Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing V31 TiVoLater

I've read threw this thread a couple time now and unless I'm a crack head I havn't seen an answer to this? For some reason after I installed the update its not starting with root set at /etc/root. I made the change and it still goes to / I am using telnet if that matters? Any way I can get those alias' to start up another way? Also I installed xPlusz and everything seems to work except ftp. It worked before I installed it now I have to manually start it from the prompt. its in the path too so I can type tivoftp from anywhere and it'll start, woudn't think xPlusz would have a prob with it. Thanks in advance.

That must be some good crack

To get ftp to start you need to edit the rc.remote-login If you look at the file in the post a few above you can see the changes that were made to get it to start automagically. You need to edit the file so it looks like this.

if [ -e /bin/tivoftpd ]

I think it originally looks like

if [ -e /tivo-bin/tivoftpd ]

as far as the .profile stuff is concerned. I must be smoking crack as well. I can't seem to get it to work right either.

Originally posted by Tha_mailman
    That must be some good crack

To get ftp to start you need to edit the rc.remote-login If you look at the file in the post a few above you can see the changes that were made to get it to start automagically. You need to edit the file so it looks like this.

if [ -e /bin/tivoftpd ]

I think it originally looks like

if [ -e /tivo-bin/tivoftpd ]

as far as the .profile stuff is concerned. I must be smoking crack as well. I can't seem to get it to work right either.
    type cp /etc/root/.bashrc /.profile

You'll be fine.

Good point about the directory for tivoftpd I noticed that yesterday evening.

Thanks JJ. I'm a knuckle head. I did copy .bashrc to .profile and removed all the tty stuff. I just didn't copy it to /

Thanks

Thanks guys, I got the .profile thing workin. The ftp issue though I know I can get it to work that way but it doesn't explain why it won't start from xPlusz.
    Last edited by TheErMinE; 01-24-2003 at 12:04 AM.

I was wondering what is the best way to load mvchannels and noppv? Is it overkill to have it in the sysinit? If not how exactly should I add them to it? I was thinking of doing it this way.

/bin/mvchannels.tcl -loop=0 -file=/bin/channels.dat > /dev/null &
    /bin/noppv.tcl dump > /dev/null &
    /bin/noppv.tcl > /dev/null &
    But I thought that might cause problems. Wanted to ask the experts first. Thanks.

Originally posted by TheErMinE
    I was wondering what is the best way to load mvchannels and noppv? Is it overkill to have it in the sysinit? If not how exactly should I add them to it? I was thinking of doing it this way.

But I thought that might cause problems. Wanted to ask the experts first. Thanks.
    The best way is with cron. Get the latest version from tivostuff.

It's pretty self explanatory.

Only advice is that you don't want to dump your noppv all the time. That feature exists to make the process FASTER. Doing it every time you need to run the application, will be counterproductive.

Also, aside from the terrible overhead caused my mvchannels, this too is best run from cron.

Lastly, noppv needs to be run MUCH MORE than at boot time. New PPVs are added every hour or so, and subsequently, noppv.tcl needs to run every hour or so, to make sure you catch all the new stuff.

If you must run mvchannels, I would say that once every 5 or 6 minutes is fine (without the loop command) , and noppv should run every hour at 59 minutes past the hour or so.

Get cron, read about it, install it and come back.

Rock on JJ, one more thing about mvchannels.. the only thing I need it for is to move local channels to different numbers. Can I take everything else out of the .dat file and just have the ones I want changed? That would sure speed it up too.. Thanks again for the help.

Alright, I got cron goin and now I have another prob.. It reboots after getting to about 75% everytime.. I renamed the crontab so it woudn't run and it boots up fine.. can you take a look at it and see if I messed something up? Thanks..

# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
    # Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
    # command to install the new version when you edit this file.

# for TiVo: This file doesn't use a user field like system-wide crontab
    # normally do. Everything runs at uid 0 (not that it matters for TiVo).

SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/sbin:/bin

# m h dom mon dow command
    */59 * * * * /bin/noppv.tcl -5 >> /hack/noppv.out

*/5 * * * * /bin/mvchannels.tcl -file=/bin/channels.dat > /dev/null

*/5 * * * * /bin/sd.tcl >> /hack/sd.log

add the following to the crontab:

MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    TIVO_ROOT=""

it should run fine then

Originally posted by Tha_mailman
    add the following to the crontab:

MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    TIVO_ROOT=""

it should run fine then
    Absolutely correct. This will solve your problem.

Rock on JJ, one more thing about mvchannels.. the only thing I need it for is to move local channels to different numbers. Can I take everything else out of the .dat file and just have the ones I want changed? That would sure speed it up too.. Thanks again for the help.
    yeah.

kewlio people. Thanks a ton for all the help. One more question though? Where I'm running those files from and what not, do I have to leave the / partition rw? Or should I move things to /var instead?
    Last edited by TheErMinE; 01-25-2003 at 06:55 PM.

kewlio people. Thanks a ton for all the help. One more question though? Where I'm running those files from and what not, do I have to leave the / partition rw? Or should I move things to /var instead?
    I have two things to say:

1) when executing some of the files, your should probably do a "rmrw" so they can do what they need to do, but they can run from / Most files should reside in a subdirectory of your choosing. The /var partition is risky due to it's transient nature. Under normal running circumstances, you can leave it ro (rmro).

2) ... and I say this slightly tongue-in-cheeck, but with all seriousness; STOP asking so many damn questions, and try it yourself. TRUST ME, you'll figure out the answer in one or two tries. You had a 50/50 shot at this last question. There was no reason to post that question and then wait for an answer.

Give things a shot. That's how you'll learn. If no one ever tried it without asking a question, who would ever have an answer?

Most of the regulars at DD are more than happy to help out. I like it a lot. ( I even stopped telling folks to search for the answer - usually- ) But you will be able to help out too, if you do it for yourself...

Ya know what I mean ?

Knock yourself out..

JJ

Can't record; error #51

I went through and rebuilt my T-60 with a maxtor 160 GB hard drive, I loaded 2.0, then 3.1, then all the hacks, everything seemed good before I loaded the hacks, but I know I didn't try to record anything, so I'm not 100%, but if I try to view now showing, or record a show, it tells me that there is an error in my Tivo and that I should call Sony and reference error number 51.

I don't know what it's doing, last time I upgraded to 3.1 by the same means on my stock 40G Maxtor drive, and I had problems getting my locals to work. I only wanted the real locals that I subscribe to to work, but they continually showed TBA, even after a week.

This time the upgrade looked good, as I have my locals working, but I get this error message. Does anybody know anything about this? Am I plagued to not have a fully functioning tivo?

It's kinda useless not being able to record... I can pause, rewind, switch tuners, but no record, or viewing recorded shows.

thanks for any help,

Jrogers