Thread: To nocramble.o Or Not To noscramble.o

To nocramble.o Or Not To noscramble.o

Well, from reading and getting answers, thanx to all, I have learned that I need to unscramble show before I can TY them.
    Now this opens up a new problem. How can I view the shows already recorded, while recording new shows with the unscrambled option on?
    Is there a way to unscramble the old recordings manually?

B

no ther is not. You cant view those rcordings on your PC. Thats just the way it is. I asked the same questions for like a week in here and everybody told me the same thing. So you cant do anything about it.

Originally posted by idokle
    no ther is not. You cant view those rcordings on your PC. Thats just the way it is. I asked the same questions for like a week in here and everybody told me the same thing. So you cant do anything about it.
    That's fine. I don't really want to *VIEW* them on my PC. I have a 220 GIG Workstation set up, for the sole purpose of storing Tivo Shows for later viewing.

Can the be stored and then replaced w/o having to worry about noscramble???

Or, how about this. Can one set up their remote so that they can activate and deactivate noscramble.o from their remote, rather then their console??

There is a way... But not a good one.

If you leave the scrambled shows on the Tivo, as they can't be extracted, you have done step #1.

While noscramble.o is loaded things are recorded unscrambled and can be both played back and extracted.

If you unload it, simple to do using commands from a shell, you can then play the old scrambled recordings but not the new unscrambled ones.

So you can still watch them. But if you are just getting started with all of this and have done no extraction then how many old shows do you really have?

--jdiner

Originally posted by jdiner

If you leave the scrambled shows on the Tivo, as they can't be extracted, you have done step #1.

While noscramble.o is loaded things are recorded unscrambled and can be both played back and extracted.

If you unload it, simple to do using commands from a shell, you can then play the old scrambled recordings but not the new unscrambled ones.

So you can still watch them. But if you are just getting started with all of this and have done no extraction then how many old shows do you really have?

--jdiner
    I have had the tivo for quite a long time, so I have about 56 hours of scrambled shows. I suppose I could set up a computer next to the TV and scramble and unscramble as needed. I am thinking it would only be temporary as the scrambled shows would disappear by attrition.

B

Originally posted by jdiner

--jdiner
    JD. Check me on this.

What if the insmod noscramble was added to the "script" (or whatever) that starts the recording.

Possible?? B

you would laso have to rmmod noscramble when the recording script was finished as well. Plus you would have to flag these recordings as such and modify the playback script to load/unload it for the unscrambled recordings.

All the modules does (AFAIK) is toggle the encryption for both recording and playback.

Also form my own personal experience, you can get your tivo stuck in a loop where it reboots after about 2 minutes of recording. When it started started it took two different tivos before I figured out noscramble was causing the problem.

I recommend just using the noscramble kernel patch, then encoding is just not an issue.

annundum:
    Also there is no garuntee that either methed will work after an update, but the kernel patch will come out faster than a new noscramble module. (NFS is a great example of that.)

Hey all,

I think I understand the conversation in progress...

My question is:

After running noscramble, can you still watch previously recorded (scrambled) programs from within TiVo via Now Playing?

Or is it an "all or nothing" proposition?

Originally posted by Pointfreak!
    Hey all,

I think I understand the conversation in progress...

My question is:

After running noscramble, can you still watch previously recorded (scrambled) programs from within TiVo via Now Playing?

1) Load the noscramble.o module. All recordings done with it loaded can be viewed with it loaded, and extracted later on.

1a) Unload noscramble.o. All recordings will be recorded scrambled. They cannot be extracted. Shows previously recorded with noscramble unloaded can be viewed.

2) Do the kernel mod. All NEW recordings will be viewable and can be extracted. Any previously recorded shows will not be viewable or extractable.

Originally posted by Pointfreak!
    My question is:

While the noscramble patch is running it is all or nothing.

--jdiner

Originally posted by boboli

JD. Check me on this.

What if the insmod noscramble was added to the "script" (or whatever) that starts the recording.

Possible?? B
    As far as I know the recording portion is not a script. It is a binary program. But I have not looked for it or into it. And I don't think anyone else has either. Just re-record your shows. Or if you are desperate for them use a capture device in your computer. Play them from the tivo and re-record them. Then add noscramble in one fashion or another, and go from there.

--jdiner