Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Introducing V31 TiVoLater

Does anyone know how to get rid of the Menu "Tivolution Magazing" from DirecTV Central?

I have upgraded an XTreme 2.51 DTivo that had this menu item and it is till there in 3.1 even though it is not used as TM is in "Showcases". I also upgraded a virgin XTreme 2.51 which did not have that menu item or "Showcases" before the upgrade. After the upgrade, the virgin DTivo, after being in the stream for about 3 nights now has "Showcases" in DirecTV Central but not "Tivolution Magazine".

Is there something I can check in this virgin DTivo so I can make the other DTivo remove that menu item since it is not used anymore?

Kraven, any work with Series 2?

Hi Kraven,
    Will any of your updates work with a series 2 3.1 tivo? I mean in terms of automated update to the rc.sysinit etc.
    Nitrous

Installing TiVoLater on an existing 3.1 system

Is it possible to install TiVoLater on an existing 3.1 system? I hacked my system by hand after it already had the 3.1 tivo software.

Re: Installing TiVoLater on an existing 3.1 system

Originally posted by scotte3
    Is it possible to install TiVoLater on an existing 3.1 system? I hacked my system by hand after it already had the 3.1 tivo software.

Then there's no reason for it.

What would you hope to accomplish with Tivolater ?

I would like to make available on my system all the tools/hacks which are included in the TiVoLater build. From reading the posts, it sounds like the tools have been located to a location other than /var/hack/. There also seem to be several additions to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit which automatically run certain utilities at boot.

I have put in place many of the utilities discussed on the forums, obtaining them from many disperse areas. Having a "common" build with a standard set of utilities in a standard location is a good idea. For example, the use of "modules" for the TiVoLater build is a great idea. However, if you don't have your system set up in this standard way, it makes it very difficult to install new utilities (because the instructions often assume your system is set up a certain way, i.e. 25extreme, 31tivolator, etc.)

My tivo software was already at 3.1 when I first installed my TurboNet card. Rather than blowing it away and burning a new system image with all the hacks in place, I chose to add utilities manually. To me, this is more fun and it also gives me a better understanding of how things are set up and what they do. I'm trying to learn as I go. In restrospect, this is much more difficult and time consuming to do (compared to installing one of the pre-built system images.)

I guess what I ultimately would like to know is this: What must be put in place on top of the standard Tivo 3.1 software so that the system is set up like the TiVoLater 31 build? Specifically, what is the base directory where the hacks are installed? What utilities are included? (a tar.gz of the directory would be great.) What utilities are being called in the init file?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Get a copy of Tivolater, open the scripts and folders, and start reading.
    SpongeBob is not a contraceptive - Bart S.
    A tabloid, is that one of those really strong mints? - Homer S.

If you extract the tivolaterr cpio there is a cpio in it called bin.cpio. This can be extracted from root having it force overwrite and all the stuff should go in place. All you would need to add would be the modules for nfs and smb.
    Information wants to be free....

Thanks KRavEN and BubbleLamp. I successfully extracted and installed the bin files and updated my .bashrc with the new aliases, etc. Your help is appreciated.

JRoss Guest
    KRravEN -

Please check your PM when you get a chance. I was hoping you could answer a question for me........

........I know, I know.... get in line and take a number, right?

JRoss Guest
    ...........thanks

It has been a long time for me, I know the rules about 3ms But I am soooooooooo Confused.... my t60 took a dump today.. i got the gsod screen, and now I dont know what to do, as I dont have any p4s... as i read it thats what I will need now after the Upgrade? please have pitty on me...... as now my 60 gigs is almost full and I would Hate too loose everthing...... I just squeeked by last time, I think it is 2.5 I have on there about 8 mo ago....Help Thanks Dane

Dane,

There are lots of posts on solutions to a Series I TiVo that has been updated to 3.1 (and so 'needs' a P4 card to be happy)

In particular, search for boot299.btl and take it from there.
    You'll be up and running in no time.

Nitrous

JRoss Guest
    Help!

I've been unable to find that file!

You haven't been reading the posts.
    You already have that file, if you have had a 2.5.x system running.

Nitrous

JRoss Guest
    Sorry nitrious. You're correct. I was looking for a file to download rather than for instructions on how to alter my own file. I'll get to work on it.

THanks