Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: (deprecated) HDVR2/DSR7000 Hacking Instructions (was "My HDVR2 hacking experience")

Well, after adding a few comment lines to this hackinit to tell me where I was, and after commenting out all the stuff about the tivoweb connections, I find that dssapp does seem to be copied over, and so too does rc.sysinit. Problem is that it still hangs at "almost there" screen.
    I am having the same problem. Any ideas?

Sara,
    If your using the same hackinit that nitrous posted, my guess is the order of the commands are not liked by TIVO. Try moving that sleep 60 seconds and fixsub to the end of your hackinit. Also add some echo "installing this or that " > /dev/ttyS2 commands to see how far you get. I would start by using the hackinit file MrBlack posted on the very first post, then add your additional hacks. Each time you modify your hackinit file just make sure you chmod it.

I have 3.1.0-01-2-151, I'm not sure what to do?

If I have 3.1.0-01-2-151, It doesn't look like I can use the script from Ingineer, right?
    So, is it possible to get the other version somewhere?
    THanks!

Do a search on U5. There is a FTP site listed somewhere that has a U5 image for download. Your best bet is to start with your current image, back it up, restore it and copy over the kernal from U5. Didn't you get this from reading Ingineer's or Mr Blacks posts?
    Last edited by rpl; 07-12-2003 at 01:58 PM.

hmm

nitrous... or tivosohn did you ever get your WD drives to get past the almost there screen. I think I have the same problem.

Did you try to restore your original image onto your new WD drive and see if you can get it to boot before trying any hacks? Double check jumper settings.

Last night I was trying to install a new Maxtor drive and it was hanging at the almost th... screen also. I was trying to use an image downloaded that was already hacked. After a couple of hours playing with that I decided to just run though the steps listed here to get bash and was up in an hour. About the same amount of time it would have taken to do the "clear and reset"

hmm

oh, upgradesoftware=false doesnt do anything, since its never checked. i will look at the rc.sysinit to see what should be set.
    The updateSoftware.tcl file has that S capitalized. Would that make any difference to the command in the boot parm?

OK, folks, I'm as green as it gets with regard to this stuff. However, I have an HDVR2 with a 40gig hard drive, and a spare 160gig hard drive sitting around. Seems like a match made in heaven. While I'm at it, I figured I might as well accomplish all of these things at once:

o Upgrade the drive to 160gig
    o Obtain a BASH prompt
    o Make my Linksys wireless adapter work with the USB port
    o In order to accomplish those two, change over th 31U5 and set it up so it doesn't automatically upgrade.

Eventually, I'd like to be able to extract video from it (nothing major, but I hate taking up TiVo space (or formerly ReplayTV space, which is what I'm replacing) just because there's a 3 minute section of "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" that I find funny and would like to hold on to (and my VCR sucks badly enough that taping to VCR isn't really an option).

Anyway, I figure anything I need to do to the thing later, I should be able to do using the BASH prompt and the USB wireless with telnet.

So, I've read about 50 threads on this and a couple of other chat boards, and I've come up with the following list of steps. Before I actually take everything apart and try it, could someone tell me if this at least SEEMS like a reasonable set of steps?

1) Put TiVo drive (40gig) and new drive (160 gig) into PC.
    2) Boot with the Hinsdale boot CD (the version with bootpage and genromfs included).
    3) dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hdd bs=1024k (hdc is TiVo drive, hdd is new drive)
    4) Shut down PC.
    5) Pull TiVo and new drives, put in blank 40+gig drive, boot.
    6) Boot with CD.
    7) Restore 31U5 image to new drive
    mfsrestore -s 127 -xbzpi <31U5 mfs file> /dev/hdc
    8) Shut down PC.
    9) Put new TiVo drive in as master (hdc), 40 gig 31U5 drive in as hdd.
    10) dd if=/dev/hdd6 of=/dev/hdc6
    11) mfsadd -x /dev/hdc
    12) Reboot machine, taking note of last /hdcXX, which will have a blank line after the name, and follow a line with "Apple Free" on the line.
    13) Mount the CD-Rom and change directory into it.
    14) img/bootpage -p /dev/hdc (verify that it says root=/dev/had7)
    15) Mount /dev/hdc9 to /mnt/tivo
    16) img/genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/
    (Or is / still the CD-Rom? Do I need another location to write to?)
    17) dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdcXX bs=1024 count=1 (where XX is the same XX we found in step 12)
    18) mkdir /mnt/tivo/hack
    19) mkdir /mnt/tivo/hack/bin
    20) cp -p /cdrom/devbin-s2/* /mnt/tivo/hack/bin
    21) Make my hackinit file as follows:
    cat > /mnt/tivo/hack/hackinit
    #! /bin/bash
    date>>/var/hack/hackinit.log
    PATH=/var/hack/bin:/sbin:/bin:/tivobin:.
    /bin/bash</dev/ttyS2&>/dev/ttyS2&
    insmod /diag/usbcore.o
    insmod /diag/usb-ohci.o
    insmod /diag/pegasus.o
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.200 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask \
    route add default gw 192.168.0.3 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    22) chmod -R 777 /mnt/tivo/hack
    23) bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS/dev/hdaXX\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc (again, XX is as determined a while back)
    24) Reboot, and turn off computer once everything shuts down.
    25) Put new TiVo drive into my machine...

