Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For you DVD burning guys...

For you DVD burning guys...

If all you care about is DVD burning, this may be a better option for you...

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/10/2....shtml?tid=129
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

The Panasonic DVD/PVR records in DVD-R and DVD-RAM formats only. DVD-RAM is not compatible with any set-top DVD players. Besides, it only records from an analog source and not the DTV datastream. Waste of money considering what we can do with a DTivo.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Well, actualy it has a firewire port (yeah, doesn't work on directv, but does work on many cable providers), and DVD-R is very compatible. DVD-RAM support is a good thing since you can use the same disc over and over again.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

The whole point of video extraction from a DTivo is to record with the highest picture quality possible, short of HDTV. I'm not sure what the advantage is to having a Firewire port except for maybe porting the video over to your PC. I can't see much use for that other than allowing you to compile multiple shows or perform editing tasks. Using any DVD recorder that only records from an analog source will result in an inferior quality DVD compared with what we can achieve with a DTivo. I play my Ty-DVDs on a 50" Mitsubishi RPTV and, believe me, the degradation is quite noticeable. It's no different than using a SA Tivo or ReplayTV.

On another similar note, I was in Circuit City the other day and noticed that RCA has introduced a PVR with an integrated DVD player. I also saw a link over at the Tivo Community Forum the other day for a new PVR being introduced by Time Warner for use on cable systems. It's got dual tuners like a DTivo but works with cable. I imagine that it may also be used with a separate DTV receiver as well but only with an analog input signal.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Right I know why you want a dtivo for that, but...

The firewire port is for some digital cable or satelite receivers to send the raw video data over to another source for viewing, e.g. theres no analog conversion. Thus far there are no satellite receivers that do this, but like I said, there are currently digital cable boxes that do.

ok..great...so what is the best dvd burner to buy right now if you want to pull shows from your dtivo (DSR6000) and put them on dvd plz?? My birthday is coming up and i want to know what to ask my better half to get

Originally posted by AlphaWolf

The firewire port is for some digital cable or satelite receivers to send the raw video data over to another source for viewing, e.g. theres no analog conversion. Thus far there are no satellite receivers that do this, but like I said, there are currently digital cable boxes that do.
    I'm pretty sure they will market the firewire port feature as a direct connect from digital camcorders - converting your "Home video" directly to DVD.

I'd Imagine THAT is a huge target market for their component.
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

DVD Recorder

Hey quantum, check out the DRU500A by Sony:

http://www.storagebysony.com/cd-rw/product.asp?id=199

It records to DVD+R/RW AND DVD-R/RW... All for $350.

I don't personally have one so I can't really vouch for it but it was featured in this months CPU magazine. They seemed to like it well enough.

This way you don't have to worry which format is better. You can use either...
    -Bronco

i have one

and the motha****a rocks!

it does both formats, and records DVD-R at 4X, which is a great enhancement over the 2.4X stuff.

The only flaw i see so far is that nothing supports it yet... but thats a software issue and should be taken care of by CD/DVD Software vendors in the next two-four weeks.

anyone else got one yet?

If your primary purpose is to create DVDs playable on your standalone player, then the Pioneer DVR-104 is still the best bet for the money. Records in DVD-R (most compatible for standalone players), supported by all major software tools, and can be had for $250. Latest firmware upgrade also enables recording at 4X on supported media.

DVD-R/RW seems to be the most cost effective format. DVD+R/RW discs are much harder to find and are several times the cost of DVD-R/RW discs. The dual-format Sony does sound intriguing though. I personally have a Pioneer A03. It may be getting a bit dated by today's standards but it's one of the few burners directly supported by SpruceUp and DVD Maestro.

There are Firewire kits currently on the market for transferring home videos from your digital camcorder for burning to DVD. They've been available for about a year now.

Post SA Explorer 8000

PVR 8000

The Explorer 8000 Home Entertainment Server will also provide an extensive set of input/output capabilities, including conven-ient front panel access to a USB port, multiple composite video and audio jacks, and dual IEEE 1394 ports that will allow connection to other 1394-enabled devices such as external hard drives.

FireWire Port

Are you sure that the FireWire port is an output port? All the documentation that I've see is that it's an INPUT port (i.e., to allow a DV Camcorder to be hooked up so you can record output from the DV to a DVD-R or DVD-RAM). I don't own one currently, so don't quote me on that, but that's what I've read on the device.

Originally posted by AlphaWolf

Firewire is bi-directional

Re: FireWire Port

Originally posted by Wooly
    Are you sure that the FireWire port is an output port? All the documentation that I've see is that it's an INPUT port (i.e., to allow a DV Camcorder to be hooked up so you can record output from the DV to a DVD-R or DVD-RAM). I don't own one currently, so don't quote me on that, but that's what I've read on the device.
    I'm positive, take for example, in new york, cablevision provides set top boxes for their digital cable subscribers that have a firewire output port. This is what the firewire port on that DVD pvr is for.