Thread: New (old) SA... okay to upgrade?

New (old) SA... okay to upgrade?

Just got a used Phillips HD212 off of ebay. It's used, but doesn't look like it was used all that much...

I'm planning on hacking it, and my planned 'mods' are:

- Installing TurboNet,
    - Increasing disk space. (I have 2-120gb drives ready and waiting)

Someone told me that you can't get a bash prompt under version 3 - is that still true?

Also, when I do up the storage space, should I use the v2.5 image that I downloaded (forget where...) or what?

I'm just worried that if I upgrade to v3, I'll have issues in trying to hack the Tivo.

I hacked my 3.0.something HDR212 (same model as yours) with no issues, beyond discrepancies with some of the PPP tutorials.

I've got PPP up and running (dead modem) and I have been successful in doing the Guided Setup and first call over PPP. I haven't reactivated the defaultroute yet because it's been a few days and I'm still reviewing whether I should continue to keep it on the net or not.

Does anyone know anything about version 3.2 and what it does? I'd like to know if I should let it continue to call in or prevent it from upgrading.

Update!

Just wanted to give 'ya an update...

Got home and unpacked the Tivo... got all the wires hooked up and went to reach for the power cord - no power cord. A trip to Radio Shack, and some 'touch up' with my pocket knife, I got the cord to fit.

The modem's bad. It was sold "as-is" so oh well - wasn't planning on using it, anyway. Popped off the cover (which was a bitch - that puppy was on TIGHT!) and installed my TurboNet card. Took a little 'wiggling' to get it to fit, but it did. Hooked it up to my Linksys 8-port DSL router and away I was (interestingly enough, in the router, in the DHCP table, it shows my tivo's name as "BIGB". Go figure.) Went through the guided setup and entered the ",#401" for the dialing prefix and off it went!

20 hours may seem like a lot, but folks, 20 hours can go QUICK! After setting up a couple of season passes, it didn't take long. Not to worry, I've got 2-120gb Maxtor's ready to go in.

Was gonna do it last night, but the computer that I was going to use has a faulty Secondary IDE port - figures. I'll use one of my other computers, tonight, to do the upgrade - going by the Hindsdale How-To guide, word-for-word.

Wish me luck!

PS: Oh, and it was used... unfortunately, it wasn't a lifetime sub, but I'll survive. The version installed was 3.00.
    Last edited by Bad_Dog; 01-29-2003 at 11:03 AM.