Thread: Upgrade HD with Norton Ghost?

Question Upgrade HD with Norton Ghost?

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade the HD using Norton Ghost? What file system does the Xbox use?

I know Ghost can copy the drive without a problem. But can it resize the various partitions correctly?

Mofo

I could be wrong but I believe the OS is based on Win2k. If you can ghost the disk, it won't hurt to try.

I havent even looked into upgrading my HD yet, but first thing i would go would be xbox-scene.com to see what is available. The second thing i would do is place the old HD on a shelf just in case there is a problem with the new HD having a compatibility problems down the road....

SD

No, you dont need/want to use norton ghost. read the tutorials at xbox-scene.com for http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-install.php. The xbox uses a FS based on fat32 called 'fatx'. it's not fat16/fat12/fat32, however and is not compatible with software which is specific to FS types (such as ghost).

Upgrading a hdd is as simple as:

1) ftp to xbox w/ original hdd, back up its contents via ftp (200mb, maybe)

2) install new hdd, format it using procedure on above url (send raw ftp commands)

3) ftp the stuff back.

The http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/hdd-install.php says it's for evox 1.8.4xx, but this is my preferred method as it will actually teach you what's going on.

There is another tutorial that allows you to use a super-dummied install disc to do it all magically, but I'll let you find that yourself.

--falz

Holy shit, did I just reply to a 3 month old thread? wow, I must be bored. It's kinda hard to see the date of the thread where it's currently located.

Or just get Slayers Auto Installer.

You did reply to a 3mo old post, but it defiantely helped me out.

Thanks,

Jacob

I've been looking for a way to clone a drive, too. I'm hacking my friend's box and it would be a lot easier to copy my xbox's 120gb to his new 120gb. Time consuming to drag it over the network.

Use Avalaunch

Install Avalaunch onto box Xboxes. Enable boost mode with FTP. FTP directly from one to the other using Avalaunch. Fastest way that I've found. will still take a couple of hours, but still better than any other method.