Thread: WMV to MPG

WMV to MPG

Is it possible to convert wmv to mpg?

Blaze Media Pro makes it extremely easy...

WOW!

Blaze Media Pro can't convert any of my .wmv files. I'd like to thank the people of Blaze for wasting one hour converting my first .wmv file BEFORE telling my "unexpected error to AVI". Wonderful.

If there's a problem with the file, why the H3LL spend an entire hour converting the file before determining that, in fact, the file exceeds your capabilities.

Smaller file

Well, I tried converting the smallest wmv. Here are my results:

1. tried converting to MPEG1 (standard). Conversion completed in less than one second. There was no output file produced.

2. I simply pressed convert again without changing anything. This time, the conversion took 3:18. There was no output file produced.

3. I changed the output type to MPEG2 (standard m2v). The conversion took 2:45 than froze with 2 seconds left. There was no output file produced. There was no error reported until I attempted to close the conversion window. At that time, Blaze gave me "Extended Error Information: Unsupported souce AVI codec or incompatible AVI settings".

When using Blaze, you'd sort of expect to at least see some sort of output. For all of the tests I've performed, there was never any evidence at all that any files were being produced. I would check in Windows Explorer during and after each conversion an there was never ever a single solitary file produced in the output folder.

Dude, what are you using Blaze to do ... convert files into thin air?

Re: Smaller file

Originally posted by jaja
    Well, I tried converting the smallest wmv. Here are my results:

1. tried converting to MPEG1 (standard). Conversion completed in less than one second. There was no output file produced.

2. I simply pressed convert again without changing anything. This time, the conversion took 3:18. There was no output file produced.

3. I changed the output type to MPEG2 (standard m2v). The conversion took 2:45 than froze with 2 seconds left. There was no output file produced. There was no error reported until I attempted to close the conversion window. At that time, Blaze gave me "Extended Error Information: Unsupported souce AVI codec or incompatible AVI settings".

When using Blaze, you'd sort of expect to at least see some sort of output. For all of the tests I've performed, there was never any evidence at all that any files were being produced. I would check in Windows Explorer during and after each conversion an there was never ever a single solitary file produced in the output folder.

Dude, what are you using Blaze to do ... convert files into thin air?
    First of all, i am not the author of Blaze Media Pro.

Second, if you see it keeps on referring to codecs, why didn't
    you download the Nimo Codec Pack or the Ace Mega Codecs Pack
    and see if you can't figure out why it craps out?

Third, my WMV's were created with Windows Movie Maker at the
    Highest Quality settings. Then when i tried to convert the WMV
    FROM WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER (MADE BY MICROSOFT!!) The program would crash. Blaze Media Pro was the only thing i tried
    that actually did the job.

If you are gonna bitch and moan to people who actually try to
    help your sorry ass then maybe complain to people who make
    money answering your questions. So next time, call Microsoft
    and bitch about the WMV format or call the Blaze Media Pro
    Tech Support and they will be glad to help you... Assuming of
    course the error doesn't come from the CHAIR<->KEYBOARD INTERFACE.

-Pr.

My apologies...

After all my sarcasm Dr.S, I hope you understand that, in no way did I intend any of my comments to you personally.

I was really trying to communicate something we all have had problems with. When things don't go as planned or predicted time and time again, there's a certain level of frustration that builds up but there's nowhere to direct it. I have no idea who's at fault or even if there's any reason to assign blame in the first place.

Again, my apologies.

Re: My apologies...

Originally posted by jaja
    After all my sarcasm Dr.S, I hope you understand that, in no way did I intend any of my comments to you personally.

I was really trying to communicate something we all have had problems with. When things don't go as planned or predicted time and time again, there's a certain level of frustration that builds up but there's nowhere to direct it. I have no idea who's at fault or even if there's any reason to assign blame in the first place.

Again, my apologies.
    No problem... I apologize too for blowing my top... I just hate it
    when people get mad at me when i try to help. I should have
    noticed that it might have been sarcasm.

I've been in the position where i get really mad too when
    something doesn't work. That's exactly what happened when
    i was trying to edit a WMV with the M$ program that actually
    created it. I wanted to kick the computer in when M$ Movie Maker
    kept on crashing on a file it had created!!!

I downloaded 5 different conversion programs and the only
    one that worked was Blaze Media Pro. And it was a matter of
    like 5 clicks to do it. I was impressed.... and calmer...

Anyway... let's just move on...

Have you tried using any of the more expensive software
    packages out there like Adobe Premiere or Sonic Foundry Vegas
    Video or Video Factory? I haven't checked but you might be able
    to open a WMV and save as an MPEG. I know M2-Edit will open
    an MPEG and save as a WMV but not the other way around.

Check it out... you might get lucky...

-Pr.

Actually...

I found out the one of the programs I've been using for weeks, TMPGenc, can actually do most of these conversions for me.

Ya i had seen that too but when i tried it on my file,
    it said something like 28 hours to convert so i cancelled it.

Blaze did it in about 3 hours...

WMV is not Linux, DirecTV or TiVo. Go to the foums at http://www.doom9.org

Ask your question there, you'll get good help.

It's entirely possible there isn't a direct conversion depending on how you encoded. If that's the case, try CamStudio and capture your file as it plays.

Not perfect but better than nothing.
    Collecting 9/11, Afghan/Iraq, Mail Call, Trains, Cooking, Woodworking, Fighting Illini - Let's chat
    A/V links: neuron2 doom9 VideoHelp DigitalMediaNet CreativeCow DVDShrink PgcEdit Streambox WMRecorder
    other links: SnapFiles NoNags HackADay Engadget Fontleech OfflineExplorerPro TechBargains PriceWatch