Thread: Can't Get Tytools To Work

Can't Get Tytools To Work

Just installed turbonet, used install CD and used default settings (IP 192.168.1.200). It must work since I can use teraterm to telenet in.

I uploaded the 2 files (changed teraterm ini file so they would go in binary) to var hack and used chmod 777 on the files. Chmod gives no confirmation and when I type ,/tserver_mfs5r2 my bash prompt comes right back with no messages.

I must be doing wrong but I can't figure out what.

Don't transfer files in binary mode using teraterm. Use only zmodem protocol for transferring files to your Tivo. It's the only one that seems to work for this purpose. Select File|Transfer|ZMODEM|Send. Navigate to the desired file(s), select the one(s) to be transferred, and select Open. File transfer should commence once Open is selected.

Chmod gives no confirmation and when I type ,/tserver_mfs5r2 my bash prompt comes right back with no messages.
    Unless you entered a typo when posting, the beginning of the line should be "./" and not ",/" (it's a period and a slash, not a comma and a slash). You also need to be running tserver_mfs5r2 from the directory it is installed in (i.e. navigate to the directory before executing the command line).

Make sure you have all of the necessary files for running Tytool. The tytool5r2 file does not contain all of the files required to install and run Tytool5r2. Here's a link to a thread that contains an updated zip file with all of the necessary files for installing Tytool. Scoll to the post under my user name and you'll find the file for download.

http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showth...5&pagenumber=2
    Last edited by captain_video; 01-15-2003 at 10:19 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

It was a typo, (really need to use larger screen fonts) I used a period when running the file. I tried running it several times carefully checking for spaces and capitalization.

If I am reading the instructions correctly I need to send 2 files Nowshowing.tcl and tserver_mfs5.
    The files I sent were Nowshowing.tcl and tserver_mfs5r2

I went to file-transfer--and selected Zmodem. The transfer hung at 71%. I thougth Zmodem defaulted to binary but I went into the teraterm ini file and changed the mode to binary and the transfer completed.

I'll download from your post, maybe the file I downloaded was NG.

TNKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Originally posted by newbie
    The files I sent were Nowshowing.tcl and tserver_mfs5r2

Hopefully, when you installed your turbonet, you also edited sysinit.rc or /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author and added something like:

/tivo-bin/tivoftpd &

Assuming you did, ftp the files to your tivo, putting them in, say, /var/hack by executing the following in a dos window:

cd (to the directory where the files are on your pc)
    ftp 192.168.1.200
    <return>
    <return>
    cd /var/hack
    bin
    put tserver_mfs5r2
    put Nowshowing.tcl
    quit

After "chmod =x" each one, then edit your .bashrc file, adding to it the following line:

alias tytool='cd /var/hack; ./tserver_mfs5r2'

Thereafter you need only telnet in to your tivo and then execute:

tytool

to start the tyserver daemon, killing it when you're done with a Cntl-C.
    Write if you need more help.
    Last edited by artships; 01-17-2003 at 02:17 AM.

HELP!!

My original post I tried used teraterm to zmodem-telenet the 2 files. I did a search and now realize that was a no no.

I tried going back and using my serial cable. I can get a directory, delete files and edit files (using Joe). Tivo won't accept zmodem file transfers. I installed turbonet using the install CD.

WHAT DID I DO to disable Tivo's ability to accept files????

Do wrong? Well, you hosed it, is all.

Like, I can tell from here? Hey, whatever it was, don't do it again!

Seriously, what do you see when you do this on tivo:

ps x | grep ftp

If you don't see:

? SW 0:00 (tivoftpd)

Then you aren't runnng the ftp daemon ("The program that listens for ftp commands"). Here is my /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.author:

#!/bin/bash
    /bin/bash </dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login&
    /tivo-bin/tivoftpd &
    /var/hack/tivoweb-tcl/tivoweb

Activating the ftp daemon is simple. From the bash prompt, just:

/tivo-bin/tivoftpd &

HELP!!

My original post I tried used teraterm to zmodem-telenet the 2 files. I did a search and now realize that was a no no.

I tried going back and using my serial cable. I can get a directory, delete files and edit files (using Joe). Tivo won't accept zmodem file transfers. I installed turbonet using the install CD.

If you are connecting via the serial cable, zmodem transfer is the way to go. If you're using ftp, then you need an ftp client and the daemon must be running on the Tivo as artships says.

If you are running Kraven's update, it mounts the root volume as read-only. You can change that by using

mount -o remount,rw /

Got it to work. Thanks all.
    Initially I was using Turbonet-telenet-teraterm-zmodem. Don't know why zmodem with the serial cable stopped working but I downloaded wsftp-le and transferred the files with no problem.

BL--I used Joe to create a small test file and then deleted it to test for a read only partition. It was easier than doing a search for the commands.

Art the CD install for turbonet installed the ftp driver.

I was mislead by teraterm giving me the option to use telent.

BTW I even lost my bash prompt and had to reboot Tivo.

THANKS ALL.