So the quesiton is, will step 26 be "Rejoice that it all worked perfectly and I now have 160gigs of space and a working bash prompt and can telnet in" or will it be "Cry, because something screwed up, and it doesn't work at all"?

Also, I seem to have lost the step that prevents the TiVo from upgrading the software. Can anyone suggest what that might be?

I think that's everything for now. As I said, I gathered all of this by reading lots of different threads, so it's perfectly possible that one or more of these hacks is incompatible with each other. I certainly won't hold anyone accountable if they read through this and think it should work and it doesn't, but if I've got something wrong in here, it sure would be nice to know it BEFORE I'm elbows deep in TiVo guts.

Thanks.

Not quite.

Step 1 & 2 I think you are going to backup your existing Tivo drive and restore it to the new 160 gig drive that is ok. I'm not sure of your method but you want to make a back up of your existing TIVO and restore it.

Step 3 isn't going to work there. ??

Restoring the U5 image to a 40 gig may or may not work. Not all 40 gig drives are the same size. Also don't expand the U5 disk when trying to restore it to a 40 gig I think you need to get rid of the -s and the -x switches. You can experiment to see what works for your hardware.

Interesting that you want to do step 10 before you check and see what partition you should use on step 14

In your hackinit your missing TIVO_ROOT, MFS_DEVICE, IGNOREEOF, export statements

Also I read you should put in at least a slight delay before you load the pegasus.o file. maybe a Sleep 4

Step 21a CTRL+D

Also you mention that you would like to evenually do video extraction so you should also find the thread for kmem, download that file and add kmem 800b23b4 to your hackinit file to stop the video from being scrambled
    Last edited by rpl; 07-13-2003 at 11:49 PM.

Prevent software upgrade

This is covered earlier in this thread. Two methods. You can copy your updateSoftare.tcl file to your hackinit directory and rename it then delete the original file. Or you can comment out the lines that call this file in your rc.sysinit. If you want to modify your rc file then you will need to put the approp commands in your hackinit.

Also I forgot to mention when you write your hackinit file I would add at least one echo command.

echo "Starting Hackinit ... " > /dev/ttyS2

Thanks, RPL.

Most of the things you point out were typos (I wrote down all the steps I wanted to take on my laptop in two of three different files, and then typed them over into the post while merging).

Just to be certain here, though:

>Step 1 & 2 I think you are going to backup your existing Tivo
    > drive and restore it to the new 160 gig drive that is ok. I'm
    > not sure of your method but you want to make a back up
    > of your existing TIVO and restore it.
    >
    > Step 3 isn't going to work there. ??

According to Hinsdale's HOW-TO, steps 1-3 will work in lieu of making the copy. It does a full copy of the existing TiVo drive onto the new drive, preserving all shows and everything. Hinsdale says it's slow, but will work in one step, rather than using several steps and the backup tool to accomplish the same thing. I decided to go that route because I'm not in a hurry and because I have a tendency to trust lower level functions like "dd" over higher level ones (even though later on I'm trusting those higher ones for other purposes).

(Keep in mind that since I'm not modifying the original TiVo drive at all, it becomes my de facto backup)

However, if you're certain it won't work that way, I will modify my steps. (?)

> Restoring the U5 image to a 40 gig may or may not work.
    > Not all 40 gig drives are the same size.

OK, the spare drive I have is actually an 80gig drive which I'd previously used to upgrade my ReplayTV, but your point is well taken.

> Also don't expand the U5 disk when trying to restore it to a
    > 40 gig I think you need to get rid of the -s and the -x switches.
    > You can experiment to see what works for your hardware.

Cool, this is something I definitely didn't know. I'll spend a little more time looking at mfsrestore and the args before continuing!

> Interesting that you want to do step 10 before you check and
    > see what partition you should use on step 14

Another typo. I was consolidating two lists of instructions, and steps 10 and 11 were definitely supposed to follow step 14, good catch, thanks!

> In your hackinit your missing TIVO_ROOT, MFS_DEVICE,
    > IGNOREEOF, export statements

Hmmmmm. Can you tell me what these statements should look like?

> Also I read you should put in at least a slight delay before
    > you load the pegasus.o file. maybe a Sleep 4

Again, thanks!

> Step 21a CTRL+D

Yeah, it's in my notes. Another typo. But good call, thanks!

> Also you mention that you would like to evenually do video
    > extraction so you should also find the thread for kmem,
    > download that file and add kmem 800b23b4 to your hackinit
    > file to stop the video from being scrambled

Yeah, I actually have kmem and was going to play with it later, once I got all of this done. But I figured if I can get to the point where I can telnet to a BASH prompt on my machine, I can always do things like adding kmem later.

Thanks a great deal, however, for taking the time to answer a newbie's questions!

Originally posted by Liam1965
    > In your hackinit your missing TIVO_ROOT, MFS_DEVICE,
    > IGNOREEOF, export statements

Hmmmmm. Can you tell me what these statements should look like?
    check the first post in the thread
    Step one: search button!
    Silly Wabbit, guides are for kids

Your welcome good luck I think you'll do OK.

If the dd of your original drive gives you the apple_free and the blank partition go for it. I know backing up and restoring works, don't know about this method. I didn't go back and read Hinsdale. You'll know soon enough if it doesn't work.

Also if your actually using an 80 gig drive go ahead and leave the -xzbpi. Not going to hurt anything

Red face Well... PARTIAL success anyway...

OK, I finally got all of the tools necessary to perform the steps I listed, and I've gotten some odd results. Some of them sound familiar from things I've seen people post before, but for the life of me I can't seem to find those posts or how people say they got around them...

First off, the success part: I have gone from a 35 hour TiVo to a 200 hour one.

However, whenever I boot my new, larger TiVo, it hits the "Welcome" screen for a bit, then reboots itself, THEN it boots fine. I *BELIEVE* that it is recognizing the changes I made to rc.sysinit and is correcting them and re-booting.

When it boots, under system information, I get software version 1.3.2.... whatever it came with, *NOT* 1.3.U5..... I've re-copied the partition 6 from the 1.3.U5 image several times, but after the power-up...reboot...power up sequence, it still thinks it's 1.3.2.....

The hack and hack/bin directories are NOT being deleted (thank goodness, that was one fear I had, having read someone's response to that effect).

Lastly, with regard to the USB port, my LinkSys wireless adapter's power light now goes on, but I'm unable to get any response.

From my Linux box, here are the results of several commands:

>telnet 192.168.0.200
    Trying 192.168.0.200...
    telnet: connect to address 192.168.0.200: No route to host

> ftp 192.168.0.200
    ftp: connect: No route to host

> ping 192.168.0.200
    PING 192.168.0.200 (192.168.0.200) from 192.168.0.3 : 56(84) bytes of data.
    From 192.168.0.3: Destination Host Unreachable
    <same message repeats until I kill PING>

My initial thought is that either the system really is still at 3.1.2...., and the light on the wireless adapter is a red herring, or I'm correctly at 3.1.U5, and either the adapter isn't working right, or the instructions for getting a bash prompt had something specific in them for getting said prompt through the serial prompt, and there are some other steps I need to take to get said prompt through the USB wireless port.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Will.

Bleah, I've been awake too long. Of course I meant 3.1.U5 and 3.1.2, not 1.3.U5 and 1.3.2....

Will.