Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Channel ICON in Now Playing

Channel ICON in Now Playing

I just bought the second T60 and had extreme on it. My first has the channel ICON in the playing list but the 2nd one does NOT have it. Did i miss some steps? I have everything else work like the way i like it. Thanks

Just wait...that 'minor' update will come down on a Service Data Download overnight.

Smile

Thanks

30 Update?

Do you have to have NOSDD turned off to get the service data download?
    Last edited by fdx45; 09-19-2003 at 10:20 PM.

You know, I've read that this is part of the SDD but since I've rebuilt my system from scratch, I've had 3 or 4 downloads. I still don't have my channel logos in Now Playing! Does anyone know what the hell is going on with this?
    DVD Backup guides and TiVo to DVDR guide ----> HTTP://DVDGUIDES.TRILIGHT.NET

Ok, while trying to learn how to replace my "satellite acquisition" screen, I stumbled across something rather interesting. When I do a listing of the files in MFS at "/Resource/Image", I notice a listing for networks in there. They are listed as something like this (for NBC)...

Code:
    Fsid: 1442       nbc-s1-p1
    Fsid: 18537     nbc-s2-p2
    Now the interesting part is that I noticed that CBS is listed like this...

Code:
    Fsid: 1440      cbs-s1-p1
    Upon further inspection of other network listings, I saw that those that had icons shown in "Now Playing" all seemed to have both a "s1-p1" and a "s2-p2" with the "s2-p2" having an Fsid of 18xxx. This can't just be a coincidence. Do any MFS gurus have some advice on how I can test this theory out or force population of my icons for the other networks? Thanks!!

EDIT: Ok, now I'm convinced. I went through and started recording something on each channel I had a "s2-p2" listing for. In every instance, I have an icon listed in the "Now Playing" list. Now the trick is to figure out how to insert the proper size/color icons into their appropriate positions. I could sure use some guidance.
    Last edited by TRILIGHT; 10-10-2003 at 01:12 AM.

Well, I don't know much about these particular images, but I do know that tivoweb makes this easy for you. Get the latest tivoweb, and use the "Logos" module.

As for their spec, my observation is that the NowShowing logos are 100x35 pixel PNG images with 8-bit color depth and a specialized palette (see the thread where I posted the script for the acquiring satellite PNG). The regular channel logos are the same, only 65x55 pixels.

If somebody ever puts together a suite of skinning scripts, it would be easy to include this as part of it.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Thanks for the advice, AlphaWolf. I'm not sure I trust the "logos" thing in TivoWeb though. When I had them working fine before, TivoWeb still reported "None" for all Channel and Now Showing listings. Furthermore, if I check my selections, there are only a small number of icons listed for "Now Showing" and, should you select one, it associates the main channel icon with that selection. Not that any of this matters, of course, because even if I select something to try to force a selection on a given channel, it still does not show up. Somehow I am missing all of these "s2-p2" files that should be there but are not. Would you mind checking yours to see if you have them? For that matter, would ANYONE who has their icons working check their MFS database and let me know if you have these "secondary" files listed where I do not? THANKS!!!

Hey Trilight, it's good to see that someone else is interested in the Now Playing logos. I was unable to find a solution to this a few months ago, the only thing I could do was get an image from a TiVo which already had all these logos, put it on my disk and disable the error #51 without doing a clear and delete. The logos never come down with any service data download. Even the normal channel logos have not been sent down for a long time.

I have tried the Tivoweb logo module but that doesn't work. The only place I can see these logos show up is before the TiVo downloads the satellite info. Try that, associate a logo to any channel, record something there and then reboot. When you're at the acquiring satellite info screen go into Now Playing and you'll see the logo you selected there. Once the boot up process is complete it will disappear.

I did a listing of my /Resource/Image and I get this at the end:

GridIconADT.7 tyDb 2154 10/10/00 18:27 140
    GridIconDD.6 tyDb 2156 10/10/00 18:27 140

I think that this is not the complete listing. How would I get it to list everything in there? I didn't see any of the files you mentioned earlier. Please let me know, I'm very interested in helping but I don't know much about MFS.

