Thread: New P4 Series 2 cards just for DTiVo????

New P4 Series 2 cards just for DTiVo????

I have a source who has been fairly reliable in the past telling me that there is going to be a new P4s2 card sent out to all DTiVo users.

I saw the thread here a few days ago where people where saying they got a letter from DTV stating they would be receiving a new card in the mail. But nobody mentioned anything about a "series 2" card. I have a picture of it and am not sure if this is just another rumor/joke or if there is some truth behind this new card specific to DTiVo. Anyone know????

ThreeIees
    Last edited by ThreeIees; 11-04-2002 at 06:06 PM.

Just that there is a pic going around, and that the word is that it's a P4 Series 2, and only for DTiVo's. I don't know why they would do this, other than possibly to correct any problems that were caused with P4's and Dual Tuners? Just a guess, but what other issues are there that could be addressed with a card for DTiVo's only?

My DTivo works fine with just a regular P4.

Originally posted by JustCuz
    Just that there is a pic going around, and that the word is that it's a P4 Series 2, and only for DTiVo's. I don't know why they would do this, other than possibly to correct any problems that were caused with P4's and Dual Tuners? Just a guess, but what other issues are there that could be addressed with a card for DTiVo's only?
    Maybe to fix the "problem" we don't talk about around here. Might make sense for the series 1's. Alpha, you might be right about locking down the EEPROM!

I was under the impression, that series2 DTiVo's were only single Tuner anyhow..
    I Dont think this is true, after all look at Juppers.. his regular p4 works just fine
    -= Glitched =-

>>> there is a pic going around, and that the word is that it's a P4 Series 2, and only for DTiVo's. <<<

Could be. If you're talking about the "pink" card picture though, it's quite unusual. An ovearall pink cast except for the Tivo and Series 2 logos, which are the only graphic elements not on a standard p4. IOW you could get the same result by scanning a standard P4, adding the pink tone in Photoshop and dropping the elements in.

It has also been noted that the Tivo and the Series 2 don't line up with the rest of the card (I didn't look at it that closely). Other objections are that DTV's description of the new DTivo as "Series 2"seems not quite kosher, also that the introduction of still another card complicates a DTV logistics situation that is not ideal as it is.

Will,

I had the same thoughts. This hole thing does not make much sense to me. And you are right, the card is now pink (strange color) and the tivo guy is on the card. Could have been easily created by someone wanting to start a rumor. Thats why I posted the question but did not post the pic. I did not want to contribute to the pic making the rounds around the net.

Just hoping there is not a different card for the TiVo then the regular DTV IRDs.

ThreeIees

If there is a TiVo guy on the card, then it is an obvious fake since it has been revealed on TCF by one of the tivo reps that the series 2 DTV TiVo will be without the TiVo Guy. It's going to look like DTV made and owns the box (cause really, they do).

P4S2 card? LOL!

100.00% BS.

the series 2 dtivos will be identical to the series 1 dtivos feature wise, except a faster processor and possibly a larger hard drive. otherwise, the same. if you hear someone say that s2 dtivos are single tuner, they are flat out wrong. the series 2 SA units are 1 tuner, but we already knew that.