Thread: Questions about Directivo

Questions about Directivo

I have a phillips standalone running with my emu IRD. I was thinking about getting a Directivo but have some questions.

1. If the guide data is delivered via Directv, then why does the Tivo need to call in. Is it just to check account status?

2. If I am running an emu then all I need to do is let it call in the first time (without emu running) then unplug phone, right?

3. If I do the above step, then why would I have to pay for the tivo service? I have the software and the guide data. Or, does the Directivo require a callin every week to verify account status?

Thanks.

Re: Questions about Directivo

Originally posted by JG24
    I have a phillips standalone running with my emu IRD. I was thinking about getting a Directivo but have some questions.

1. If the guide data is delivered via Directv, then why does the Tivo need to call in. Is it just to check account status?
    Yes. And to download the tivo specific features, suggestions, etc. The DirecTiVo uses the Advanced Program Guide Data from DirecTV which is sent via satelitte. I think it is the same as the DirecTV Plus receivers. It is more comprehensive, but slower than snot.

2. If I am running an emu then all I need to do is let it call in the first time (without emu running) then unplug phone, right?
    Bad Idea. To call in you would need your emulator active. The tivo knows all your info including your CAM ID. Tivo says that it shares billing information with DirecTV. Could result in a blacklisted card at some future time.

3. If I do the above step, then why would I have to pay for the tivo service? I have the software and the guide data. Or, does the Directivo require a callin every week to verify account status?
    I belive it will lock you out of the Tivo Features after 30 days of no contact.

if you do the servicestate hack, then you dont have to worry about it dialing in to check to see if it still deserves guide data. i just set mine to servicestate 5 yesterday, so i suppose i will see in about a month whether i need to do something more.

where? how?

i have sat-t60..

can i use the blesstivo boot disk to do this?

dylan's boot disk does not have a chattr command..

help!!!

dylans boot disk doesnt have chattr, and i believe it requires some libraries that arent on there. To do the chattr stuff on my directivo drive using a fairly generic rh 7.0 install i had to:

0) make a copy with a spare 40 gig
    0.1) use the copy in the dtivo to check it. only make changes to the copy

then:

1) get the 2.4 kernel from tivohack.sourceforge.net
    2) make a listing for it in the lilo.conf, then run lilo to make it recognize the change
    3) boot with the linuxTivo listing that i created
    4) when it brings up errors and cant continue to boot, put in the admin password.
    5) mount the partitions that were needed. in my case, /dev/hdc4, /dev/hdc7 ( tivo partitions ), as well as my /dev/hda6 (for access to usr/bin, where chattr is)
    6) at this point, i just used vim and edited the rc.sysinit on both partitions to enable bash. (covered elsewhere, use search on avsforum)
    7) used chattr on rc.sysinit on both partitions
    8) drop in and go!

hope this helps, im still learning linux as well, so i know how you feel

when you changed the kernel.. did you just rename the current kernel that you had with the modified one and just run lilo? or was there more steps than that?

I straight copied the "wimp" version and renamed that kernel with one that was running and ran lilo.. rebooted and the system still didn't see the tivo partitions..

Last edited by zo6vette; 07-07-2001 at 04:15 AM.

you have to mount the tivo partitions yourself, they don't just show up. also, i created a second listing. my lilo.conf looks similar to this:

boot=/dev/sda
    map=/boot/map
    install=/boot/boot.b
    prompt
    timeout=00

Default=dos

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
    label=linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-10.img
    root=/dev/sda6
    read-only

image=/boot/bzImage
    label=linuxTivo
    initrd=/boot/bzImage

image=/dev/hda2
    label=dos

notice that i added the listing for linuxTivo (its not exactly like that, but fairly close. look up lilo.conf on the web for better info). when i want to load my tivo drives, i use 'linuxTivo' at the lilo boot prompt instead of whatever else. it gives an error when trying to do some module stuff, asks for the administrator password, then gives me a bash prompt. from there, just mount whatever partitions you need to access the /usr/bin directory, as well as your two tivo partitions: /dev/hdX4 and /dev/hdX7 where X is a,b,c, or d depending on whether your drive is primary master, primary slave, secondary master, or secondary slave

i tried.. i get errors but system boots all the way through.. i never get dropped to bash prompt.

did you had to install other patches from the website other than the kernel?

i didnt install any other patches. either way, if it booted properly, then you need to get a bash prompt once it boots. that will either be by logging in normally, or by starting a terminal emulator. once you have the terminal emulator up, mount your tivo partitions and go.

finally got it.. well.. which file did you modify?

thanks for the patience..

finally got it.. well.. which file did you modify?

thanks for the patience..