Thread: So many posts, no simple answers?

So many posts, no simple answers?

I've done a lot of reading and waiting to see how things go with TiVo, but I'm getting very confused now with Series 2's.

I've like to get a series 2 with the built-in USB for networking, but I'm really unclear about what is possible and what isn't.

I don't want to get into a Dish yet, so I'd like to know what is possible with an *unsubscribed* Series 2. Can they be hacked to be usable for manual record without a subscription? What about importing guide information prepared by me and formatted to fit TiVo standards?

Thanks... There's so much information and so many forums and so many different versions of the software... most of the posts I see refer to software versions, but not hardware versions. And of course Series 1 TiVo's are only available on eBay and other auction sites.

If I were you, I'd find as good a price as I could on a series one if you're in a hurry. Otherwise do the same for series 2 and be patient.

You can bet that whatever becomes available, you will be able to find here.

As for using a DTivo without a dish, seems like a waste of a good receiver, if you have no plans of setting up for that, don't bother. Get an SA unit.

Dennis