Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing and using turbo air net?

Question Installing and using turbo air net?

I have installed 25Xtreme and the Kraven update. I have not messed around with any of the capabilities of Kraven's update.

I would like to get my Air Net card working. (Not sure if this is the right time to install it.)

Do I use any of the hacks in Kraven's update or do I follow the directions from the 9th Tee??? Please feel free to elaborate.

Thanks,

jwmghf
    Last edited by jwmghf; 11-26-2002 at 06:06 PM.
    I'm not stealing, I'm just picking up the junk in my backyard.

I have not yet installed my card yet either, that will be done tonight or tomorrow night, so I'll go on theoretical knowledge.

Kravens installs the necesary neworking module(s) and edits your rc.sysinit and adds the lines necesary for configuration of the turbonet/airnet card. The only thing you should have to do is configure it to your tastes in the rc.sysinit file, shutdown the tivo, install the card, and reboot.

I think that is all there is to it. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken.
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

Hi Zabs:

What is the purpose of this card???
    I bought it because I was told it makes life much easier when talking to the Tivo unit.

Is it supposed to give me the bash prompt in Tera Term from a remote computer (it would be the one I'm using as I type this)???

Thanks,

jwmghf

You have to let me know how you make out with yours so that I can follow your steps!!!

Well, with a network connection you can telnet in to get your bash prompt (rather than use the serial connection for bash.) The network connection is several times faster than the serial connection could ever be. It makes extraction a feasible option, but also opens up things live TivoWeb and some other neat stuff.
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

I've started reading about it. Let me know how your set-up goes and I'll keep you up to date with mine. It sounds cool.

Have a great Turkey Day!!!

jwmghf

Hey Zabs:

How did you make out with the Turbo Air Net install??? Have you attempted it yet?? I haven't had time to get to mine yet. I'm just wondering if it was easy or not.

Talk to you soon,

jwmghf

I've been using turbo airnet for about a month now with few difficulties. It installed smoothly, but did require deinstall of the Tivo "A" disk to get the software on there. I used the software from SiliconDust.com site. Only thing that I've come across is that I need to rerun nic_install to reset the IP address from static to DHCP, but that doesn't exist on the Tivo, so I have to wait for a compelling reason for me to disassemble the Tivo again, then I'll rerun the setup.

Oh yea, the other issue was that the Tivo is running with no cover on it because it is too heavily shielded and severely degrades (pretty much total blockage) the network signal. I made a make-shift cover out of paper and tape to keep the dust bunnies out.

It's a worthwhile upgrade for sure, painless to install (so long as you're OK with ripping the drives out and doing all of that stuff...but then again, you wouldn't have embarked on hacking the Tivo if you weren't, right? :-) )

white2833

but did require deinstall of the Tivo "A" disk to get the software on there.
    Did you have to re-install 25xtreme on Tivo "A" drive or do you mean you had to remove the drive to physically put the Turbo Air Net in the Tivo unit???

Were the instructions from SiliconDust.com site easy enough to follow??

If you cut a hole in the cover of the tivo unit and let the little antenna stick out of the top you might be able to put the cover back on it. (I have the Zoom Air model 4105.)

Thanks,

jwmghf

Deinstall the A drive from DTivo and put it in my PC, boot from the Airnet boot CD, install the drivers, put the A drive back into DTivo, install the 802.11b card in the Tivo, and I was networking...

Directions were correct first time through, but I did have problems getting MFStools to backup my existing A drive (I gambled and did not backup, and paid off).

True, cutting holes might work, but the metal is quite heavy and it would likely look like crap if I did it. Besides, the box runs cooler now with my make-shift cover!

Lance

white2833:

Sounds cool. I'll give mine a shot tomorrow and I'll let you know if I'm networking as well!!!

Is the software CD the one that came with the Zoom Air wireless card or did you have to download the software from the website???

jwmghf
    Last edited by jwmghf; 12-05-2002 at 05:30 PM.

Folks,

Watch out for wireless devices that run on the 2Ghz band such as cordless phones. It will cause the airnet card to lose connection and you will go nuts trying to find out why.

John

Is this true??? That's what I use. Please tell me it only happens on rare occasions. Just humor me for Pete's sake!!!!

jwmghf

802.11b (Wi-Fi) runs in the same 2.4GHz range as the newer wireless phones. (Older 900MHz don't cause a problem, but are less secure and shorter range.)

802.11a Runs on 5GHz range, so no interference with phones, higher speends, but more expensive, not backward compatible with 802.11b.

maybe a stupid question but... What if when the phone rings I just don't answer it until a command I executed is complete. That should avoid any problem, right?

Thanks,

jwmghf

if i have A and B drives, do I need to physically install both to my computer when I install the software? Or is A drive alone good enuf in this situation?