Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing V31 TiVoLater

Duvell:

Never tested with mvchannels, so I guess it may be a problem.

Your bash problem sounds like the rc.sysinit was editied and that the "export ROOT=/etc/root" was removed or the bash on ttyS3 is no longer started with the "/bin/bash < /dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &" The export needs to come first.

its_me:

dunno what to tell you, I tested with 2.01 for all 3 units and had no problems. Try to download one of the 2.01 images from ftp.abs.net/tivo and retore one before doing the uppdate.

jrogers:

you set a static ip by editing the rc.net to add the static ip. DO a search for static ip with KRavEN's upgrade.

fixsub takes care of the daily call, but needs to run daily with cron
    Information wants to be free....

Kraven, I found a post with the following:

ifconfig net0 192.168.1.220 netmask 255.255.255.0
    route.tivonet delete default 2> /dev/null
    route.tivonet add default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 dev net0

does this replace your DHCP if statement in the rc.net file, or does this go after that? I've tried this setting in rc.net before it goes to rc.remote-login, but it still didn't make any difference. Maybe I have to tell the network device to do go down before it can go up, I don't know.

Also, I have the newest cron loaded, of the hacks that are out there, which ones need to run in cron, what time is good? 3 am? frequency, and do I simply use the command /tvbin/fixsub31.tcl? or anything else?

Thanks for your patience... I'm slowly getting it.

Jrogers

Whenever you want for cron, that's the right command.

I also believe that post on the static ip said to rename the dhcp file in etc, I don't remember the exact filename, but it's in that same post. I also believe it's in the readme for my update.

kraven,
    will your upgrade work on a DSR6000 that has been updated by the new 2.52 plus xplusz script? i now am at 2.52 but i lost tivonet and ftp so i want to install your upgrade for the drivers but dont want to mess anything up...
    thanks
    q

hold up, did some more reading and it looks like you already put everything i need in the 2.52 update. i just need to use xplusz to turn it on. how do you get this to work with static IP addys or am i all wrong about everything

ps...i did try to put the add on in rc.remote-login that was in your notes but that didnt work for me...i also renamed the dshpclient in /sbin ....still nogo
    Last edited by quantum_3; 01-20-2003 at 04:40 PM.

Kraven
    thanks for the upgrade
    the install went very well
    but none of the alias' described work at all

any ideas?

thanks

p.s. when i reboot it hangs on 70% acquiring channels
    i did a mvchannel.tcl reset as descibed didnt help, when i run through sat setup again, it acquires fine, any ideas there?
    also tivoftpd does not load i cannot access through ftp
    telnet is fine and bash, seems to be all that is working
    btw just so u know, i did the bash install
    i tried replacing the boot299 file for u know what
    but now the reboot just stalls on powering up, so im starting from scratch i guess

thanks again
    Last edited by UnionYes; 01-20-2003 at 05:54 PM.

Originally posted by UnionYes
    Kraven
    thanks for the upgrade
    the install went very well
    but none of the alias' described work at all

any ideas?

thanks

p.s. when i reboot it hangs on 70% acquiring channels
    i did a mvchannel.tcl reset as descibed didnt help, when i run through sat setup again, it acquires fine, any ideas there?
    also tivoftpd does not load i cannot access through ftp
    telnet is fine and bash, seems to be all that is working
    btw just so u know, i did the bash install
    i tried replacing the boot299 file for u know what
    but now the reboot just stalls on powering up, so im starting from scratch i guess

thanks again
    The btl file problem I have no idea what went worng, but it works, so you must have messed something up. =]

The bash problem, like I said u a few posts, as long as you didn't modify rc.sysinit then bash should be fine. You should not be running my extreme25 upgrade on top of this. If you are then that is why stuff is screwed up. If anyone else runs across this, please post your rc.sysint so I can see what happened. You may also try typing "export ROOT=/etc/root" and then typing "bash". If this regains the aliases then the export got removed from the rc.sysinit for sure.

well basically im in hell right now

ive reinstalled xtreme25 now, rebooted, got the GSOD let it do its thing
    tech tv came on, all seems ok
    then i pull the drives and try the 3.1 upgrade, Kraven's
    i do that with the iso in my pc
    everything seems to go ok
    i put the drives back in my tivo and it reboots
    but in sys info it still says 2.5.1
    im at a loss here
    simple thing has turned to hell

I dunno what is happening. I tested, and so did quite a few other people, with both the T60 xterme and DSR6000 Xtreme images. Try getting one of the 2.0 images fro ftp.abs.net/tivo and put that on and then do the update.

All I can think of now is that something didn't go right when you put extreme back on because there isn't ever supposed to be a GSOD after re-doing extreme or any image for that matter.

Kraven

i, in no way, am blaming you for this
    just one of those things is all

im sure ill figure it out, just venting a bit

maybe my frustration will help some others in the future

thanks for your quick responses btw

UnionYes

im also wondering if the prom flash may have screwed me
    as i did that with the install

hmmm

Didn't get very far

Could not load software: couldn't change working directory to "./KRavENInstall": no such file or directory

The directory is there and I can "cd" to it just fine.

Ideas?

okay, moved the package and script to a directory called "/update_temp and specified a "Target" on the command line like this:

./Update.tcl ntsc /update_temp

So now it is continuing on...

update finished -

can telnet in to dhcp address. can't "ls" or much of anything else. I am able to get directory listing by typing "cat" and then <tab>, <tab>. at the end of rc.sysinit I see:

HOME=/etc/root
    export HOME
    /bin/bash < /dev/ttyS3 >& /dev/ttyS3 &

What's going on?

rc.sysinit:

First I'd like to say that Kraven's upgrade rocks... And now for my observations...

1st don't just upload the upgrade to root chmod it and run the script. instead upload it to some subdirectory and define the target when you run the script. I used /var/hack. I had to manually add export ROOT=/etc/root to the rc.sysinit. ftpd was not loading automatically at startup. the rc.remote-login showed that it was cheking for tivoftpd in some directory like /tivo-bin. I didn't see any tivo-bin directory. Since I saw that tivoftpd was in /bin I just changed the check to look in /bin, and it started fine. everything else seems to work great. I also loaded most of the modules, and they seem to work fine.

I just wanted to point one more thing out that may be causing a few headaches for those replacing a certain file. When copying a certian btl file from the previous version it is easy do the following to make sure the permissions and such are correct.

1. mount -o remount,rw /
    2. mkdir /mnt/oldpart
    3. mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/oldpart
    4. cd /mnt/oldpart

you then can copy what ever you need from the old partition

when finished just type: umount /dev/hda4

Again thanks to all, but in this case especially Kraven who puts out a great upgrade, and also has to listen to all of us whiners after he puts something like this out...