Thread: Turbonet very slow in DTIVO

Unhappy Turbonet very slow in DTIVO

For some reason the turbonet card in my DTIVO transfers files very very slow, what takes a hour with my other (two) tivo's takes 24 hrs with my DTIVO.

Here is the setup,

Dtivo-2.51 , Turbonet - Timing=5, 100mbs switch to target computer with a 100mbs net card installed (one hop away)

Reference setup(s);

SA 3.0, Turbonet, same target computer and switch

SA 2.0, Tivonet, same target computer and switch

I have not diddled with the timing value yet, please Jafa (or someone in the know) put some light to this

Thankx all,
    Jmayes

You may want to post questions for Jafa in the Tivo Community Forum either in the Tivo Underground or the Tivo Upgrade Center forums. That's his usual hangout and where all TurboNet support is provided. Here's a link to the Tivo Community Forum.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Yes, check with jafa. I had similar problems, turned out to be a bad board. 9thTee will swap it if it's bad.

You might want to try swapping boards with your other TiVo
    SVR 2000 running 3.0 with 1x160Gb and Lifetime Sub
    SAT-T60 running 3.1 with 1x250Gb and Turbonet over 802.11

Thankx guys, I have the same question posted on the other forum but since the files that are problematic are ty I can't really get into it on there. I may swap boards, I just really hate touching the other working tivo (if it's not broke don't touch!)

Anyone played with the timing var in dtivo?

Thankx again,
    Jmayes

Originally posted by jmayes
    Thankx guys, I have the same question posted on the other forum but since the files that are problematic are ty I can't really get into it on there. I may swap boards, I just really hate touching the other working tivo (if it's not broke don't touch!)

Anyone played with the timing var in dtivo?

Thankx again,
    Jmayes
    Just try FTP-ing a large file to and from the TiVo. Time it and post your results. They can't complain about that.

And don't worry too much - jafa's pretty cool and he will respond. He knows damn well what people are using the boards for. You just play the game and the people on that board leave you alone.
    SVR 2000 running 3.0 with 1x160Gb and Lifetime Sub
    SAT-T60 running 3.1 with 1x250Gb and Turbonet over 802.11

Question Transfer Rate of Turbonet

Hi,

what is the appr. expected transfer rate for turbonet? Mine does about 170kByte/s, which is IMHO quite slow compared to about 700 kByte/sec you usually get with 10MBit cards.

Thanks.

Well I bit the bullit and swaped the turbo-net cards between the SA and DTIVO, same results the DTIVO is slower then a dog - 1M per 1000 seconds, the SA gets about a meg every second or two. One huge difference!

Is everyone using the timing value of 5 (Default) on their DTIVO's or can that be tweeked to speed things up?

Any other ideas, I am using extreme and it's update.

Thankx all!
    Jmayes

Re: Transfer Rate of Turbonet

I get about what everyone else is getting, which is roughly 1.75 MB/Seconds (which translates to about 14 mbit/sec throughput). It will transfer a Babylon5 in about 10 minutes to my XP pc.

If you are getting an abnormally low throughput AND you've swapped the cards, then you have something wrong in your Dtivo setup. Could also be a weirdo thing like a bad cable or a bad connection somewhere, so I'd rule those out too.

Originally posted by nulpi
    Hi,

what is the appr. expected transfer rate for turbonet? Mine does about 170kByte/s, which is IMHO quite slow compared to about 700 kByte/sec you usually get with 10MBit cards.

Thanks.

I have ruled out 100% of the hardware, this must be a setup/software issue. No-one has played with the timing var yet?

Thankx again,
    Jmayes

Never had a problem with slow transfers here - plenty speedy. Timing=5.

Get ahold of jafa over on tivocommunity. He designed it, he ought to have some ideas about what's wrong.