Thread: Been Beat To Death, But....

Been Beat To Death, But....

I know it's been hashed hashed and re-hashed but I can't find a clear answer to my problem.

Yes, I have the CCC upgrade. Only because, at the time, I preferred to pay for it, rather then learn and do it myself.

And yes, I am paying for that now..

Anyways, is my unit already set up for BASH via the serial plug?? It says it is, in the startup-screen, but when I plug in the cable, I can't get a connect via HyperTerm I have tried 9600 all the way up to 115200 8N1 etc etc all no go..

Before I start tearing into my cable, I want to make sure that my unit is BASH-equipped already. My goal is to be able to add a NIC w/o having to re-install, as I would lose all my recorded shows..

Any assistance would be appreciated...

A couple pointers...

1) Most hacked installs use a 115200 serial speed, but the stock tivo cable seems to have trouble with that. Also if you connect to the serial port with the wrong speed and send any data to the tivo it will lock up the serial port. forcing you to reboot the tiv oto get it workign again.

2) if you have a turbonet (dont know about the tivonet) you can install the drivers w/o loosing any data, but you have to install the drive into your computer and boot the install cdrom.

hope this helps.

The stock cable requires a crossover/null modem adapter. It will not work as-is.

Thanx to both.. I'll check the "rebooting" thing..

I have tried the cable "straight" and with a cross-over cable..

No luck either way..

As to TivoNet/TurboNet has anyone had any luck putting that on a CCC machine w/o having to re-install???

One thing while I think of it..

I am assuming from your answers that you are saying, "YES" CCCs install DOES come ready with BASH Prompt and it SHOULD come up thru HyperTerm if everything else is correct and working..

B

I got into the BASH. I was able to even set it up so it won't reboot when I exit...

But when I DO exit, I can't get back in unless I reboot my TIVO..

So, my next step is to put in the TIVONET.

Can that be done with a CCC install???

I had a lot of problems with Hyperterm and found that using tera term was a lot easier. I don't know if that will help at all.

Originally posted by angel-78
    I had a lot of problems with Hyperterm and found that using tera term was a lot easier. I don't know if that will help at all.
    Yea, I thought about that too..

So I went to SecureCRT... Maybe something about SCRT exits improperly..

I'll give TeraTerm a try...

it's been a white, but...

When you are done in BASH, don't 'exit' at the bash prompt. simply close TeraTerm (or whatever) and it should be there for you the next time you want to BASH in.

Re: it's been a white, but...

Originally posted by junkyardpizza
    When you are done in BASH, don't 'exit' at the bash prompt. simply close TeraTerm (or whatever) and it should be there for you the next time you want to BASH in.

That did it!

You all have been great. Thank you .

Now, if I can just locate my TivoNet adapter card, I'll be ready to go up with TivoNet.

Thank you once again.

B