Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be an Xtreme update?

Question Will there be an Xtreme update?

Hi. My DSR has the weekly reboot bug. I want to fix it badly and I figure that redoing my setup from scratch would be the best way.
    That being the case I'd like to know if or when a new version of Xtreme will be available. With luck one that incorporates the Kraven mods and the remote hack as well since most of us will end up doing them as a set anyhow.

Now, before some of you start saying things like "Okay!. You do it and we'll all follow you" or "Don't demand something you're given for free" let me say this: Grow up. I'm asking nicely if or when it may show. I'm not demanding anything. And trust me you *don't* want to see my coding skills.

Thanks!

Grow up.
    So it's a premptive strike?

I'm hoping it doesn't include many hacks. That way you can add them if you want.

Best to start with a basic setup, then pile the hacks on, than trying to start with a full bore setup.

But that's just my humble opinion, whatever software comes out is completely up to whomever creates it and I will be happy to have it.

It will be in the range of: "all hacks are present but you must activate each individual one that you want to use".
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Thats the safest way... At least give the poor tivo a chance before you task it out
    1Dave1

airnet

If someone does make one, it would be nice to have the airnet stuff installed as well..

Hi Darkwing. Yes, perhaps a bit preemptive. I post on other, meaner, boards. Guess I left "auto-snarl" activated. My bad.

Any idea, and I'm not going to hold you to this, when we may see Xtreme+3.0? Weeks or months?

One of my reasons for wanting the entire set and not seperates is the PITA of connecting my computer to my TiVo. If I could get it all done at one time that would be a help. Also there ae several versions of these mod files. A single integrated release would avoid version conflicts, and all the posts and emails that would result from them.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but to me PITA = fun. Lets not forget that this is a hobby, and not a FreeTV situation. Besides most hacks only require you to at a minimum use minicom or terra term to apply a hack.

Again this is not a slam just my humble opinion.

As I have said before I'm sure that sooner or later a 3.x Xtreme will come out, but the reason there is no big rush is that 3.0 doesn't provide any "gotta have'em" features or fixes (in my opinion.)

I know I'm in no hurry to upgrade to it.
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

Listen,

I have many DTivos.
    I have both 2.51 and 3.1 on different machines.

Trust me, you don't need it.

I just did it to play around. Although I had a good time, I have to say, it was uneventful.

It's not ANY different that you would ever notice. The menus are SLIGHTLY faster, there are some additional ways that you can create wishlists, play with fast forward options, and some new sorting capabilities in the Now Showing, but overall not worth the upgrade (IMHO)

It should suffice to say, all the things you could do before, you can still do with 3.1

ALL THE THINGS YOU COULD DO BEFORE ...
    Ya know what I mean?

Nothing is lost, nothing is gained.

Be comfortable with the knowledge, that if you get updated AGAINST your will, you'll be OK.

No disrespect, but all of those things you mentioned sound like features I would like/use. Are there any known negatives -- anything slower, any hacks/codes not working, etc.?

I want to get away from 2.5 because I'm one of the unlucky guys whose DRS requires a weekly reboot to function. Left to itself it locks up solid every seven or so days. I've tried all the usual suspects. No joy. I'm left with upgrade or else.

Originally posted by DarkWing
    So it's a premptive strike?

I'm hoping it doesn't include many hacks. That way you can add them if you want.

Best to start with a basic setup, then pile the hacks on, than trying to start with a full bore setup.

But that's just my humble opinion, whatever software comes out is completely up to whomever creates it and I will be happy to have it.
    Okay astrogoth. Since you asked nicely... =]

I will probably be releasing it this weekend. It will be as DW explains above. The extra hacks will be distributed as installable modules. Making modules will be documented so anyone can make them. It will be tivolater based, so you won't loose your recordings or season passes. It wil be installable by uploading through serial or ethernet and running a script or by booting from a cd on a pc with the a drive attached and running a script.

All other questions will be answered when it is released......
    Information wants to be free....

Rock on!

Originally posted by KRavEN
    Okay astrogoth. Since you asked nicely... =]

I will probably be releasing it this weekend. It will be as DW explains above. The extra hacks will be distributed as installable modules. Making modules will be documented so anyone can make them. It will be tivolater based, so you won't loose your recordings or season passes. It wil be installable by uploading through serial or ethernet and running a script or by booting from a cd on a pc with the a drive attached and running a script.

All other questions will be answered when it is released......
    Sir, you rock!

Since I'm going to start from format the CD version sounds mighty fine. THANK YOU!

Very cool Kraven. Thanx for the update. I can't wait to try it out.
    Thanx again for all the hard work!
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened