Thread: Audio Sync

Audio Sync

I have been doing a search for the past few days and was unable to find anything that helped to fix my problem. I am unable to process a ty file using tytool or tystudio where the audio sync is lined up. I get the message below all the time:

Detected Tivo Type: DTivo
    Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
    Final standardAudioSize = 492
    Final standardFrameLength = 480
    Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
    First Video PTS: 00:01:14.163

I have tried every solution that I could think of. I messed with all of the settings in both programs. I am trying to get MPEG files out of these ty files and eventually put them onto DVD. I have updated to the latest version of tytool8r4 and using tserver_mfs7. I have tried creating all different types of files in tytool, still getting the same results. I tried to set the audio jump, didn't help.

Could it be the codec I am using? How do I change the codec? This is all I could think of. What else could I do to fix the audio sync?

I hope you find the answer, because I sure could not. I tried many options also but could not process the ty files. I am able to stream fine and play a ty file locally via Media Player, but cannot get them converted to mpeg without the audio sync problem.

If you do find the answer, please post it.
    Last edited by kevinm; 01-13-2004 at 08:28 AM.

it would help if you gave more info as to exactly what steps you are taking and what your goal is in processing..

satkid00, I should have warned you... even though you provided information like what tools you used, the versions and the fact you want to create dvds, someone will always ask for "details" in a condescending tone, but fail to include the specifics they are looking for to assist.

It may help if you provide some of the steps you took... i.e. multiplex vs ty extraction, transcoding, etc. Provide as much detail as you can.

A quick thing you could try is to use tytools8r3 with the newest version of tserver on running on the tivo. Extract in ty extraction mode, process your file with patch audio holes turned on but audio transcoding set to none. Run through the steps to edit video and create the ifo set, play that in something like PowerDVD and see if its in sync. Many people have used the above steps to create perfect dvd's from tivo video.

someone will always ask for "details" in a condescending tone, but fail to include the specifics they are looking for to assist.
    The fact of the matter is he gave virtually NO relevant information. He said he was using tytools, audio is out of sync, and he wants to go to DVD... unfortunately that is not enough information... so my response was

it would help if you gave more info as to exactly what steps you are taking and what your goal is in processing..
    so please tell me, exactly what was condescending in there? Not only was I not condescending or even annoyed when I typed it, I asked for exactly what I wanted.. the exact steps he was using and his eventual goal... it can't get any more plain than that.

I'm sorry if you had some guy jump down your throat for something you felt was unfair on this board or another board, but congratulations, you just did the exact same thing.

Back to the subject, satkid00, unfortunately you didn't provide enough information. what are you doing with the ty? Are you editing it at all? Are you using only tytools to send it to DVD or are you using an external program? Are you using tytools to edit or are you using an external program.... I will tell you right now that if you aren't using tytools for everything from extracting to authoring, your mileage will vary. Unfortunately DirecTV isn't sending out anywhere near DVD compliant streams, both in resolution and they way the video is constructed. Every actual DVD and mpeg program isn't really set to work with DirecTV's streams. To make matters worse, it is usually the case that not every ty program works with the stream the same way also. What I am getting at is that if you use tytools from extraction to authoring, you should almost always have exact audio, but if you start introducing other programs in there, mpeg2vcr, dvd-lab, tystudio, etc.. you will always run the risk of unsynced audio...

Quote Originally Posted by borghe
    so please tell me, exactly what was condescending in there? Not only was I not condescending or even annoyed when I typed it, I asked for exactly what I wanted.. the exact steps he was using and his eventual goal... it can't get any more plain than that.
    Borghe, at first read it appeared condescending but apparently it was just terse. My coffee has not set in yet, and I appoligize for jumping on you about that.

ok here is what i am doing,
    i am extracting the ty files using tytool8r4 with tserver_mfs7 installed. i have my options set to patch audio holes and and have tried all of the different audio transcodings. i am creating an mpeg file in tytools by going thru the the process where i make the key file, edit the key file by taking out the commercials, and multiplex the key file which creates the mpeg. i then play the resulting mpeg in windows media player where the audio has been off with every option that i have tried. i have also tried this in both vsplit and multiplex mode still getting the same results. obtaining the ty file and streaming it to the pc have not been a problem, it is something with the audio that i can not figure out.

what i am looking to do is to get this 480x480 mpeg and put it into TMPG Enc Plus where I will be able to convert it to a 720x480 mpeg. I will then use Encore DVD to create a DVD with these mpeg2 files on there. However this step has not been taken yet becasue I am having audio problems in tytool. However, I have tested this with out of sync files and this part has been the easiest step of the process. So once I get to here, things should all come together.

