Thread: OT: DynDns: updating via netgear router

OT: DynDns: updating via netgear router

I'd like to start off by saying I know I should just build a linux router/firewall, but I'm just trying to find a quick fix until I have time to properly build one

Now for my question. I have a Domain setup with DynDns actually it is a custom DNS so for the sake of argument lets call it Thamailman.net. Now my ISP blocks incoming traffic on 80 so I set up my web server on lets say port 69. Now what I did was set up 4 subdomains. www.thamailman.net www2.thamailman.net tivo.thamailman.net and tivo2.thamailman.net. I then setup a redirect on www.thamailman.net and tivo.thamailman.net to point to http://www2.thamailman.net:69 respectively (so the redirect to the port would be stealth and look much nicer). My question is does anyone know how to setup a nextel router to update www2 and tivo2 subdomains only. I can only seem to update one or the other.

I know this is waaaaaayyyy off topic, but it's still an interesting question IMO.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tha_mailman; 01-17-2003 at 11:14 AM.

I think I found a work around, but I'm still interested in suggestions. The reason for me wanting a subdomain for my tivo was so that the virtual server would work correctly, but I didn't want to have to use something like www.thamailman.net/tivo. So what I'm going to try is to redirect tivo.thamailman.net to www2.thamailman.net:69/tivo. I just hope everything get redirected correctly. Comments are still welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Question: Why would you want to make your tivo available on the internet in the first place and make it available for people to corrupt and crash? Just curious..

I'm using apache as a proxy and combined with my firewall it's secure enough for me. The only port being passed to the Tivo via the wan is port 80.
    Last edited by Tha_mailman; 01-17-2003 at 02:10 PM.