Thread: Threads are too loooooooooong

25 Threads are too loooooooooong

Hey guys (and cyber gals), your work is great! But a few threads have got out of hand in the video extraction dept. One being a whopping 1000 replys! It would not be so bad if the search would take you to the exact message the pertains to what you need but all it does is show you the thread that contains your request, I like many others cannot read through 1000 messages to find the answer to their problem. Perhaps the long threads could be zip'd by the admin and downloadable, then we can search using our own file utilitys? (just one thought)

Again the work is great!!!

Thankx all,
    Jmayes

Re: Threads are too loooooooooong

Originally posted by jmayes
    It would not be so bad if the search would take you to the exact message the pertains to what you need but all it does is show you the thread that contains your request, I like many others cannot read through 1000 messages to find the answer to their problem.
    Mark the box labeled "Show Results as Posts" when you search and it'll show you the results as posts.

Wink

ooooooooooh!

My Bad, never saw that option!!

Much better

Thankx for the quick help.

Jmayes

I never noticed that option. It should be the default option.

Question Is it time for a new Forum?

groundhog I agree, I hadn't realized it was an option.

My thots of late have been that we could use a new forum just for the discussion of video related topics. It seems that many of the thread headings are questions about that anyway.

If the video discussions were relocated it might make it easier to navigate both sections. Thats just my 2 cents worth

wm

Originally posted by rc3105
    if you want info on video formats 'n such, go to a video forum, of which there are plenty

this is a tivo site & the percentage of people with good video info is pretty low
    --
    Riley
    I think what wallmartian meant was video as it relates to Tivo, ie: extraction, insertion. You programmers take everything too literally.

Hey its all just 1's and 0's, right

Talking programmer humor

there are only 10 kinds of people in this world:
    - those that understand binary
    - those that don't

Keith,

I like that one

well riley, I think you are misunderstanding the intent of my post. as bubblelamp stated it was meant as a reference to Tivo.

I came here almost a year ago to learn and understand how to hack my tivo. I've done that, thanks to this forum! however, when I come here now it is filled with questions relating to the process of video extraction. I certainly don't mind that and the intent of my original post was only a suggestion that it might help others in finding the answers they require.

I have learned to extract video using jdiners fine tools. And with the help of guys like bubblelamp and captain video I can now make video cds of my favorite shows. So as you see I'm not looking for a new forum on just video.

You wrote:

"if you want info on video formats 'n such, go to a video forum, of which there are plenty

this is a tivo site & the percentage of people with good video info is pretty low

unfortunatly the percentage of people that read BEFORE they post an allready answered question is even lower...

which makes it even harder to find what little info there is...

I'm not sayin go away... that's just the way it is right now

sigh

--
    Riley"

So as you say I'm not saying go away, I'm just saying read before you post! Thats just the way it is right now

sigh

Here's another tip in dealing with long threads (if you have broadband).
    Go to the bottom and click on Show Printable Version. Then click on Show all ?number? posts from this thread on one page. You can then use Ctrl+F to find what you want.

Holy handgrenades Batman...these Search Tips belong in the stickes! In big bold red letters.
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by DarkWing; 11-15-2002 at 04:05 PM.

Originally posted by rc3105
    for advanced hacking info development has moved on from dd & only trickles back to here & tivocommunity slowly

--
    Riley
    Then you advanced folks shouldn't mind if us slackers feel it better to have a separate place for things like Josh's thread and similar topics.

>Here's another tip in dealing with long threads (if you have broadband).
    >Go to the bottom and click on Show Printable Version. Then click on Show all ?number? posts from this thread on one page. You can then use Ctrl+F to find what you want.

SUPERZAP, THAT IS GREAT INFO!!! This is exactly what I was originally looking for, just select all and save to a file and bingo you have a permant resource right on your computer!!

Sorry to get you-all riald-up, when I first posted I really did not know how to deal with the long threads, a sticky how-to may help the needless re-posts by nu-bes.

Thankx again all!
    Jmayes