Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: (deprecated) HDVR2/DSR7000 Hacking Instructions (was "My HDVR2 hacking experience")

Originally posted by rpl
    Seems like nothing should be changed in the rc.sysinit file. Seems that the TIVO executes its own version of the file when it detects the file was changed. You can follow this on the replace rc early or late thread.
    well, sort of. using straight bash_env, the initrd will always replace a modified rc.sysinit or rc.arch. the problem with replacing the rc.sysinit in hackinit is that it doesnt happen soon enough apparently, so changes won't run. as rpl mentioned, this is all discussed in that thread.
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Delete me, Im a dumbass and posted in the wrong thread.
    Last edited by Waymond Trimmer; 08-26-2003 at 08:54 AM.

Should the System Info show 3.1.0-01-2-151 or 3.1.u5-01-2-151?

Should the System Info show 3.1.0-01-2-151 or 3.1.u5-01-2-151? I've been following the guide serveral times and one point I got 3.1.u5-01-2-151 on the system info. After several time, now it's show 3.1.0-01-2-151 and I can't get bash to work at all. I had serial working once until i added some more lines in the hackinit. The serial cable i have work, tested it on a series 1 tivo.

Here's what i did after I restored the 3.1.0-01-2-151 to a 120gb drive, mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi /mnt/c/<3.1.0-01-2-151> /dev/hdc

bootpage -p /dev/hdc reply root=/dev/hda7

dd if=/mnt/c/disk2/dt2_U5kernel.img of=/dev/hdc6
    genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/
    dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdc16 bs=1024 count=1

bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda16\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

hackinit shows

#!/bin/bash

date >>/var/hack/hackinit.log

PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:/tvbin:.

#Environmental variables

TIVO_ROOT=

MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10

IGNOREEOF=1000

export PATH TIVO_ROOT MFS_DEVICE IGNOREEOF

/bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&

What am I missing? I have all the files in the /var/hack. I tried the u5-151-hacked.mfs and it get stuck on the almost there screen.

I was using damn u5 image. System info now shows 3.1.u5-01-2-151.

Re: My HDVR2 hacking experience

Originally posted by mrblack51
    for some reason, I wasn't able to restore the image I pulled off my original drive back to my original drive. I kept getting errors saying that my drive was too small for the image (yes, i didnt use the -s 127 flag). After grabbing another 40gb drive that was slightly larger, all went fine
    Has anyone else run into this? I'm trying to monte my system (accidentally dowloaded the "upgrade" for the HDVR2) and want to use the old drive to put the u5 image on so that I could pull the proper kernel and filesystems partitions off of it. I can't use the downloaded u5 image or the image that I made off of the original drive .

Not sure of the solution to that problem, however if you give me a few more days to sure everything up, you can expect to find a complete monte guide along with u5 kernel and fs images up on my site.

Cobelli
    Hacked HDVR2 with all the goods

Originally posted by cobelli
    Not sure of the solution to that problem, however if you give me a few more days to sure everything up, you can expect to find a complete monte guide along with u5 kernel and fs images up on my site.

Cobelli
    Talk about timing! I got the software update the other day so my hacks have been wiped out. I was not using monte but rather the u5 kernel replacement technique. Now that the hacks were 'upgraded' by DirecTV I decided this would be a good time to try the monte version.

Thank you for all your effort!!!

Now to prep myself for the monte, should I go a head and do the u5 kernel replacement again? I've read through the monte thread but that is a novel in discovery and a lot of info to assimilate at one time.

I hope your guide will include how to keep recordings intact!

Thanks again!

HDVR2 Tivoweb Question

Hi,

I have the tcl version of tivoweb 1.94 loaded on my hdvr2 (3.1.1c/monte) tivo and I can't seem to get the folders module (folders.itcl) to work. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what functionality folders adds to my tivo. I was hoping it would give me the ability to create folders and organize my recordings in my tivo Now Playing List. I've copied the file to my /var/hacks/tivoweb-tcl/modules directory and restarted my tivo (not just tivoweb) and I don't see any new capabilities. Perhaps this only let's you organize recordings for viewing Now Showing in through the web interface.

