Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: tyremux a GPLed TyStream demuxer and to be remuxer

tyremux a GPLed TyStream demuxer and to be remuxer

tydemux/demux - the future and present

Demuxing, transcoding and remuxing and external muxing

This is to be a place where we can all trade ideas, discuss the tydemux code base (and the up comming tyremux) and MPEG coding in general. It's GPLed application so you are all welcomed to partisipate/develop or just look at the code in general. Let it inspire so that ideas, code and every thing flows freely.

NOTE: There is however some rules for this thread. The rules are for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

The rules for this thread:

1- Leave the flames and arguments elsewhere... Again I am interested in getting things working better and moving forward

2- While we discuss any tools dealing with mux'ing or viewing or editing MPEG2 files or TyStreams... but lets keep the focus on tydemux/remux and things that are that are built for TiVo.

3- No discussion of extraction. This thread is about demuxing, remuxing, transcoding and external muxing of Tivo TyStreams files to MPEG-2.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS wishes/desires. At some point we should support all of them or at least as many as is possible. However be moderate and if you can code please help out - download the source code and send patches.

5- It's a technical/coding and to some extent usage thread - hence if you want to just talk in general think twice before posting.

6- Don't post applications without the source, this thread is following the Open Source guide lines.

Cheers Olaf
    Last edited by olaf_sc; 12-04-2002 at 04:56 AM.

Tydemux 0.3.0

LATEST VERSION IS 0.4.2

Get it here.

It's time for a new release of tydemux - I hope you will find it useful!

It's a nearly complete rewrite and it should be much more robust now. It also has a lot more functionality that I think you will find very handy.

The current features of tydemux is:
    ---------------------------------------
    • Extraction of video and audio (both MPEG and AC3/a52) from all Tivo types made - SA Tivo Series 1, SA TIVO Series 2, DTivo Series 1 and UK Tivo - using software revision 1.3 and up. NOTE: DTivo Series 2 should in principle be supported but I have not yet be able to obtain a TyStream from it.
    • Tivo Type/Series probe you don't need to worry about what type your TyStream is. tydemux will detect it and use the right engine to demux the audio and video.
    • Audio probe, you don't need to worry about what type of audio a recordings has. tydemux will probe the whole TyStream, determine audio type and skip to the first chunk that has that type of audio.
    • TyStream will repair the TyStream if it detects holes/gaps in the TyStream. Up on detection of a hole/gap tydemux it will align video and audio in such way that there is no or very ittle loss of sync. Further more tydemux will fix the start and end of the hole/gap in such way that Video and Audio doesn't deteriorate in quality.
    • tydemux is minimizing the Audio/Video sync offset. At the end of the execution it will tell you the offset in milli seconds.

The tydemux_W_0.3.0.zip holds Windows binaries and sources/project files from MS Visual Studio 6.x.

The tydemux_L_0.3.0.zip holds Linux_x86 binaries and source/make files for gcc.

While both has the exact same codebase I still think it's easier to post to different packages.

NOTE: I'm using the latest as in CVS version of mplex from mjpeg-tools as a reference muxer for my streams.

Mplayer is my std mpeg video and mpeg program stream player. While I use mpg123 as reference player for mpeg audio files and a52dec as reference player for ac3 audio files.

Cheers Olaf
    Last edited by olaf_sc; 01-20-2003 at 11:59 PM.

Linux binaries and sources

Docs

To make this thread as useful as possible we need documentation. Hence I have gatherered some docs that I hope you will find useful. It's MPEG, AC3 and TyStream documentation. The latter one is a write in progress by me in StarOffice and Word format. It's currently describing the TyStream syntax.

tystream.zip == tystream docs
    mpeg-1.zip == MPEG-1 part 1, 2 and 3
    mpeg-2.zip == MPEG-2 part , 2, 3 and 4
    a52.zip == AC3 specs

MPEG-1 part 1, 2 and 3

MPEG-2 part 1, 2, 3 and 4

AC3 specs

I've tried your Windows Binary with a ty stream extracted from a UK SA TiVo.