I am only using tytool to create the original mpeg file where the audio is out of sync. Everything I have done with the ty file has been done within the tytool program itself. I have also tried using tystudio to process the ty file that I extracted using tytool, but that was no good either. i hope i have given some more detail that will hopefully allow us to come up with a solution to this problem which, as i see, more than myself are experiencing.

first, I wouldn't use 8r4pre1... it supposedly good, but has no guarantees... it is mainly to test the FAE capabilities that are forthcoming in GOPEditor.. instead try using 8r3.

Second, WMP is not a good indication of your movie... I would instead play it in something like PowerDVD or the like.. WMP is very buggy when it comes to MPEG2/DVD. Your movie may in fact be out of sync, but WMP is a horrible app to be laying down the final verdict with.

what I do that works everytime (your mileage may vary) is essentially:

set tytool to patch audio holes, NO TRANSCODING, create key file, edit using GOPEditor, create vob, create ifo.. this is the only surefire way I have come across to make a DVD... until FAE is available in tytool, I will sometimes roll the dice and edit with MPEG2VCR, but it is really hit and miss.. sometimes the sync will be perfect.. sometimes it will be a tad off and slightly annoying, and other times it will be running a full 1-2 seconds ahead of the video.. unfortunately it seems to be based on the quality of the encoding from directv and where your cuts happen to line up... if the video happens to have an insanely long gop (3-4 seconds) and one of your cuts happen to land at a bad place in that GOP, it is going to wreak havoc with your movie... unfortunately it is just the nature of what we are dealing with.

the bottom line is this.. I have had close to what you are describing. While never problems staying through the decoding in tytools, when venturing outside of it there are some movies that I just couldn't get in sync. my recommendation is to take the movie all the way through creating the dvd fileset in tytool.. load the image up in a player that supports loading from the hard drive (PowerDVD for one) and see if your audio is out of sync in the software player... if you have a dvd-rw avaiable, burn to one and see if it will play in your home player. if you go through that entire process and it is in sync, then you know that for that movie at least, your chances of taking it outside of tytool are slim.. if going through tytool the movie is still out of sync, I would seriously just try another movie.

to recap, first, use 8r3. next, make sure you aren't doing any audio transcoding. third, make a dvd all the way through tytools and play the image either on a software player or burn it to an rw and play it on your home player. Those are the places I would start.

well thank you. i'll give it a try and get back.

Quote Originally Posted by satkid00
    what i am looking to do is to get this 480x480 mpeg and put it into TMPG Enc Plus where I will be able to convert it to a 720x480 mpeg. I will then use Encore DVD to create a DVD with these mpeg2 files on there. However this step has not been taken yet becasue I am having audio problems in tytool. However, I have tested this with out of sync files and this part has been the easiest step of the process. So once I get to here, things should all come together.
    I would try building the IFO set with tytool and testing out the 480x480 video in your dvd player. Its non-standard but seems to play correctly in about 75% of dvd players. Avoiding the transcode of video will benefit you both in time saved and vast increase in video quality. It also has less chance of audio sync problems as well as the fact that the mpeg from tytool may possibly not be accepted by the mpeg transcoding program due to some very well known bugs in tytool that will be addressed in a future release.

Windows media player doesn't know how to play a MPG. Use PowerDVD, or some other player, and the audio will play in sync.

-lloyd-
    SA-2000 Sony 80 Hours w/ tivonet
    SA-2000 Sony 30 Hours w/ turbonet
    SD-H400 Toshiba 80 Hours

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo

Quote Originally Posted by lmurray
    Windows media player doesn't know how to play a MPG. Use PowerDVD, or some other player, and the audio will play in sync.
    I tried PowerDVD and it does work. Quicktime and WMP do not. The odd think is WMP can play a ty file with the tyshow hacks.

Oh well ;-).

I found that to be the problem as well. Windows Media Player would not play the audio correctly. I had success with Power DVD. Thanks for the help.