Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Best DVD type burner...

POLL: Best DVD type burner...

Ok. Lots of choices are out there for DVD burners. Sony DRU 500a comes to mind (lots of compatility), Pioneer, etc. I know some variation of this post has been done before, but I wanted a handy and updated version.

With respect to archiving (and playing) Tivo extracted ty streams: what is the best choice out there. Disregarding price (I know it's always a factor but...) and availability (.i.e., sony 500a is on backorder).

Also, which format is the format of preference when burning.

Thanks for any and all input

Format preference is more of a personal one as well as what is compatible with your set top DVD player. The industry seems to be pushing for DVD+R/+RW over the DVD-R/-RW format. I'm not all that familiar with the differences between the formats but I'm sure a search of the web will turn up whatever info you need. There aren't that many different choices for DVD burners but the numbers are steadily growing. There was a time when the Pioneer burner was your only choice. Now there are several other models to choose from and the manufacturer's are all taking different sides as to which format they want to support. From what I've seen, the DVD-R/-RW burners and media are less expensive than their +R/+RW counterparts, which makes them a clearcut winner in my mind, at least for the moment. The Sony DRU-500A looks like a clear winner because it supports both formats, making it one of the most flexible drives available. Retail price is $349 and it's not discounted very much, if at all. They're selling for more than retail on ebay (no big surprise there). The Pioneer burners are selling for $250 or less and are a proven commodity as they have been around the longest. I still have an A03 and I love it. It may be slower than the newer models but I've never burned a coaster with it. Based on my experience with CD burners over the years (I started burning CDs with an old Sony CDU-924S caddy-load SCSI burner about 6 or 7 years ago), stick with the brand name models. Stay away from the Hi-Vals and other off-brands and you'll be OK. These brands are most likely built by the major manufacturers and relabeled for sale under a different name but you never know.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Philips DVDRW228

I got my Philips DVDRW228 about 2 months ago. I loved it. I burnt over 40 DVDs (Memorx DVD+r & DVD+rw) and have yet to create one coaster. This drive cost about $320 at Circuit City. I initially order the Sony DRU500 for $280 but Dell kept lagging on the shipment so I canceled it.

I really don't care too much about it's DVD-R/-RW writability. From what I read +r/+rw has beter compatibility with standalone DVDrs and writes faster (2.4x compared to 2x/1x). I tested it out with 8 DVD standalone players. 7 played dvd+r fine. 1, however, played +rw (but that's ok; i'm not going to spend upwards of 1 hr to create a DVD and then erase the Dvd+rw). The one that couldn't play the +r was a first generation Toshiba that couldn't even play CDrs.

Tivo SA extracts worked flawlessly on the standalones that could play DVD+R. I had to modify the resolution (720x480) with Tivoweb and I use Tytool to extract and split). Used maestro to create vobs and burned with the latest Nero. I didn't care too much for the software package that came with Philips DVDRW228 (limited Nero, Sonic's MyDVD,etc).

Hope this helps,

-GoldenRod

As you said, lot of choices, so it depends entirely in your needs.

Do you care about burning speed? 1x, 2x, 2.4x, 4x
    Do you care about media price? <$1 $1 >$1
    Do you care about burner price? $200 $250 $300 $350

And then you decide, buy the burner and some discs and your DVD player can't read the format that you want (RW for tests), so you end changing your player with your sister's

I like speed for tests in RW 2x or more
    I like price for media -R at 1x for less than $1

So it all depends in what you want.

Sony 500 or Pioneer A05 depending on whether you want +R/+RW support or not.
    SVR 2000 running 3.0 with 1x160Gb and Lifetime Sub
    SAT-T60 running 3.1 with 1x250Gb and Turbonet over 802.11

In my mind, you have to go with DVD-R/RW, and for that there is really only one choice - a Pioneer A04/A05 (I personally have an A03, and am very pleased).

Now, you're going to say "He owns one, so his decision is biased". Oh contrar (sp). I based my original purchase on some careful thought and I also watched history develop itself again - anyone remember the VHS/Beta debacle?

The lesson learned here is that it is irrelevant what is Marginally better (in the case of Beta, it was at least 50% better with regards to quality compared to VHS). What dictates market capture is Total Cost (meaning, the price of the burner AND the price of the media). Right now, you can have yourself a Pioneer A05 for $269 (includes shipping) from www.avlogic.com (here's the link:

http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=11121755

and you can get top notch white-top printable media from www.supermediastore.com for $0.69 each (in fact, they have a great deal to get 100 DVD's with DVD Cases and free shipping for $103, which is not bad at all folks). Here's the link to that deal:

http://www.supermediastore.com/greatcom47dv.html

You'll hear tons of arguements that DVD-R's are not as accepted as DVD+R's (and just as many arguements to the contrary, depending on who you listen to) but in reality they're both about the same, and if you've got a DVD player made in the last 2 years odds are you're golden. If you are unsure, go to www.vcdhelp.com and look it up - it's a great resource.

Given the above information, I have to then look at the media price - DVD-R's for roughly $0.70 each, vs. DVD+R's for roughly $1.79 each (although I hear that you can get some lower-quality blanks for as low as $1.35, just can't remember the vendor).

With DVD-R media prices falling like a stone, I can't see a viable argument to support the DVD+R camp. Heck, even Sony, who was a key supporter of DVD+R, has folded and offered the 500a whose key selling point is dual compatibility. Why offer this drive if they felt that DVD+R/RW was the future?

My opinion, which is based on simple economics, is go with a DVD-R/RW. Unless something changes soon and DVD+R media drops to $0.30 in the VERY NEAR FUTURE you'll see DVD-R become the defacto standard within 1 year's time.
    Last edited by Wooly; 12-03-2002 at 06:49 PM.

