Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting the mpeg files off the tivo?

Getting the mpeg files off the tivo?

Hello, i just recently got a network card as well as a 120 GB drive for my tivo, it currently has 141 hour recording capacity, waiting on another 120 GB drive for 285 or so hours of capacity. anyway i installed the FTP and web servers, and i really must say that the tivoweb is an awesome program. anyway i was wondering if there is anyway to transfer the mpeg captured programs off the tivo and onto a computer where I can convert them to divx. apparently the tivo drive that does the actual recording uses MFS and i dont know anything that can mount them, anyway another question i had was if this happend to you guys, adding the network card improved download time a lot! the download took 9 seconds to complete, preparing to call and stuff took longer than the download itself, it was faster than i expected but still, what really suprises me is how much faster the loading data is going, when it first started it said like 25 minutes, usually its around 170-220 minutes, atleast thats what tivo says, it usually goes a bit faster then they say, but about 20 minutes later i check up on it using the tivos web server and see Loading Data... 86%, 4 min it just seems to be going increadibly fast, is this some wierd situation or what? does it go really fast for you guys compared to how it was when you were using the modem as well? i wouldnt think it would effect the loading data part, and instead of saying like dialing it said homeworker or homestade or some weird home something instead of dialing, anyway i mainly want to know about the transfering of the captured files on the tivo i am also interested about the unbeliveably speedy download/loading data time.

anyway thanks i posted this in the tivo underground and they were no hope giving this as a response : 3) Video extraction is a banned topic. Try google or such to find the places the topic is not banned.

so that wasnt much help at all then they locked my thread, anyway i tried some files, extract stream, that seems to get segment faults, and when i ran the web server httpd.tcl when i go to now playing i see nothing, the tivoweb web server works fine though.

I have been using the mfsstream tivoweb module to transfer files from my Tivo. There is also TyTools but I haven't tried that yet, I'm gonna try it this weekend. Mfsstream works pretty well, you get another option on the main TivoWeb page from where you can download the .ty file from the tivo. Once you get the file you need to use vsplit to get the m2v and m2a files, you use Tmpegenc or another program to mux the files together into an .mpg file. Then you can use FlaskMpeg or any other program to convert the .mpg file to Divx or XVid. If you need more detailed instructions on how to do this there is a thread that talks about converting ty streams to Divx. Just do a search on Divx.

i dont need any help with converting the files ive had a lot expierence with capturing/converting files and doing dvd rips, how exacly do you add this mfsstream module and w here do i get it? where can i find a readme on how to add it to the web server?

now im having a different issue, im trying to ad another 120 GB drive to the tivo i blessed it but the tivo isnt showing a space difference and i know its detecting it because when i look in the logs it says things like

Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: hda: SAMSUNG SV1204H, 114498MB w/2048kB Cache, multiple 16, LBA, CHS=16383/16/63, DMA, SMART
    Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: hdb: SAMSUNG SV1204H, 114498MB w/2048kB Cache, multiple 16, LBA, CHS=16383/16/63, DMA, SMART

it also appears to be seeing the partitions on the drive as well
    Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12 hda13 hda14 hda15 hda16
    Jan 1 00:00:15 (none) kernel: hdb: hdb1 hdb2 hdb3[M]

Slack,

You will have to follow the Hinsdale directions on the 'other' board for added a second hard disk to an upgraded Tivo. The two drives become 'married' in order to work.

You can, however, now save your shows during an upgrade.

The logs are probably seeing the drive at a hardware level - it's there, but the Tivo software isn't going to fool with it (that 'married' problem).

Post if you have problems.

i used a boot disk and used the blesstivo program to marry it, it should be working i did the same thing when i originally had a 30 hour tivo and added a 90 hour tivo, yes i know i can preserve the recordings because i did i put the 90 GB of crap on a new 120 GB drive, upgraded my hours from 100 to 141 then i bought another 120 GB drive and ran the bless tivo program but its not marrying to the drive.

Once you upgraded the original with the large disk, something (I believe) breaks in terms of the ability to 'just bless' a future disk.

I would carefully check the upgrade directions (mfstools 2.0). Given that the disk is seen in hardware, but not by the Tivo AND the fact that the Tivo still works, I'm pretty confident that the marry didn't take. I would rewind a bit and try again without, possibly, skipping any steps.

ok i had to do the mfs add -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdd from the boot cd to add that second HD, all went well system info shows 298 hours 41 minutes recording capacity on basic and 80 hours on best, anyway can i get the mfsstream webmodule working on a SA tivo running version 3.0? thats what i would like to get done

anyway now i got everything i wanna do i downloaded tytool5 awesome program my thanks to jdiner it even splits the files for me, its pretty awesome, anyway looks like i probably wont be on this forum again or very often unless i have a problem i gots everything now telnet ftp and web server, turbonet, and being able to copy shit off the tivo to convert to divx as well as 298 hours of recording capacity.

Question got backups?

Since you're happy with it, have you backed it up? Kinda foolish question, I know, until you have a lightning strike, a power surge, a failed power supply, failing hard disk drive, etc.

You can always pull the drive and use MFStools to backup onto your pc. Or since you're networked, pickup Jarle Aase's War-NFS server for Win32 at www.jgaa.com and the TiVo NFS kernel module, and copy/tar/cpio your hacks to a safe (?!) location on your Win32 box.

happy TiVo'ing . . .

Instructions

Does anyone have or no where i can get cookbook instructions for downloading video files from my tivo ? Also can video files be uploaded to a tivo ?

Re: Instructions

Originally posted by nicholas8131
    Does anyone have or no where i can get cookbook instructions for downloading video files from my tivo ? Also can video files be uploaded to a tivo ?
    You found it ... you just need to select the receipe you like, in the many chapters of the cookbook. Start reading!
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

Question Please assume I am clueless

Ahh where are the "cookbook" instructions.

Separate forum area for video extraction

Go back to the main page for the message boards by clicking on the link above, where it says:

Category: TiVo General & Hacking & Home Entertainment

Then select the area titled:

TiVo Extraction Forum

There, you'll find a 'Sticky' thread near the topic, titled:

Dtivo Video extraction, splitting, and muxing - Scripts, programs, and How-to's only

I've made all of these references into hyperlinks, for your ease of use.

Keith thanks for your help. I guess I need the *****s guide to hacking Tivo !