Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harddrive Size Vs. Performance

Harddrive Size Vs. Performance

I have my DSR6000 upgraded with 2 60 Gig Hard drives (7200 RPMs) installed with X-treme and Kraven's upgrades. I'm thinking about upgrading to 2 120 Gig Hard drives (7,200 RPMs). Will I see a noticable decreased performance? (with Screen Navigation, Video Extractions, etc).

-GoldenRod

I think once you get lots of shows saved and if you have lots of season passes/wishlists, you'll see slowing. More space, more stuff to slow it down more. My dual-60 DTivo has slowed way down since I got close to a full disk's worth of shows.

I only have a single 80 (2mb cache, 7200 rpm) that is chock full and the only speed hit has been in the loading of the "Now Playing" screen. The all other menus on the unit seem to function faster than the nearly empty 40 gig tivo (2mb cache, 5400 rpm.)
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

So is the speed increase enough to warrant an upgrade to the hard drive. I'm quite happy with the space I have on my stock drive, but am interested in boosting performace....

As I have said the tivo with 7200rpm drive seems to be much snappier than the tivo with the 5400rpm drive. And I am dying to get one of those 8mb cache, 7200rpm, fluid bearing (quiet) drives to try it out in the slower tivo to see if it will help (waiting for a good price on a 120gig model.)

I cannot guarantee you will see great performance increases as there is at least two variables in my specific situation:

1) I have two different tivo's (1 sony and 1 philips) and while the tivo hardware is supposed to be the same, the remotes are considerably different.
    2) The drives are made by different manufacturers and are different sizes.
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

The Maxtor 120GB drive I found at Costco of all places, less expensive than Fry's and CompUSA, was a 7200RPM and fluid bearing (but only 2MB cache). I must admit, it's pretty quiet ... hard to tell it was running when it's anywhere near my StandAlone Tivo and it's older dual 40+80GB drives

I thought the Tivo arcitecture only supported ATA/33 in any case, though cleary these newer drives can handle up to ATA/133? That being said, 7200 RPM speeds, a larger cache and sub-10ms average access times should combine to allow the drive to respond more quickly with data.

Originally posted by Austin_TX
    [BI thought the Tivo arcitecture only supported ATA/33 in any case, though cleary these newer drives can handle up to ATA/133? [/B]
    I thought the SA Tivo's were ATA/33, but the DTivo's were ATA/66. (First gen, I have no idea about the new boxes.)

Probably so, but still half the data transfer the drive is capable of.

I hope the new fluid bearings will do better in the hotter environment inside DTivo units, in addition to being quiet. In "other commercial applications" for these drives, a near 60C operating environment is highly suspect. The drives don't fail catastrophically, but the manufacturers reliability data is pretty clear regarding expected MTBF.

Probably so, but still half the data transfer the drive is capable of.

I hope the new fluid bearings will do better in the hotter environment inside DTivo units, in addition to being quiet. In "other commercial applications" for these drives, a near 60C operating environment is highly suspect. The drives don't fail catastrophically, but the manufacturers reliability data is pretty clear regarding expected MTBF.
    Man, where do you guys live, in a pizza oven? My DTivo's never get over ~45C, and most of the time they run in the high 30's. That's with stock fans, and dual drives. They do need to breath, so putting them in a cozy cabinet isn't good for them.

Really!!?? My Sony T60 with a single 7200 RPM 120GB Maxtor is sitting idle at 52C in an open environment at the moment which Tivo characterizes as "normal". A quick search in this forum shows a number of modifications to cool things down a bit for DTivo's, such as these URL's with some good ideas:

http://www.geocities.com/cooltivo/
    http://www.geocities.com/justcuzdss/DTiVoWP.htm

Also found that you posted some personal fan cooling test results on the subject:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...hlight=cooling

Seems like the concensus is that DTivo's run hotter than stand-alone Tivo's, by how much probably depends on your location (e.g. rack position) as well as what hard drives you have in the unit.

Oh ... no, I don't live in a pizza oven. Not a bad idea, could save me on the Domino's pizza delivery tips I supposed

The numbers I posted ARE for my DTivo's. And if you read what I wrote, I said the new fan was too noisy, so I went back to stock. Maybe I just keep my house colder than you, don't know.

Yes, I knew it was for DTivo ... relax. Just lots of folks solving a heat issue you implied didn't exist. And yes, I can feel the chill.

Yes, I knew it was for DTivo ... relax. Just lots of folks solving a heat issue you implied didn't exist. And yes, I can feel the chill.
    I agree it exists, there are tons of posts about it. But I find it very strange that I can cold boot a DTivo and SA next to each other, in the same room, and the SA will report itself as MUCH cooler. I also don't dispute that the boxes suck at cooling. I just wonder what the real temperature is.

Good point, never saw any posts from someone who thermocoupled the drives. Most manufacturers reference ambient/drive case specs.

Not sure if I am surprised that DTivo's are hotter in the same environment, their airflow is impeded somewhat from SA Tivo's. Also, the DirecTV architecture seems to be thermally unfriendly as most of those boxes run hot as well.

LOL ... all this discussion makes me think I should consider implementing one of the fixes discussed.

???

So what better to use.... two - 60 gig's or one 120gig???

What is the advantage of a 7200 HD?? Faster, louder,gets more hot???

Looking to upgrade, not sure to use 1 or 2 HD's and/or use 5400 vs. 7200???