Thread: Serial Port on New HDVR2

Serial Port on New HDVR2

Hi everyone, i was reading about getting a bash prompt on the new tivo HDVR2 connected to a serial port, but my New Tivo Does not have a serial port, so my question is what is the alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Two4Lu

You could get one of those usb to serial adapters, cross compile the driver as a module, and then use the bash_env string to load the module and get bash on it.

Don't have a S2 yet, but that's what I will be trying once I get one.
    Information wants to be free....

Ethernet would be so much easier and have a much higher speed....If your PC doesn't have an ethernet adapter, you should definitely get one, ethernet networking serves a multitude of purposes. Plus its very cheap.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Re: Serial Port on New HDVR2

Originally posted by two4lu
    Hi everyone, i was reading about getting a bash prompt on the new tivo HDVR2 connected to a serial port, but my New Tivo Does not have a serial port, so my question is what is the alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Two4Lu
    if you have an HDVR2, then your tivo has a serial port (all tivos have serial ports). its on the back above the ir blaster port, in the middle of the unit. you will need a bash cable to use it. the others are right, in that USB Ethernet is better, but you can make a bash cable for next to nothing as well.