Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CMD LINE program will create MPEG2 files from raw TyStreams (or M2V/M2A files)?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Which CMD LINE program will create MPEG2 files from raw TyStreams (or M2V/M2A files)?

I am successfully extracting shows from my SA series 1 Tivo using TyTool5 and can get either the raw TyStream or M2V/M2A files.

I am now looking for a good COMMAND LINE program running on Windows that can create MPEG2 files either from the raw tystreams or from the splitted M2V/M2A files. I will be viewing these MPEG2 files straight from the PC, so I don't care about getting them in DVD or SVCD format.

I can already use the TyConvert GUI to create MPEG2 files from the TyStream, but I would have to do this one file at a time. I would really like to automate this procedure so that I can convert a bunch of TyStreams overnight without having to manually convert each one ... that is why I am looking for a BATCH tool.

I also read about the ty2mpeg program, but that seems to run only on Unix. I need a Windows equivalent of this.

Anyone know of a good program that'll do this ?

check out VirtualDub. I think it will do the conversion you want to do and even though it is not command line, it has a scheduler than you can queue up a bunch of tasks and then leave it to process.
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

THANKS !

Much thanks, zabs

I'l try VirtualDub right away !

Originally posted by zabs
    check out VirtualDub. I think it will do the conversion you want to do and even though it is not command line, it has a scheduler than you can queue up a bunch of tasks and then leave it to process.
    VirtualDub doesn't have native support for MPEG-2 nor is it a command line program.

What you seem to want is a way to multiplex. Go get TMPGEnc and try the MPEG tools. Alternately, use a search engine to find a free MPEG-2 multiplexing utility or check an A/V site.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

or wait with bated breath until jdiner gets the muxing features integrated into vsplit...

-- digitalAir

1 DSR6000R (35 hour) currently running Xtreme 3.1 and tivonet

Originally posted by digitalAir
    or wait with bated breath until jdiner gets the muxing features integrated into vsplit...

That's exactly what I have been waiting for ... but until that becomes a reality I need an interim method to back up the whole slew of Seinfield episodes to give my Tivo a little breating room

I noticed the VirtualDub issues Fred mentioned, but wasn't sure if it is the program or my lack of familiarity with it.

mplex is a command line muxer. People have complained that it doesn't work to well on DTivo streams tho. Do a search for mplex, and look for the windows port.

-lloyd-

Hey, what about this "mplex" program I keep reading about ?

It appears that this tool allows multiplexing m2v and m2a streams into a single MPEG stream, but I am not sure if it is capable of creating a MPEG-2 stream or it can create only MPEG-1 streams.

I am trying to find out more about this, but if anyone has any more info about this program, I would very much appreciate a pointer.

Ideally I am looking for some tool that'll give me an MPEG-2 stream straight from the TyStream, but even if I have to go the way of tystream-->elementary-streams-->Multiplexed-MPEG-2 ... I'll be happy !
    Last edited by psxjunky; 11-21-2002 at 06:00 PM.

Originally posted by psxjunky
    Hey, what about this "mplex" program I keep reading about ?

It appears that this tool allows multiplexing m2v and m2a streams into a single MPEG stream, but I am not sure if it is capable of creating a MPEG-2 stream or it can create only MPEG-1 streams.
    m2v is mpeg-2
    m1v is mpeg-1

DirecTV is not MPEG-2 so there are a lot of things that need to be done to clean up those streams. SA Tivos should be far more compliant.
    Last edited by FredThompson; 11-21-2002 at 07:33 PM.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch

Originally posted by FredThompson
    m2v is mpeg-2
    m1v is mpeg-1

DirecTV is not MPEG-2 so there are a lot of things that need to be done to clean up those streams. SA Tivos should be far more compliant.
    Ahh ... silly me That makes sense.

I have an SA TiVo ... so I am saved on that ground.

Now only if someone could tell me where to find the Windows port of mplex I'd be all set.

Google tells me I should find it at
    http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net ... but either I am blind or it is not there

Anyone knows where to get the Windows version ?

I don't think there's an "official" windows version, but try

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloa...o/for_windows/

It may or may not need cygwin, it's honestly been a really long time since I've tried to use mplex on win32, I usually just do it on a freebsd machine.

Cygwin's at cygwin.com if it's required. You probably only need the dll and not the full package, but I don't have it laying around, so poke around that site.

Originally posted by FredThompson
    m2v is mpeg-2
    m1v is mpeg-1

Ahhh, no...

DirecTV IS mpeg2... It's just a slightly misbehaved mpeg2...

Mainly because of the variable frame rate, but mpeg2 none-the-less...

Most of the multiplexers seem to get confused with the variable frame rates...
    -- digitalAir

DA,

In a strict constructionist sense since MPEG-2 doesn't allow for VFR and DTV is VFR couldn't one make a case that DTV isn't MPEG-2? Sorry, couldn't help myself...

Skorous

Originally posted by Kythorn
    I don't think there's an "official" windows version, but try

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloa...o/for_windows/

It may or may not need cygwin, it's honestly been a really long time since I've tried to use mplex on win32, I usually just do it on a freebsd machine.

Cygwin's at cygwin.com if it's required. You probably only need the dll and not the full package, but I don't have it laying around, so poke around that site.

Well, thank you very much sir

I am feeling slightly better now for not being able to find the Win32 version

to say that it doesn't "allow for it" would be too strong of a statement... more like "didn't expect it"

if the standards didn't allow for it then the mpeg decoder chips in our dtv ird's and our dvd players would refuse to play the streams.

either way, each frame and each gop are still encoded using an mpeg2 algorithm.
    -- digitalAir