Originally posted by Wooly
    I based my original purchase on some careful thought and I also watched history develop itself again - anyone remember the VHS/Beta debacle?

The lesson learned here is that it is irrelevant what is Marginally better (in the case of Beta, it was at least 50% better with regards to quality compared to VHS).
    Beta actually started off with 1 hour tapes as compared to VHS with 2 hour tapes, and the original Betamax could not record as they were afraid of copywrite problems. So VHS actually had better features in the beginning which is a big reason Beta lost the battle.
    As with DVD+R and DVD-R, better features are in the +R recorders, but because -R was released first the media/drive prices are cheaper.

I would definately go with the +/- Sony drive as you get the best of both worlds where you can buy cheap media now, and if the price of + media drops you can buy the cheap media and use the better format.

Question DRU-500A replacement, the DW-U10A?

Supermedia store is advertising pre-orders of a DW-U10A drive that is "the replacement of the DRU500A".

Cannot find much info about this "new drive", sounds like its the DRU500A with the newer firmware that increases the drive burning rate.

Here's the link:
    http://store.yahoo.com/supermediastore/dru500a.html

Sony DW-U10A replacement of DRU500A DVD Burner, DVD+R/RW/-R/RW/CD-R/RW Drive (Recorder)

Pre Order Product will be available by Next Week.

This is the First 4X DVD+R & 4X DVD-R Burner.

Sony DW-U10A the Replacement of DRU500A DVD Burner DVD+R/RW/-R/RW/CD-R/RW Drive (Recorder)

Overview
    Sony takes the risk out of buying a DVD recorder by bringing all the popular formats into a single drive. The amazing new DW-U10A Replacement of DRU-500A burns DVD-R/-RW, DVD+RW/+R, and even CD-R/CD-RW discs.

wolkowh Guest

Risk with - Media?

Hi there,
    I've burned over 750 DVD-Rs with about 100 coasters in the process (Many are my fault like not hitting "Get VTS Sectors" in IFO Edit or trying to burn, extract, author, and write a document in MS Word at the same time) All I can say is if the + media becomes the future standard, the $ I have saved (over $1.00 per disc) burning the - media will let me buy a + drive and still have over $500 left in my pocket.
    Howard

Let's stay on topic here, not go down the Beta/VHS trail. The question was asked regarding formats, and indirectly, compatibility. I covered all my bases with a Sony DRU500a. Why, I wanted to test for myself what will/won't work in various players. I also plan to use RW disks for some occasional backup tasks.

I fully expect that when/if a clear winner appears in the format wars, I'll be ready for a 16x or faster burner anyway.

I went thru the same process not to long ago. I decided on the Pioneer A04. Now the A05 is out and at about the same price I paid for mine. The sony was out then, but none of the players I have support + media.

I have found that media plays big part in compatiblitly with some players. I have 4 players, JVC ???, Apex 1200, Sony PS2 and a portable. Some media plays fine in all of them. Some with play in the JVC, Apex, but not in the PS2 or portable. Others play in the Apex, PS2, but not the JVC or portable. One that I can no longer find plays on all if recorded @ 1x, but in all @ 2x. I have some that play fine in my Apex, but not in my co-workers.

Still trying to find the magic media that is cheap and plays everywhere.

Old7

I know OP said price wasn't a factor but for others: Office Max has been selling the Cendyne for $170 A/R. They ran this special on Black Friday and again last week. The model varies by store, I got a 105 (4X Pioneer).

Great deal.

The Sony is more expensive and basically unavailable.
    Last edited by newbie; 01-08-2003 at 03:05 PM.

One of my big concerns in buying a DVD burner is compatibility with my PS2. Which works better in a PS2, DVD-R or DVD+R media? If the answer is DVD+R, then I'll get a Sony 500A, if DVD-R works better, then I'll get the cheaper Pioneer A05.

thanks

DITTO!

Originally posted by newbie
    I know OP said price wasn't a factor but for others: Office Max has been selling the Cendyne for $170 A/R. They ran this special on Black Friday and again last week. The model varies by store, I got a 105 (4X Pioneer).

Great deal.

The Sony is more expensive and basically unavailable.
    just want o add a meto to office max selling the rebranded a05's for $170.

The flyier always says (models may vary) but everyone i have read has always gotten an a05. I suppose some store in the middle of no-where might have an older version in stock so thats why they have that disclaimer (I dont exactly leave in metropolis so i think most must have the newer stock).

For those who dont know- the a05 cydyne box says 4x in a big graphic so you can spot it quickly.

edit...

Wanted to add also that barring a -r or +r not working with your paritcular player, that price is a significant factor in my mind. From what i read on other boards all these drives will be outdated in a year or 2 anyhow when the next gerneation blue ray stuff comes out anyway. Supposedly they will be recordable out of the box. So if i'm gonna buy obsolete stuff i prefer it to be cheap (assuming it can get the job done in the mean time). If you get the a05 for $169 you can afford to get a player that reads the -r's with the savings (my OLD dvd player couldnt even read a cd so i needed to buy a new one anyhow)

Last edited by michaelk; 01-09-2003 at 01:54 PM.

Re: DITTO!

Originally posted by michaelk
    From what i read on other boards all these drives will be outdated in a year or 2 anyhow when the next gerneation blue ray stuff comes out anyway. Supposedly they will be recordable out of the box.
    There will always be something better if you want to wait, but I strongly doubt you'll see "affordable" blue laser-based drives in 1-2 years.