With a 2.5gb stream I get the error as soon as I run the commandline - 'TyStream is to small to demux We need at least 40 chunks'

With a 400mb stream the process gets so far as to start the demux process but then crashes with a Windows GPF
    Last edited by racingclub; 12-04-2002 at 08:07 AM.

Hello

Originally posted by racingclub
    I've tried your Windows Binary with a ty stream extracted from a UK SA TiVo.

With a 2.5gb stream I get the error as soon as I run the commandline - 'TyStream is to small to demux We need at least 40 chunks'
    tydemux doesn't yet support filesizes over 2GB, it's pretty trivial but I thought we better get it working 100% before we enable it.

With a 400mb stream the process gets so far as to start the demux process but then crashes with a Windows GPF
    It would be really nice if you could upload this stream to my ftp server.
    ftp://66.121.15.34/UK/ so I can see why it makes tydemux crash.

I have been testing a lot of streams but the fact is that I only have a few very small UK streams.

Cheers Olof

Very encouraging...

I tried this quickly on a 340Mb ty this a.m. and while I only did a demux, both the audio and the video seemed to play OK separately. My Win Media Player crashed right away on the video, but maybe I have an old version (7.01). But it appeared to play fine w/CyberDVD though there was a strange loop it went into at the end (it didn't just stop playing, it looped around the last few frames continuously).

Anyway I will play some more as it worked pretty well for me at least on the surface.

US SA Tivo v3.0

I will upload a file to your ftp site if you want one this big? It's a 1/2 hour program.
    Philips Standalone v3.01 w/2-80G drives and Tivonet.

Re: Very encouraging...

Hello

Thanks for your reply, please go a head and upload it to ftp://66.121.15.34/SA_3x/ so I can see what is going wrong. It might be a Windows only error. I'm doing more or less every thing under Linux so I need bug testing under Windows.

Anyways I will try to solve this problem and the one with the UK stream as quickly as possible.

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by laserfan
    I tried this quickly on a 340Mb ty this a.m. and while I only did a demux, both the audio and the video seemed to play OK separately. My Win Media Player crashed right away on the video, but maybe I have an old version (7.01). But it appeared to play fine w/CyberDVD though there was a strange loop it went into at the end (it didn't just stop playing, it looped around the last few frames continuously).

Anyway I will play some more as it worked pretty well for me at least on the surface.

US SA Tivo v3.0

I will upload a file to your ftp site if you want one this big? It's a 1/2 hour program.

Olaf_SC: I would like to see converting an mpeg file to a tystream in the far future todo list, as this would be the other step necessary to be able to put whatever you want into your tivo.

Of course there would probably need to be a better understanding of tystream files first, so this would probably be a post 1.0 feature
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

It would be really nice if you could upload this stream to my ftp server.
    OK Olof - am uploading 'm.ty' to your UK dir

If I can be of help by providing more UK streams then I will more than happy to up them to you.

Keep up the great work!
    Last edited by racingclub; 12-04-2002 at 12:26 PM.

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback - the main problem coverting a mpeg to a TyStream is that we don't have all the data about the master chunk (Chunk 0) and that we don't understand the all of the data present in the record header.

If you have any further knowledge about the subject I very much welcome you to edit the TyStream document - it's currently doesn't cover the master chunk.

Cheers Olaf

PS: Yes, if I get the knowledge needed I will definitly implement it

Originally posted by AlphaWolf
    Olaf_SC: I would like to see converting an mpeg file to a tystream in the far future todo list, as this would be the other step necessary to be able to put whatever you want into your tivo.

Of course there would probably need to be a better understanding of tystream files first, so this would probably be a post 1.0 feature

Hello

Thanks and YES, please - I definitly need more UK streams!! Please go a head and upload the once you have or create new once .

There is currently 19GB of free space in the ftp area so I don't think we will run out of space at once .

Cheers Olaf

Originally posted by racingclub
    OK Olof - am uploading 'm.ty' to your UK dir

If I can be of help by providing more UK streams then I will more than happy to up them to you.

Keep up the great work!