected to the tv through the same type of connection (composite/svideo/component video)?

if not, then you are not comparing apples to apples... Ok, well, maybe apples to apples... but more like golden-delicious to granny smith...

if they are the same, then it is probably like Riot suggested, and is dependant on the decoder chips... (or, it's all in your head... )
    -- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

The TIVO is plugged in using S-Video.

The DVD player (Playstation 2) is using an RGB connector, so it is going to be a bit sharper.

Definitely not imagining it (I just flipped between the exact same video on both again). Its not like it stands out. In fact, the difference is not very noticeable at all unless I stand near my Big screen TV.

But I realize that its the exact same data.

I wonder if the TIVO does something to smooth the pic a bit (knowing its playing 480x480), while the DVD recorder does not?

Or, if when it is changed into DVD format (by SpruceUp), it has to add an extra duplicate horizontal pixel every now and then to get 720 horizontal pixels accross from 480 horizontal pixel data?

My Playstation2's playback of the DVDs I create the same way as you do from my DTivo look a little pixelated, but not on my Panasonic A115. It looks as good as the Dtivo original. Must be differences in the mpeg decoders.

That's interesting. And good news.

I'll have to give the DVD's I created a shot on someone else's DVD player.

Yes, I'd definitely blame the PS2 on this one. The PS2 is *not* an ideal DVD player in terms of picture quality. I'm not saying that you need to run out and get a Progressive Scan player, but there are cheap interlaced-only DVD players out there with much better picture quality when playing DVD videos, especially when viewing small text on the screen, and dark scenes (like the opening of The Matrix) where the PS2 will show blocky artifacts when decoding.