Thread: HELP: Strange 2 tuner problem

HELP: Strange 2 tuner problem

OK. So I (finally) went through the trouble of adding the necessary cabling/hardware to enable both tuners on my DirecTivo unit last weekend. Everything was working well (both tuners working properly, recording, etc...), then poof! Black screen only on my second tuner.

This is not a signal/cabling/multiswitch problem (I dont think). Signal test is great on both tuners. If I swap the cables around, the "optional/sat-2" tuner is the one I continue to have the problem with (ie both cables work fine for Sat-1 and neither work for Sat-2). Again the Tivo *thinks* it's getting good signal and will attempt to record on both tuners etc, except I get no picture when I switch tuners.

As an aside, if I actually do try to record something on the 2nd tuner, It does appear in "Now Showing" while it's recording. Problem is, if I try to play it, I get nothing (like the screen stays red as if it's about to fire up the recording) Even if it says that it's recorded like 3 minutes or something, I have nothing (can't FF, cant' RW) and if I tell it to stop recording and go back into "Now Showing", it's gone (like the unit knew it had a null stream).

Ideas????

BTW this unit is a DSR6000.

(ooops...re-read your message)

It is odd that it worked for awhile, then stopped. Bad Multiswitch maybe? If you run directly from the LNB to the "bad" tuner, do you get a picture?

Last edited by Pointfreak!; 09-23-2002 at 03:08 PM.

I haven't actually tried this, but, tuner 1 plays from either cable. Is there something about the multiswitch that would cause a failure mode where both lines work when plugged into tuner one, but neither on tuner 2 (with either one or both tuners connected).

I should mention that I have gone through the guided satellite setup several times (switching it from dual tuners to one tuner and back again), and this process ALWAYS succeeds, on signal test, sat config and whatever the last step is (aquiring information from satellite).

The only thing I haven't done is do an 'erase all' SW reset, which I'd rather not do since I'd lose my preferences and recordings, etc... If I thought it could be a SW problem I'd do it in a minute.

Run the cables directly from the dual LNB to the A and B inputs avoiding the multi-switch. Boot it up and try it out for a day or so. This will tell you if it is a multi-switch problem or not.

New Information

I got fed up and decided to re-image the box (25xtreme). When I brought it back up and enabled the 2nd tuner, viola, it was there.
    Then, it disappeared in like 5 minutes.

So I tried BOTH unplugging, unhooking the thing for 20 minutes, AND doing a full reset from the Tivo Menu. Neither one got me back my 2nd tuner.

Any ideas? I am going to re-image the thing and this time pay a little closer attention to when the 2nd tuner goes away. I know that xtreme re-flashes the bios each time, could this be related (does the BIOS update have anything to do with 2 tuners, etc...) Anyone else EVER see something like this? Could it have anything to do with the service hack? Anything to do with USW008?

It sounds like you may have a heat related problem with the DTivo. If the tuners work when you first power it on after it's been off for awhile then there may be a cold solder joint on the mainboard or in the tuner assembly itself. After the unit heats up the joint may be expanding just enough to create an intermittent contact. Try running the DTivo with the cover off and see if that helps. These things are like an oven with the cover on. I run both of mine with the covers off and they seem to be a lot cooler. You may also want to consider an additional cooling source like the notebook cooler in the Tips of the Trade sticky thread. Another tip to keep it cool is to raise the base of the unit with a couple of narrow strips of wood along each edge to allow more air to circulate through the unit. If you find that none of these seem to help then you may want to pull the mainboard and look at all of the soder joints around the tuner circuitry and see if any of them look like there's a crack around any of the solder joints. Use a good magnifying glass because you may never see them with the naked eye.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I agree...sounds like heat for sure.

Is your unit inside a cabinet? If so, cut a hole in the back with a low RPM a/c muffin fan. It worked wonders for my box. It cant cool off if all the air around the unit is hot too...it just pushes the hot air around.

I had a similar problem crop up this morning. My 2nd tuner seemed to not be available, and no recordings were made. the signal meter reported nothing on the 2nd tuner, and cable swaps showed both feeds were OK into tuner 1. I am using an oval dish with a built-in multiswitch for months with no problems. My solution was to set to 1 tuner, reboot, set to 2 tuners and then both tuners came up OK. My unit sits on the top of my rack with the cover off so cooling is not an issue. Perhaps there is some cracking in the mobo, but my unit is always powered (even if not on) and this suddenly showed up. Don't know if it was hardware, but the reset seems to indicate software, xtreme +kraven.

Funny thing, I was all set to troubleshoot the heat thing when I got home on Friday. But I didn't have to as the 2nd tuner was working again and has been working like a champ ever since.

I'm not convinced this problem is gone for good, so I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I had my Dtivo for 10 months now, and in that time it happen to me like 4 times the exact problem. If I tune to the second tuner I get "Searching for signal on Satellite In 2" but both cables get singal in 1, so I just reset the receiver (from bash or the Menu / M&S / System Reset), just the simple reboot and then all is working again. Because it don't happen a lot I didn't check the logs to look for an error or something like that.

It just happen to me for the first time after I put a Hughes 2.0 image in my Dtivo and upgraded with Tivolater (Thanks) from like 2 months ago. The other times was with a Phillips extreme image.

I don't think heat is related my unit is normaly at 45 and never over 51.

Here's another thought. I have a similar problem where it intermittently thinks there is no signal on input 2 (but still reads OK in the signal strength test). Does anyone know if the tuner checks the DC feed to the LNB? I am using a splitter with a DC-pass on the 1st input. I haven't tried switching them yet but am wondering if this could be part of it. Good signal, but the tuner checks the DC current supply to the LNB as part of the check to determine proper operation?

Anyone know if you can just turn off the notification for the second tuner failure?

losing signal on one of the receivers

I have the same problem.

Most of the time after a restart it comes up.

Today however it did not. I unplugged the network adapter (usb200m) and booted everything fine, did a couple of times and no problems.

I guess I just boot and then plug the adapter in.

Quote Originally Posted by marcucci
    Here's another thought. I have a similar problem where it intermittently thinks there is no signal on input 2 (but still reads OK in the signal strength test). Does anyone know if the tuner checks the DC feed to the LNB? I am using a splitter with a DC-pass on the 1st input. I haven't tried switching them yet but am wondering if this could be part of it. Good signal, but the tuner checks the DC current supply to the LNB as part of the check to determine proper operation?

Anyone know if you can just turn off the notification for the second tuner failure?

I hope you're not actually using a splitter. I hope that was a mistype...
    Have a question? Try a search first...