Thread: Linux Help

Linux Help

Can one of you tolerant Tivo masters help me with I hope to be a simple explanation? I have a virgin hd from a new HDR212 that I would like to make a small bu of on cd(s).

Iíve read that it says that the size of this new hd data can be anywhere from 600mg to 20gigs I would like to determine the size before backing up so I can select the right size hd to bu too. I have put together a Linux box with redhat 7.1, but at this time Iím still a novice at this os, but consider myself a fast starter. Any help would be appreciated. I posted this request on the AVS underground forum this AM without receiving a reply. I hope its not considered in bad taste to post in more then one forum. Have any of you guys ever thought about making your own certification? Maybe a CTE (Certified Tivo Engineer).

What you should do is plug the tivo's HD into the linux box. Assuming that the new drive is /dev/hdb, just do the following:

tar cIf /var/tivobackup.tar.bz2 /dev/hdb

That will back up the drive into the file tivobackup.tar.bz2 in /var. You will need to be logged in as root to do this. It is only after you have done this that you will know how big your compressed backup is.

Good Luck!
    A

Thank You for your reply. I'll try as you have recommended.