Scott

Is this history or a bad xtal-ball read?

Quote Originally Posted by cobelli

Cobelli

TyStudio support for HDVR2

Hi,

I have a HDVR2 expanded to two hardrives and running various hacks: (mfs_tools) tytools, vserver, etc. I can sucessfully use tytools to extract ty files from my tivo using mplayer. This works fine. I attempted to use tystudio to load a local ty file and it crashes tystudio while loading. I used tystudio to dump the tivo's Now Playing List and it complains it can't connect. Ideally, I would like to know if other users with similar equipment and software tools have been able to edit ty files using tystudio. If this approach just isn't meant to be, are there any other tools I should look at? All suggestions welcome.

thanks,

scott mollica

Quote Originally Posted by TiVo-Thom
    I think the post is obsolete now. People are using the Sleeper script to perform Monte these days.

Quote Originally Posted by scottym
    Hi,

I have a HDVR2 expanded to two hardrives and running various hacks: (mfs_tools) tytools, vserver, etc. I can sucessfully use tytools to extract ty files from my tivo using mplayer. This works fine. I attempted to use tystudio to load a local ty file and it crashes tystudio while loading. I used tystudio to dump the tivo's Now Playing List and it complains it can't connect. Ideally, I would like to know if other users with similar equipment and software tools have been able to edit ty files using tystudio. If this approach just isn't meant to be, are there any other tools I should look at? All suggestions welcome.

thanks,

scott mollica
    What type of editing are you planning to do in TyStudio? Have you tried the GOPEditor in the latest TyTool? See this link for step by step

I Admit it, I need guidance!

OK, I admit it, I need guidance! I lurk alot, try to follow the promnent threads, spent a few months on emule, "D/L-ing " anything that comes up HDVR2, but I am so overwhelmed with all of the info, I don't know where to start! I got 2 HDVR2s, upgraded both to dual HDDs one of the units lost a drive (and ALL of my favorite shows ) So after a month of trying to save my stuff I gave up. Mentioned here that I wanted to expand my capabilities to export to DVD my favorite show, instead of gambling they would not get lost in my D-TiVo. I saved up my $s and am ready to buy 2 of the largest drives I can use in my HDVR2. What image and hacks do I need to best suit my needs? Have LAN I want to put this on and a nice HTPC with DVD burner and TONS of HDD space (Big RAID) any pity out there for me, please suggest what I need and documentation to apply the hacks properly! Thanks so much!

Tivo-Thom, For HDVR2, I suggest you to read the Sleeper thread completely. After you actually hack your DTivo, read about TyTools, mfs_ftp, TivoWebPlus.

35 Well that was pretty reserved!

Thanks Waruwaru, that isn't exactly what I was hoping to get for a response for several reasons: 1st, what is the title of this thread anyway?? 2nd, usually one of two things happen when one makes a post like I did, either they are completely ignored; the case when a straight answer is controversial and/or there is no right answer, or a decent informative thread comes to life. The reason I am here is to learn from folks that have accomplished something through trial and error. If everyone wants everyone else to do the same trial and error, might as well get rid of this board! But there are individuals, afraid to do a thing, mainly because of lack of experience or lack of time to dedicate, or both (both as I work 100 or more hrs a week making things like this board possible for you). A simple use image “xxx” locate item “1” and item “2” and go to URL “xxx” for the best procedure would have helped. But that won’t happen if everyone is afraid to get some controversial responses from peers who think there way is better. That’s what I wanted to see. By submitting this post I have likely caused a thread to start that has NOTHING to do with TiVo experimentation at all, I hope I am wrong. I appreciate your minimal suggestion, but you know, I have at least 10 images, 6 copies of the Sleeper scripts, along with nearly 3 more gigs of TiVo stuff downloaded and I am no better able to put my unit back “on the air” than before you replied… Maybe we can get the moderator to rename this thread "HDVR2/DSR7000 Hacking Redirects"