Thread: REQ: hints on what new DVD player to purchase that will play extracted Tivo files

Unhappy REQ: hints on what new DVD player to purchase that will play extracted Tivo files

I've tried a Pioneer DV-333, a 3-year old Toshiba, and a Denon DV-1600 Progressive Scan DVD player but with no luck. I've extracted the TiVo ty file and demuxed into a m2v and mp2 files, used ifoedit to import them and author a DVD, but none of the 3 DVD plyers I listed above will play the DVD cleanly enough to have it worth watching. Does anyone know what DVD players will play ifoedited DVD-Rs as well as VCDs and SVCDS on CD-Rs? I desparately need one that works. Thanks!!!

What are you processing with, vsplit or tydemux?
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

Sponsor a vegetarian! I have taken the pledge, how about you?

Sorry, I'm using tytool5....tried both vsplit (vsplit into *.ty and them parse file to m2v and mp2) and tystream modes (tystream into m2v and mp2). Then input those files into ifoedit. I also played with the audio file changing it to 48000. Nothing seems to work with the different model DVD players I have.

Try tydemux, it corrects the various errors that can be present in an otherwise perfect looking tystream, including buffer underruns and missing frames, and possibly the ones causing the problems you are seeing.
    Before PMing me: Iím not your personal tech support. If you have a question, ask in public so I don't have to repeat if somebody else asks. If you want images or slices, use emule. I will ignore all support PMs.

I have the Sony DVP-NC600. It's a 5 disc changer. It's played everything I've thrown at it. VCD, DVD-R, DVD-RW, and tyDVD's. It has not balked at cheap media either. From what I've read, it won't play SVCD, but I've never tried them.

I think this is last year's model, so I don't know if you'll still be able to get one. I do know that this years model will play tyDVD's (I've tested on my brother-in-law's), but I don't know for sure about any other formats.

Pioneer DV-440 or DV-444 (Progressive)

Alpha, I must be a complete *****. I downloaded TyDemuxFe and cannot figure out how to use it. I wish there was a website with instructions on how to split ty files with it.

The readme pretty much covers it all.

I have a Sony DVP-NS715P that seems to accept any disk and plays all the Tivo resolutions (352,480,544, and 720)x480 on both CD and DVD media.

The downside is that the audio sample rate must be 44.1kHz on CD media and 48kHz on DVD media. Other rates will cause the audio to change pitch and the video will speed up/slow down accordingly. The unmodified download of my SA player (32kHz) resulted in 'The chipmunks going in fast forward'.

Hamsterman
    "There is no gift like the present"

Apex DVD players are well-known to play everything you can find lying around the house up to and including clods of dirt. They're also extremely cheap, so I'd recommend giving one of them a shot... they'll play CDRs with MP3s on em, the newer ones will even let you view JPEGs. It will play MPEG files burned onto CDRs, CDRWs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, whatever the heck ya want even if they're burned in data mode. I wouldn't even be really surprised if the things played a raw TY stream, tho I imagine the result would be a little messed up.

OtakuCODE

I am wondering, has anybody tried this on an xbox?

i have to agree the apex players will play anything, i've used dvd+r and dvd+rw, svcd on my players, the 1100,1500, and 600 (this model won't play the +rw's).
    if i had to buy one today i would recommend the 1500, you can still get it at walmart online...

Virtually any DVD player introduced in the last year or so should be capable of playing DVDs made from a tystream video source. It's not so much that the tystream is not a valid DVD spec. It's more of a capability of the player to be able to read any sort of recordable DVD formats. DVD-R and -RW discs (as well as +R & +RW discs) require a different wavelength laser than what is used for manufactured commercial DVDs. Recordable DVD formats are still relatively new, which is why players older than 1 or 2 model years cannot read these discs. I got rid of my Toshiba player because it wouldn't recognize them at all. My Sony DVP-NS715P doesn't even blink when I feed it a DVD-R or -RW disc. Older DVD-ROM drives for PCs also cannot read these discs. My son's current model Playstation 2 (V7) also plays my TyDVDs. I haven't tried them with an XBox but they are reported to work with them as well.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!

I am having trouble with my TyDVD's (haven't got one working yet, but still trying.)

I have:

Apex 1200 - el cheapo, but I know that it does work with the dvd-rw media I have because I have made a few successful dvd backups and they played fine.

I have tried splitting with tydemux and vsplit13. I have used both the ifoedit method and the spruceup method and neither have played. The dvd player recognized the dvd as DVDvideo, but with the ifoedit metho i get a black screen and no audio, with the sprueup i get a completely white screen and no audio.
    Anybody have any ideas for me?
    Is it just my player?

Oh, I have also tried taking the hit in quality and transcoding in tmpgenc 2.59 plus (it is pretty zippy with a dual athlon 1800) but it crashes within a few seconds of beginning the transcode (I have tried using the resulting m2v from both tydemux and vsplit) any suggestions here?
    -zabs
    ========================
    DSR6000 67 hours (80gig WD drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened / w/Turbonet
    Sat-T60 35 hours (40gig Quantum drive) Xtreme'd / Kravened

I think I may have read something about the Apex 1200 not being as forgiving of DVD formats or disc types as most of their other models. I don't know this for a fact (it may have actually been an aural hallucination on my part). I've never had any problems playing TyDVDs on any of the current crop of players on the market. I did a hands-on comparison of over a dozen players about 6-8 months ago and every player I tried played DVDs burned using either SpruceUp directly with my Pioneer A03 or using Nero in UDF/ISO format. Using the DVD Video format in Nero only seems to work with projects authored in IFOEdit, although it may work with other programs as well.

I use SpruceUp almost exclusively for authoring DVDs. I usually burn them directly to DVD from SpruceUp but sometimes I write them to a title set so I can burn them later with Nero. I never transcode the video as I try to maintain the best possible picture quality I can get (transcoding to a different resolution can degrade the quality). I've been burning TyDVDs for about 8 months now and never had a problem getting them to play in a compatible player. I just picked up a couple of surplus Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM drives and put them in my kid's PCs. My daughter is away at college but comes home on weekends. She likes to play DVDs in her dorm room (I gave her my old Toshiba but it doesn't play TyDVDs). Now she can borrow from the library of movies I've accumulated when she stops home (hey, at least it'a an incentive for her to visit other than doing her laundry or bumming gas money).
    Last edited by captain_video; 01-26-2003 at 12:25 AM.
    Please don't PM me or any other members looking for personal assistance. You'll do better by posting (after you've exhausted the search feature, of course) and taking advantage of the collective expertise of the membership instead of a single individual that may or may not be able to help you. Thank you and enjoy your stay at DDB!