Thread: S1 DSR6000 help

S1 DSR6000 help

I need some help with my old S1 DSR6000. For some stupid reason someone decided after 2 years to plug the phone line and run the phone test well it downloaded some update and now none of my previously recorded show will play. Way back I installed xtreme 2.5 and upgaded to TivoLater3.1. Now the version shows 3.1.0c2.01.001. I can't use termpro to connect via serial or network. I need some suggestions, I dont really want to redo the drives and loose all our shows.

You should be able to flip the bootpage so it boots back into the original partitions that contained your hacked OS and kernel. I'm not sure what version of bootpage, if any, will work on a S1 DTivo but at least it's a place to start.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

Thanks Captain Video, now how do I edit the boot page? I gather I need to remove the drives and place them into a pc and edit what?

I don't want to send you down the wrong path here since I've never used bootpage with a S1 Tivo. I hope that someone will step in and correct me if any of the following is not correct so use it at your own risk. If you're using bootpage in your PC then I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. You'll need to copy the right version of bootpage to your PC and place in the root directory of your C drive. Look in the files section or do a search to find a copy of bootpage.

If you have another drive that's the same size as your current A drive then I highly recommend you make a backup of the original and restore it to the new drive so you can test it out without affecting what you have on the existing drive. If it works then repeat the process on the original drive to retain all of your recordings.

Make sure the C drive is formatted with a FAT32 filesystem. Now shut down the PC, install your Tivo A drive as secondary master, and boot with a compatible Linux boot CD for S1 Tivos. Mount your FAT32 drive (/dev/hda) and your Tivo A drive (/dev/hdc). Switch over to the FAT32 drive using the cd command and whatever designation you gave it when you mounted it and run the bootpage command using the following syntax:

bootpage -p /dev/hdc

You should get a data string indicating which partition is currently the active boot partition (i.e., hda4 or hda7). Write down the exact data that is displayed at the prompt. Rerun the bootpage command and re-enter the data that was displayed except specify the opposite partition in the command line (e.g. if it displayed hda4 then enter hda7 or vice versa). Use the following syntax when entering the command to change the bootpage:

bootpage -P "insert the data you copied between the quotes" -C /dev/hdc

Press Enter to execute the command. Repeat the original "bootpage -p /dev/hdc" command to make sure the bootpage data now reflects the new active partition. If everything looks good then do a "cd /" to get back to the root partition and then do a "umount -f -a -r" to unmount the drives. Do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart the PC and then shut it down when the POST screen starts back up. Place the drive back in the Tivo and boot it up. If everything went well then you should be back to where you were before the update occurred.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

No reason to roll back, just hack the new software. If you look in the file section there is a script from Alarmtronics. I think it'll do what you need.

Thanks for all the help but there is one HUGE problem. I cant get access via serial or network to copy any of these scripts over to my Tivo. Xtreme2.5 and Tivolater31 do not use bootpage.

Quote Originally Posted by MoSk33t3r
    Thanks for all the help but there is one HUGE problem. I cant get access via serial or network to copy any of these scripts over to my Tivo. Xtreme2.5 and Tivolater31 do not use bootpage.
    You're missing the point, you're going to have to pull your drive, install it in a PC and boot off an mfstools or similar CD. You'll have to have a FAT32 partition on your pc hard drive or you'll have to otherwise have the files/scripts you need on a floppy, cd or create your own boot cd with the extra files.

COME TO THINK OF IT THE EASIEST SOLUTION:

Go to silicondust and get the install CD for turbonet. You'll have to pull your drive. Follow the directions. That'll get you set up with working bash. You can then put the hard drive back into your tivo and install the rest of your hacks.
    http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2
    Last edited by newbie; 09-16-2005 at 09:57 AM.

I guess it cant hurt to try the silcon dust turbonet driver install, once I get the nick up then i get everything straightened out. If I cant how should i backup my recorded shows? Use mfs tool?? And partitition sould they be on?

What should i reinstall xtreme25 and tivolater31? Or use one of the PTV lba48 iso's?

Quote Originally Posted by MoSk33t3r
    I guess it cant hurt to try the silcon dust turbonet driver install, once I get the nick up then i get everything straightened out. If I cant how should i backup my recorded shows? Use mfs tool?? And partitition sould they be on?

What should i reinstall xtreme25 and tivolater31? Or use one of the PTV lba48 iso's?
    I'm very confused, why do you want to downgrade to an earlier software version? The silicon dust installation disk will take care off the intrid and add bash. You can then telenet in and add whatever hacks you want.

I thought that would be a upgade, I guess I need to go back and read it. I think what I need to do is get the network back up so I can telnet in and then get my hacks back works and unscramble my recorded shows.