Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AVI/MPEG/VOB upload to TiVo - is it possible to generate ty from MPG?

insert vob into tivo

is there a way to put video on a tivo and watch it? i.e. extract a vob from a dvd and then upload that to my tivo?

Question AVI/MPEG file upload to TiVo

Is it possible to convert an AVI or MPEG file to a .ty file that can be uploaded back to the TiVo?
    Dan Hinsley

Simple answer: NO
    More complicated answer: it is possible to make a stream that will work in pre 2.0 software, but AFAIK its not possible beyond that.

29 allmost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades...

tivos through 2.x included a utility called ele2pestriple. ele2pestriple muxes elemental mpg audio & video into ty that'll plays on tivos with 2.x sw & up (ele2pestiple doesn't run under 3.x tivo sw, but the ty it produces work fine there)
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

I've tried running this on a DirecTivo with 2.5.2 software, but all it ever manages to do is reboot the system. I too would like to create ty streams out of mpeg2 files for playback on the Tivo.

/tvlib/tcl/tv/file-to-recording.tcl

shows you how to use ele2pestriple
    ---
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer

Is it possible to generate ty+ from MPG?

I'm successfuly sing mfs_ftp to extract ty+ files to my PC and subsequently convert these to standard .mpg files.

I have a number of VCD's and SVCD's which I'd like to move onto my TiVo so is it possible to go the other way and generate ty+ from .mpg?

no. i'm kindof working on a program to do this but i'm learning about ty files

Quote Originally Posted by lart2150
    no. i'm kindof working on a program to do this but i'm learning about ty files
    Any word on this? I've also checked out /tvlib/tcl/tv/file-to-recording.tcl, but it never accepts what I give to it - the problem is getting the right kind of files into MFS I assume. (I'm using ver. 3 on a S1 SA Sony).

So - we know what comprises a ty file, what else do we need to generate these from existing m2v and m2a files?

-Craig
    Last edited by udecker; 01-10-2004 at 10:55 PM.

what happned is I learned that i'm not good at learing from code. there were some people that pointed me in the direction to go but it was to much to learn over winter brake (all of december).

Can I create a tystream from an MPG yet?

I'm sure someones covered this, but the search feature here is so awful Obvious need - to be able to put downloaded SVCD's straight onto the Tivo.

stonk

Quote Originally Posted by stonkus
    I'm sure someones covered this, but the search feature here is so awful Obvious need - to be able to put downloaded SVCD's straight onto the Tivo.

stonk
    Why would you want to do that? SVCD is about as good a VHS you ar better off just watching it from the SVCD -- seems like a complete waste of time working on something that goes back in time as far a quality and functionallity goes. Buy a $35 wal-mart player and watch the SVCD that way -- Most people here are trying to get stuff OFF their TiVos to watch at a later time, not the other way around.
    ~Hi8

(4) Hughes SD DVR40
    (1) Hughes HR10-250
    (2) xbmc XBOX X2 & xbit

Quote Originally Posted by Hi8
    Why would you want to do that? SVCD is about as good a VHS you ar better off just watching it from the SVCD -- seems like a complete waste of time working on something that goes back in time as far a quality and functionallity goes. Buy a $35 wal-mart player and watch the SVCD that way -- Most people here are trying to get stuff OFF their TiVos to watch at a later time, not the other way around.
    I fully agree on the quality, but the need arises when you have kids and their videos. It's pretty easy to convert VHS tapes, etc to low-res, small MPG files, but the CDs have a tendency to scratch when left on the floor and stepped on. Besides, having them in the Tivo where you don't have to rewind, look for the right CD at the wrong time, etc is definitely worth it. Too bad it cannot be done.

or maybe we really want to put those digital videos we took of our honeymoon on the tivo for easy access

Quote Originally Posted by erhan
    ... but the CDs have a tendency to scratch when left on the floor and stepped on.
    Okay. I can see that the top Tivo developers need to stop all other work and concentrate on inserting cheesy AVIs and MPGs into a Tivo so you can stop ruining your CDs and DVDs by walking on them. Obviously, this is the only solution.