The logos I have in my Now Playing list are:

WB, CBS, FOX, BBC America, Comedy Central, NBC, TBS, Discovery Channel, A&E, FX, VH1, MTV, HBO, SciFi, Speed Channel, PBS, HBO2, DirecTV, Showtime, USA Network.

These are the ones I can see on my list at this time. There are many more.
    HDVR2 running 6.2 on a dying WD 120GB with an expired warranty. Trying to get Barracuda to play nice.

Well I just remembered that I can browse through MFS using Tivoweb. So attached is a file with a listing of all the s1-p1 and s2-p2 files I have on my DSR6000. Hope this helps.
    HDVR2 running 6.2 on a dying WD 120GB with an expired warranty. Trying to get Barracuda to play nice.

I didn't have a lot to do, so here are some statistics about the data:

The oldest logos are from October 10th, 2000

The newest ones are from October 12th, 2002.

10/10/2000 - 46 logos
    5/16/2001 - 14 logos
    9/18/2001 - 1 logo
    4/12/2002 - 2 logos
    6/15/2002 - 125 logos
    6/20/2002 - 1 logo
    6/22/2002 - 1 logo
    7/13/2002 - 10 logos
    7/27/2002 - 148 logos
    8/10/2002 - 8 logos
    8/24/2002 - 17 logos
    9/8/2002 - 2 logos
    10/12/2002 - 4 logos

Originally posted by havanahjoe
    The logos I have in my Now Playing list are:

WB, CBS, FOX, BBC America, Comedy Central, NBC, TBS, Discovery Channel, A&E, FX, VH1, MTV, HBO, SciFi, Speed Channel, PBS, HBO2, DirecTV, Showtime, USA Network.

These are the ones I can see on my list at this time. There are many more.
    DAMN DUDE!!! I wish I had those logos! That's most of what I record anyway. I had actually forgotten TiVoWeb did it too so I was using the following script which is a slightly modified version of a script AlphaWolf posted somewhere...

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh
    set db [dbopen]
    ForeachMfsFile fsid name type "/Resource/Image" "" {
    RetryTransaction {
    set obj [db $db openid $fsid]
    set Name [dbobj $obj get Name]
    set File [dbobj $obj get File]
    }
    puts "Fsid: $File\t$Name"
    }
    As for checking during the sat acq, you're exactly right! The logo I set showed up and none of my normal logos showed up. After that process was complete, my other logos were displayed and the one I selected was gone. I can only imagine that the TivoWeb logo thing was written with only standalone units in mind.

Now, I just used a modified script of AlphaWolf's in order to replace my sat acq screen. No problem. However, it is written such that it looks for that file in MFS and then replaces it with the one I specify. While this is fine for replacement, I am not quite certain how I could use it to my advantage for inserting files where they do not already exist. Hopefully AlphaWolf or someone else with MFS FSID insight can give us some pointers on inserting things where they do not already exist.

Originally posted by TRILIGHT

Now, I just used a modified script of AlphaWolf's in order to replace my sat acq screen. No problem. However, it is written such that it looks for that file in MFS and then replaces it with the one I specify. While this is fine for replacement, I am not quite certain how I could use it to my advantage for inserting files where they do not already exist. Hopefully AlphaWolf or someone else with MFS FSID insight can give us some pointers on inserting things where they do not already exist.
    Well, I am not sure what you are talking about when you say "they do not already exist." But, it may help you if I explain how things generaly work in MFS:

The actual "files" where stuff like pictures, sounds, and tystreams are stored is not done so in the form of directories and filenames like we are used to on a typical PC filesystem. Instead, each file is assigned a unique ID, which tivo dubbed the "FSID", which most of us guess stands for "File System ID". The FSID of each file means nothing to us or the tivo, as FSIDs are essentialy random for any given file. (well, FSIDs aren't assigned completely random, they are assigned sequentialy, but I say random because you can't predict what a files FSID will be)

At this point your probably thinking "If the files aren't named or organized in any way, then how do I, or even the tivo itself for that matter, tell what kind of file each FSID is, or even what its used for?" To that I answer: This is where the database comes in.

