Thread: Is 3.1 being offered for download?

Is 3.1 being offered for download?

Read this thread at tivocommunity

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...threadid=84647

I don't have access to my TiVo's right now can someone check thier var/log/scvlog and see if it was offered for download? And if it was Copy and paste the list of the file names from the log.

Thanks T_RJ
    Last edited by T_RJ; 11-12-2002 at 11:19 AM.

Nothing in my logs... but then again, there's never been any sighting of 2.5.2 either (I'm still stuck at 2.5.1)...

I have no idea what I did to my DSR6k but it seems to not even get Software upgrades in the svclog (refused or otherwise)...

Sofware update ? for who?

I was just curious..does your tivo have to be plugged in to a phone line to get the update?

What would be the biggest problem if it did get the update....cant you just restore it to 2.5 if there is a problem? ..

What damage could it possibley do to a tivo that is "subscribed" or "not subscribed" when the update installs?

Also is there a way to stop the update? i saw a pic on here by "justcuz" with a 3 wires solderd to the eprom with a stwitch to it guess that prevents the prom from getting flashed Right? Thanks justcuz great work with switch and fans..looks like a souupppped up Tivo...VRRROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM

also i got an update the other day it was like 2am it took about 30 mins to download... its was some kind of update..can remember what it was..but i counted from 1% - 100% maybe that would be a clue? Thanks to who ever takes the time to answer these questions .....................Raul

Most of your questions can't be answered yet. Not enough people have the update & most that do are part of the Beta program which legally requires them to keep quiet.

does your tivo have to be plugged in to a phone line to get the update?
    I don't think anyone can answer that for sure yet. If any update would come through the sat, I think that this one would, but in the past they've used the phone line.

What damage could it possibley do to a tivo that is "subscribed" or "not subscribed" when the update installs?
    A lot. Many of us have taken measures to block software updates, or protect our proms. Minor "damage" would require restoring to 2.5 & trying to figure out how to block the update better, & keep the unit working with a P3. Major damage could go as fas as a Hardware ECM. Most would probably say that a Hardware kill would never happen, but who knows. I've heard rumors of Dish Network doing it.

Also is there a way to stop the update?
    I already addressed this a little. Look into Alphawolfs NoSSD script. Look into modifications to your rc.sysinit. Look into the "Lock down your flash" thread.

also i got an update the other day it was like 2am it took about 30 mins to download
    Probably just a normal Service Download for Showcases, etc. This is the download that the NoSSD blocks, because it has the potential to come through as a software upgrade in the future. Check your Systems info screen to see if you are still at the same software version. Check your Phone Connection Info to see if it says something like "Pending Restart". If it says "Pending Restart", you may have a zipped software upgrade, that will unzip and install next time your machine reboots (it would happen the following evening). But I doubt that you got a SW update.

Originally posted by groundhog
    A lot. Many of us have taken measures to block software updates, or protect our proms. Minor "damage" would require restoring to 2.5 & trying to figure out how to block the update better, & keep the unit working with a P3. Major damage could go as fas as a Hardware ECM. Most would probably say that a Hardware kill would never happen, but who knows. I've heard rumors of Dish Network doing it.
    Dishnet will ECM hardware because they don't really subsidize it. (Also because they are doing a horrible job of locking down their access cards. NDS has them beat hands down.)

Tivo won't ECM hardware because they are already losing millions of dollars by subsidizing it, in the hope of gaining it back through subscription revenue. The real threat would be if DTV merged with Tivo, or compensated them for ECM damage, in order to lower piracy rates. Win-win-lose.