Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: MUX'ing, VSplit, and MPG2 files... #2!

Originally posted by AlphaWolf
    Well...no, not in this case.
    Actually according what I have been reading that is not true in this case.

There is a clear line of demarcation in my code. I didn't pull bits and pieces from his. I made function calls, almost to the point of it being a library baring only how it was compiled.

That being the case the "seperate" source files can be released under whatever I want. The changes to tridges source remain covered by the original GPL.

This is why I really dislike this whole argument. Given what people say about GPL everything I have ever written belongs to the guy who wrote the first C programming book I had. (Ira and Kelly Pohl...) Because without their knowledge I would never have been able to do anything...

But I digress...

--jdiner

Alright. For those that use it. The next release with the better speed and packet size has been released. Check the proper sticky thread for it.

--jdiner

Originally posted by jdiner

There is a clear line of demarcation in my code. I didn't pull bits and pieces from his. I made function calls, almost to the point of it being a library baring only how it was compiled.
    I think you are thinking of the LGPL (lesser gnu public license) here. I don't know all of this by heart, but the normal GPL requires the release of sources whether its been linked or not. The LGPL allows you to link to libraries without having to release the code that links to it.

'Course I haven't paid much attention to the technicalities in this area, so I could be way off.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

JDiner,

GNU has a handy faq on issues relating to the GPL here:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

In particular, check out:
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL
    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....ereAggregation

I know you see it as your code that you shouldn't have to share, but another way to look at it is that you were able to save a lot of time and coding effort by using someone else's code, it seems like a double standard to expect to be able to use someone else's code to make your life easier, but not release your code to return the favor..

Alright I don't want this to turn into another flamefest about opensource and liscencing and what not. I wanted some information and I got what I needed to get started.

So please consider the matter closed in this thread.

--jdiner

Speaking of closing, this thread is getting pretty long now....
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?