Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 vs. 2.5.2

2.5 vs. 2.5.2

Ok I am running my DirecTivo (T-60) with a 2.5xtreme image. I was wondering what was added in the upgrade to 2.5.2. Is there a way that I can add 2.5.2 and not lose all my current recordings/settings??

seems all they added was their ability to put star menu items on the tivo central screen -for things like movie trailers and other advertising type things.

No one has reported any bug fixes or any enhancements. Seems we'll have to wait for 3.1 to get that. And even then, the upgrade to 3.x for the stand alones only added a couple minor things.

Looks like at least another update after 3.1 before anything real significant happens.

I have 5 DSR6000s, 2 with v2.5.2 and 3 with v2.5. I am planning on going to v2.5.2 on all one by one. Although there are a lot of reasons for video freezing/lockups requiring a power recycle to remedy, since I upgraded the 2 to v2.5.2 I have not had the problem. The 3 with v2.5 are still experiencing the problem on rare occasions. I'm almost sure there was a fix for the freezing in v2.5.2.

Superzap:

I am running an extremed DSR6000 at 2.5... I also ran SC 2.0 by PGM to prevent updates. How could I enable updates to 2.5.2, yet prevent it from going to far to 3.0? Possible?

So superzap whats your technique for going to 2.5.2 ? I ask because I am formulating an upgrade procedure as an alternative to xtreme. I was going to put turbonet the new prom and noscramble on first and then try and port kravens stuff over.
    Are there packages you like?
    Thanks
    -Chris

Originally posted by Pointfreak!
    Superzap:

I am running an extremed DSR6000 at 2.5... I also ran SC 2.0 by PGM to prevent updates. How could I enable updates to 2.5.2, yet prevent it from going to far to 3.0? Possible?
    Wasn't there something about uncommenting this line

Code:
    #set groups "CP_Standard,CR_Standard,MI_Standard,SC_Standard,SC_TiVoPromotion,SF_SerialLogging,SI_TvSec,SW_released"

to allow the update?

Update: Found it here.
    Last edited by BubbleLamp; 09-26-2002 at 01:56 AM.

Try the technique mentioned by BubbleLamp. I got the v2.5.2 upgrade on my 1st box months ago not even using the PGM technique by turning off fixsub, connecting phone line and making daily call. I then took that image, added the xtreme stuff and loaded it onto the 2nd box. Of course on the 2nd box I lost all recordings, etc. because of error #51. I have the image to share but can't find a place to upload it to.

hehe. Thanks Bubblelamp...but I'm not THAT slow!

I figured that commenting out that line would enable an update, but my fear is that it will upgrade straight to 3.0. Valid? Or is this not how the upgrade process works?

There is no v3.0 for DTiVo, it's going to be v3.1 but that's still in beta test so you should not get it by connecting to TiVo service.

I rebooted my tivo for the first time in a *long* time the other day.

I noticed the new logos and such, but didn't think much about them until I saw this post. Are these only part of 2.5.2? I can't figure out how I got it, my tivo's not even remotely close to a phoneline. Can they do updates over the dish?

>>There is no v3.0 for DTiVo<<

OK...so, maybe I AM that slow...

Thanks

Is it possible to use a virgin DTivo image on a new drive, let it pick up 2.5.2, make the update, and then put in the old drive with 2.5 into the unit, and still keep the 2.5.2? I gues my question is: Does 2.5.2 reside on the hard drive or in the NVRAM on the DTivo?

Originally posted by Blademan007
    Is it possible to use a virgin DTivo image on a new drive, let it pick up 2.5.2, make the update, and then put in the old drive with 2.5 into the unit, and still keep the 2.5.2? I gues my question is: Does 2.5.2 reside on the hard drive or in the NVRAM on the DTivo?
    2.5.2 update is software on the drive, there is no change to the EPROM as far as I know.

>> 2.5.2 update is software on the drive, there is no change to the EPROM as far as I know.

So does that mean that the 2.5.2 can be applied by another drive, and then if I reinsert my old drive (with 2.5) will it stay at 2.5.2 or go back to whatever is on the drive in the unit?

The software is on the drive, period. If your drive was in the unit and took the update, then it remains on the drive. I'm not sure what it is you're asking.

If you installed DOS on one hard drive, pulled it out and installed Windows 2000 on a second drive, when you put the DOS drive back into your PC, it doesn't magically turn into Win2K, right?