Think of the MFS database as being just like the windows registry, you have the directories (aka keys) which contain tydb objects and other directories. These objects aren't files so much as they are places to store information in attributes. Take for example, in our specific case, the db objects that are used for Image files. If you were to dumpobj one of them, you'd get something like this:

Code:
    Image 3137/11 {
      ServerVersion  = 1
      Name           = ArrowDown-256.9
      File           = 3138
      Format         = 2
      ServerId       = 3845909
      Version        = 1
      IndexPath      = /Resource/Image/ArrowDown-256.9 /Server/3845909
    }
    The words like "serverversion", "name", "file", "format", etc, are attributes. These are used for different things. The number to the right is the value they store. In our specific case, we want to look at the "Name" and "File" attributes. In simple terms, the name attribute indicates the name of the image (but not necessarily the name of the file, as files aren't named). The file attribute indicates the FSID of the file, this way the tivo knows which MFS file it is, gets it, and loads it. So to sum it up, this object basicaly tells the tivo that if it wants to find the image named "ArrowDown-256.9", then it has to open FSID 3138.

So what happens when we want to replace this file with a different one so we can have a different image in place?

What we do is use ToMfs to copy a file from your ext2 partition into MFS. This creates a new file with a new random FSID that it gives you, and copies the contents of the source file into it. But, this new file in MFS wont do anything yet; for the time being its just a file that just sits there. What you will do now is change the File attribute in that image object to point to the FSID of the new file you just copied into MFS. From here on out (sometimes a reboot is required), the tivo will now display the new image you put into MFS instead of the old one.
    Last edited by AlphaWolf; 10-10-2003 at 11:25 AM.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

On the other Now Playing Logos thread I started a couple of months ago, n4zmz offered to create a slice file for me if I could provide the pngs for all the logos:

I've written a little utility which will take a directory of PNG/GIFs and generate the required format for writeguide to create the slice. The file names need to be in the format:

xxx-s1-p1.png
    xxx-s2-p2.png
    At the time I wasn't able to find these files, but now that I have we can go ahead and get the slice file.

What I don't know is if using this slice with dbload will work, since this is for standalones right?? They would probably only show up in Now Playing during the satellite acquisition.

If/when I get the slice I'll post it so we can do some tests.

Thank you for taking the time to explain a little bit about how MFS works, AlphaWolf! It's the most/best information I've found in one place yet! The following is the script I used to replace my satellite acquisition screen...

Code:
    #!/tvbin/tivosh
    EnableTransactionHoldoff true

set db [dbopen]

ForeachMfsFile fsid name type "/Resource/Image" "" {

RetryTransaction {

set resobject [db $db openid $fsid]
            set resname [dbobj $resobject get Name]
            set resfsid [dbobj $resobject get File]

if { $resname == "PowerOnProm.6" } {
                set newfsid [ToMfs acq_sat.png]
                dbobj $resobject set File $newfsid
            }
        }
    }

RetryTransaction {
        set swsysa [db $db open "/SwSystem/ACTIVE"]
        set resgrp [dbobj $swsysa get ResourceGroup]
        foreach res $resgrp {
            dbobj $res remove "CompressedFile"
        }
    }

dbclose $db
    Now, I don't know enough about Linux to know exactly what each of these commands do but I do know enough to read what is going on. The script searches the "/Resource/Image" area (I won't call it a directory) utilizing the $resname variable, for the name "PowerOnProm.6". When it finds it, it replaces the current FSID for that item to the new one given the data that's in the PNG created.

Now what I was referring to is that this particular script reads through MFS to find this match before running a replacement sequence. My concern is that I read something Cobelli said about an item being larger than it's predecessor causing a problem. Now, I may have misread but this was my interpretation of what was said. That, coupled with the fact that I have no names ending in "s2-p2" to search for, made me wonder how I would go about adding the required icons to my MFS. It's obvious that, since I am missing these items, and those that exist do result in a network icon being displayed in "Now Playing", I am not getting anything when those channels are recorded. There is apparently "nothing there" to use.

Would it be as simple as just leaving out the "IF" comparison and assigning it the name I wanted (ie. cbs-s2-p2) for those items I do not currently have? Thanks again, AlphaWolf!!